Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 12:24 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,725,723 times

Advertisements

and, please, NOT those big, crazy-looking Frankenstein shoes! LOL!!

I have been having NO luck at all finding sneakers or comfortable shoes. I'm constantly in pain and it always feels like my socks are scrunched up under my toes or that my toes are being crushed together. By the time I get home, my ankles are insanely swollen as are my feet.

I have neuropathy and will hopefully be going for some testing soon to determine the extent of it.

In the meantime, I need a pair of sneakers I looked in several places today and couldn't find anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 11:50 AM

10 posts, read 14,601 times
Hello Amisi,

Finding comfy shoes is harder than it should be. Many shoes on the market are narrow in the toe. Everyone feet slowly swell throughout the day, so space is a must. The best shoes I have found, that also look nice, are Keen's. Try to shop for shoes at the end of the day. Keen's are unique because they are all wide in the toe area & that's a great thing. Their hiking shoe are one of my favorites, too. Good luck.

Official Keen Site | Free Shipping & Returns

Kind Regards,
Frank
www.fivehourdiabetic.com

Old 03-15-2015, 02:07 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,220 times
I love the Merrill tennies my wife bought for me. Comfortable, lightweight, expandable, especially as my feet can swell quite a bit during the day sometimes.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:35 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
I have some New Balance tennis shoes that feel great. They're huge and ugly but no cute little shoe is going to fit my foot. My only problem with my New Balance shoes other than the ugliness is that they're too wide in the heel to ride my bike, the heel gets caught on the chain guard.

I also like to wear Crocs flats, the ones that don't look like Crocs, like these: Crocs Women and cowboy boots. I always thought boots were too uncomfortable, but I got some Justin Gypsy boots with the round toe for Christmas and they're really comfy. I actually bought another pair because I like them so much, and I've been wearing them pretty much all the time.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I love the Merrill tennies my wife bought for me. Comfortable, lightweight, expandable, especially as my feet can swell quite a bit during the day sometimes.
I also bought some Merrills ,the triple E size is perfect,most comfortable sneaker ever, although they aint cheap.My shoe of choice is the Merrill Moab.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=Merre...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Along with diabetic socks,life is good

Old 03-16-2015, 05:47 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,725,723 times
I used to have this pair of combat boots (before they became popular) and they were the most comfortable shoe I have ever had! Maybe I'll head over to the Army/Navy store to see if they have them.

My foot doc also told me New Balance are the best because they have the large toe box. I looked for some but, surprisingly, the stores by me didn't have any. I'm going to check out Modell's and see if they have them. If not, there IS a New Balance store close to my job but their prices are probably 2x what they would be in a regular store.

Merrills as well as Keens are pretty pricey!

I also have to get some diabetic sox!

Old 03-16-2015, 08:34 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I used to have this pair of combat boots (before they became popular) and they were the most comfortable shoe I have ever had! Maybe I'll head over to the Army/Navy store to see if they have them.

My foot doc also told me New Balance are the best because they have the large toe box. I looked for some but, surprisingly, the stores by me didn't have any. I'm going to check out Modell's and see if they have them. If not, there IS a New Balance store close to my job but their prices are probably 2x what they would be in a regular store.

Merrills as well as Keens are pretty pricey!

I also have to get some diabetic sox!
My New Balance shoes came from the New Balance store, because it was impossible to find an 11W anywhere else in women's. I paid about $180 for them. I've never owned a pair of shoes that cost that much before. But they are very comfortable and they stabilize my foot more than most shoes.

I have also heard good things about Ryka shoes on the ADA forum, but haven't seen any in my size to try on. They're supposed to have a good amount of space in the toe box too.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:50 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
I generally wear brooks running shoes 2E width. Mainly because I wear orthotics for flat feet that cause overpronation, and Brooks shoes seem to fit orthotics the best. I'm a Diabetic but I don't have any foot problems due to the disease. I think Brooks is a good fit for a Diabetic there shoes just seem to be roomier vs other brands. Shoe's are expensive no way around it. Especially if your a hard fit and need proper widths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes