Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:23 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times

Advertisements

One thing I do to calm my burning feet is to rest my feet on a wet towel when sitting and I have to lay a wet towel at the foot of my bed when i go to sleep.

I used to regularly soak my feet in a bucket of ice water for about 20 minutes 5 times a day, but my Doctor advised against continuing to do it. Is there anything you all do to calm your neuropathy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 09:36 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
It seems to affect me more when I am off of my feet. Walking helps. If you keep you BG numbers low that will help as well. There is also medication such as Lyrica. I aleady take enough pills so I opted out but if it becomes untolerable I may consider medication. IMO I think heat would help better than cold. Try soaking your feet in hot water, foot spa, a whirlpool, go into a sauna. That has always helped me. Heat will improved circulation which will help.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I take gabapentin, which used to help a lot and now is not helping that much. My BG has been good for a year so people have said maybe my recent increase in pain is because the nerves are healing. I'd like to think so, but I'm not sure.

Another thing that I see recommended a lot is alpha lipoic acid, a supplement you can buy at the grocery store or drugstore. I've been taking 200mg twice a day for six months and not noticed any difference. I recently increased my dosage to 600mg twice a day and noticed an immediate difference in the tingly, crawling feelings I get, but no improvement yet in the burning feelings. Alpha lipoic acid can lower your blood sugar, so you have to monitor carefully when you start taking it. Last night I had a low, a first for me since my diabetes meds (metformin and victoza) do not usually cause a low, so I'm thinking it was from the increased dosage of alpha lipoic acid.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:40 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Believe it or not, I've found that copper infused compression socks (Miracle Copper XL-don't get the small) are actually relieving the pain.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:02 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Believe it or not, I've found that copper infused compression socks (Miracle Copper XL-don't get the small) are actually relieving the pain.
Sadly, I cannot wear socks, unless they are pulled out of the freezer first--socks do not allow my feet to cool off so i cant wear them

Old 04-19-2015, 09:24 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
I have a hereditary form of peripheral neuropathy, nerve damage all over my body. For various reasons, I choose not to take anything like Gabapentin. Tried muscle relaxants, small doses........disgusting, felt like a zombie (hard for me to believe people actually get addicted to muscle relaxants)!

I have been regularly taking Vitamin C, very helpful for the burning pain of neuropathy...... but chose to stop. Ascorbic Acid can and many time does convert to Oxalic Acid in the body. Limiting or not taking Vit C is many times recommended for people who have shown Calcium Oxalate (Oxalic Acid + Calcium) in their urine. My last couple of urinalysis have show Calcium Oxalate.

I am now taking Alpha Lipoic Acid, 150mg twice a day, working just as good if not better than Vitamin C.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:53 PM

373 posts, read 482,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
One thing I do to calm my burning feet is to rest my feet on a wet towel when sitting and I have to lay a wet towel at the foot of my bed when i go to sleep.

I used to regularly soak my feet in a bucket of ice water for about 20 minutes 5 times a day, but my Doctor advised against continuing to do it. Is there anything you all do to calm your neuropathy?
Gabapentin or lyrica, and strong control of your diabetes to prevent further damage.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:24 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
I took Gabapentin for a very short time. It did nothing for my neuropathy. It only made me sleepy and loopy.

I love the thought of an ice bucket but they say it's dangerous to expose your feet to ice like that because you may not feel the cold and could do damage to your skin.

I wish I could find some relief! My feet burn, I have the pins/needles, if anything touches my feet I could SCREAM! I hate wearing socks because I feel like they're scrunching up under my toes even if they're not.

So frustrating!

Old 04-24-2015, 11:20 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I took Gabapentin for a very short time. It did nothing for my neuropathy. It only made me sleepy and loopy.

I love the thought of an ice bucket but they say it's dangerous to expose your feet to ice like that because you may not feel the cold and could do damage to your skin.

I wish I could find some relief! My feet burn, I have the pins/needles, if anything touches my feet I could SCREAM! I hate wearing socks because I feel like they're scrunching up under my toes even if they're not.

So frustrating!
The gabapentin made me sleepy and loopy the first two weeks I took it, and I adjusted to it after that. It doesn't make me sleepy at all anymore.

Have you tried alpha lipoic acid? I've been taking 600mg twice a day for a while now and I don't get the tingly feelings, and even the burning has gotten much, much better...I can use the elliptical for 30 minutes now, which was impossible a few weeks ago.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:41 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The gabapentin made me sleepy and loopy the first two weeks I took it, and I adjusted to it after that. It doesn't make me sleepy at all anymore.

Have you tried alpha lipoic acid? I've been taking 600mg twice a day for a while now and I don't get the tingly feelings, and even the burning has gotten much, much better...I can use the elliptical for 30 minutes now, which was impossible a few weeks ago.
I am not familiar with lipoic acid.. I did just google it and I am reading more about it. How long does it take to start working. Since it is a supplement I assume there are no side effects?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes