Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 04:39 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times

Advertisements

How many people with Type I diabetes here have had the disease for 50 years or more? My wife has.

If you have, you are entitled to receive a "50 year medal" from the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston, Massachusetts. Joslin is the perhaps the oldest and most respected name in diabetes treatment and research.

My wife and I went back to Boston in April of 2014 and she was given a medal. There is also an opportunity to participate in a large research study. Medical researchers want to know why some people with diabetes live longer and experience fewer complications than others do. If you are selected to participate in the research study, you will get a certain amount of free medical care, plus an occasional all-expense-paid trip to Boston, so they can follow up with you.

Plus the 50 year medal is an honor to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 11:37 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Congratulations to your wife, Mark.

I would suspect that one big factor in diabetics that achieve what she has is a determination to master the disease and not let it win, and that must take a tremendous amount of dedication and effort. Well done!

Old 01-30-2015, 12:58 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,080 times
I shall add my kudos. A remarkable achievement!

Old 01-31-2015, 03:17 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Congratulations to your wife, Mark.

I would suspect that one big factor in diabetics that achieve what she has is a determination to master the disease and not let it win, and that must take a tremendous amount of dedication and effort. Well done!
Well, she has shown much dedication. Checking your blood sugar four times a day and adjusting insulin doses depending on results takes discipline and some savvy.

It has been noted that many of the Type 1's who have had minimal complications in 50 years of diabetes apparently still produce at least some minor amount of insulin. You might appreciate this link.

50-Year Medalist Study | Joslin Diabetes Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I shall add my kudos. A remarkable achievement!
Thank you. Your kind words (and those of Suzy) are appreciated.

I'd love to hear from other long termers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes