Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 02:23 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,662,635 times

Advertisements

Been told by my Diabetic Education center there is many programs out now that help people that take insulin can get free insulin or help on some of the cost. I have a appointment this month to see about all these programs which I hope will help me on costs. When Apidra is 111.00 a vial and Levemir is 230.00 a vial it's getting way over priced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 07:13 AM

14,434 posts, read 14,365,800 times
John,

The cost of insulin and diabetes supplies is quite high and I would recommend the following to you: If you live in a community that that has a Community Health Center than go there and talk to them.

Community Health Centers are publicly funded entities that are located in poor communities with a mandate to serve lower income populations. The fees for medical services are "sliding-scale" and based upon your ability to pay. Generally, many pharmaceutical companies provide medications to the CHC's at low cost. This enables them to provide them to the population they serve at an economical price.

Insulin was discovered by a Canadian physician named Fred Banting in the early 1920's. Banting was not interested in making a fortune. Accordingly, he worked out an agreement with the pharmaceutical company, Eli Lilly, to provide insulin to diabetics at an extremely low price. This lasted for literally decades. However, insulin choices were quite limited.

In the last twenty years, pharmaceutical companies have invented special insulins that act for specific periods of time. On the upside, they are more effective in helping a diabetic maintain good blood glucose control. However, the downside is that they tend to be enormously expensive--as you have pointed out.

If there is no CHC near you, you might also talk to your family doctor or endocrinologist about access to special programs directly through the pharmaceutical company.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:36 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,920,170 times
Here are some resources, maybe it will help: American Diabetes Association - Resources for Discount Strips, Insulin Help, and Medical Assistance - American Diabetes Association Community

Old 02-04-2015, 07:58 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,130,544 times
I know a friend of mine is a diabetic and she uses the reli on by Walmart . they produce the machine and the insulin it is the same as novolin insulin , just a suggestion that maybe your dr could switch you to that brand I know she told me that they make several versions of the reli on such as reg , lente , both short acting and long acting insulins so I thought I would mention that . I hope this helps . take care of yourself .

Old 02-04-2015, 09:07 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,662,635 times
Thanks for the help and I will post what I find out about Free insulin or help with the costs on here after my appointment.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:28 PM

4,491 posts, read 4,996,281 times
Mom took part in a clinical study. Yes, the meds were free...but we just found out and she feels in her gut that the meds she took has caused damage to her heart due to the side effects of increased blood pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes