Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 10:36 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times

Advertisements

Same here, Relion Prime mentioned above has been accurate for me and just as accurate as the "One Touch" brand which are ridiculously expensive for the strips. I have verified against the tests done in the doctor's office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 01:04 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Same here, Relion Prime mentioned above has been accurate for me and just as accurate as the "One Touch" brand which are ridiculously expensive for the strips. I have verified against the tests done in the doctor's office.

Yes, the One Touch are terribly expensive and that is the only meter my insurance would cover, go figure. I use a Bayer Contour for my cat and the test strip are very reasonable.

I will look into the Relion. Thanks

Old 09-25-2015, 07:15 PM

175 posts, read 846,562 times
I too use Relion from Walmart. Very low priced and can use as desired.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:25 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
I too use Relion from Walmart. Very low priced and can use as desired.
This is the one I use also.

I notice insurance companies have changed their rules drastically in recent years. About 2 years ago, they allowed me enough strips to test 3-4 times a day. This was by doctor's orders, as he wanted me to test fasting, before lunch, before dinner and before bed. I am also on Metformin. I know whether you are on medication or insulin makes a difference as to how many strips a day they will allow.

All of a sudden this year, they won't cover the same amount of strips anymore. They will only cover 50 a month, even with my doctor's prescription to the contrary. Given the strips for my meter were astronomical without insurance (I was using the One Touch Ultra I believe) I just switched to the ReliOn Prime through Walmart and their strips. Ends up being cheaper than what I would pay with insurance.

I mainly just test fasting now since I can generally tell by my body when my sugar is high (I get sensitive above 150-160 and get pains in my arms and legs).

While I understand the paranoia of wanting to test more, you're better off just doing some research and sticking to low glycemic foods.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:28 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Do people who are pre-diabetic really only test once per day?

A lot of diagnosed diabetics only test once per day.
You are testing excessively for no reason.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:00 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

Everyone's different, you know. Why should I have to follow standards that are acceptable for someone else? My fasting is always normal, and I had undetected type II for years. Finally I bought my own meter and kept a record, taken at random times, I was running 600+ those meters don't go beyond 600, so it could have been way higher. Damage had already been done, I had a type of neuropathy that threw my balance off. I had been tested for everything except neuropathy. They just kept saying, oh, your fasting BG is fine......and didn't pursue it any further.

Actually, it was my cat who diagnosed it. I had a glucose meter, but misplaced it----didn't matter, all doctors ever looked at was a FBG. Well, I had misplaced the meter, then, one day, kitty came in my room dragging the meter in its little carry case. She was howling like a cat does when they've caught some sort of prey. Well, I thought, been awhile....she literally kept howling until I used it---598 I tried it again, 599 Then, I tried various family members, they were all normal, so its not like the meter was stuck at that reading! I should have gone to the ER right then, but I had an apt scheduled the next day with my PCP, and we couldn't afford the $500+ deductible for the ER.. So, the next day, I went to see PCP, who wasn't there. Instead, another doctor was filling in. He actually looked at my meter, then tested again with their own, fasting was about 450+ But I had to insist he LOOK at my meter, he acted like I was just overreacting.....then, he just put me on ONE metformin/day until my regular doctor returned, he didn't want to interfere with her "protocol" which was, essentially, nothing.

Since then, my BG has normalized, mainly due to diet changes, but I use the meter to determine which foods affect me and how. My balance has stabilized as well. Oh, I use Relion brand meter and strips, too. Much cheaper. Even if you just use the amount the insurance allows, some of them are duds, sometimes enough blood doesn't come up, etc. You can't always keep it exact.

Relion also makes other home health care equipment, like blood pressure kits, etc

Old 10-02-2015, 02:08 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Everyone's different, you know. Why should I have to follow standards that are acceptable for someone else? My fasting is always normal, and I had undetected type II for years. Finally I bought my own meter and kept a record, taken at random times, I was running 600+ those meters don't go beyond 600, so it could have been way higher. Damage had already been done, I had a type of neuropathy that threw my balance off. I had been tested for everything except neuropathy. They just kept saying, oh, your fasting BG is fine......and didn't pursue it any further.

Actually, it was my cat who diagnosed it. I had a glucose meter, but misplaced it----didn't matter, all doctors ever looked at was a FBG. Well, I had misplaced the meter, then, one day, kitty came in my room dragging the meter in its little carry case. She was howling like a cat does when they've caught some sort of prey. Well, I thought, been awhile....she literally kept howling until I used it---598 I tried it again, 599 Then, I tried various family members, they were all normal, so its not like the meter was stuck at that reading! I should have gone to the ER right then, but I had an apt scheduled the next day with my PCP, and we couldn't afford the $500+ deductible for the ER.. So, the next day, I went to see PCP, who wasn't there. Instead, another doctor was filling in. He actually looked at my meter, then tested again with their own, fasting was about 450+ But I had to insist he LOOK at my meter, he acted like I was just overreacting.....then, he just put me on ONE metformin/day until my regular doctor returned, he didn't want to interfere with her "protocol" which was, essentially, nothing.

Since then, my BG has normalized, mainly due to diet changes, but I use the meter to determine which foods affect me and how. My balance has stabilized as well. Oh, I use Relion brand meter and strips, too. Much cheaper. Even if you just use the amount the insurance allows, some of them are duds, sometimes enough blood doesn't come up, etc. You can't always keep it exact.

Relion also makes other home health care equipment, like blood pressure kits, etc
What kind of neuropathy messes with your balance? Just curious because I have balance problems, I tip over toward one side sometimes, the same side all the time. My husband says it's just clumsiness, but he said that about me falling all the time before my neuropathy was diagnosed. Now it's a lot better but I still have the balance problems. I wear shoes that are supposed to help with stability and balance but they don't keep it from happening.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Yes, the One Touch are terribly expensive and that is the only meter my insurance would cover,
Its been my experience that blood glucose testing meters can usually be had for free as the companies make their profits on those test strips.=
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...+glucose+meter
I've been type 2 diabetic for almost 20 years and find it rather pointless to test more than once a day.If you want to know what foods produce what results just check out which food have a high glycemic index,avoid them as much as possible.
Sites like this one gives you the idea.
Glycemic index and glycemic load for 100+ foods - Harvard Health

Old 10-03-2015, 02:33 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

You would have been in a coma or dead (or both) if the numbers were that high for extended periods of time or often.

I grew up around Type I and Type II diabetics and at my age have buried more relatives than not because of diabetes. I know exactly how different everyone is and a "PRE" diabetic testing several times daily is excessive no matter how you want to spin the words.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:08 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,938,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
That's true, a lot of diagnosed diabetics only test once per day, and some even less.

I just got diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes this summer, after 6 years of being pre-diabetic. But, I am just barely "over the line" and my A1C is just a tiny bit more than it was all along. My doctor, who is an endocrinologist as well as an MD and sees mainly diabetics, wants me to start testing my blood sugar now. He told me that I should test it once a week - - not even once a day, but once a week.

So, I have been testing every Saturday morning. So far, so good. I haven't seen anything alarming yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes