Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 10:49 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,018,423 times

Advertisements

My partner has had type 2 diabetes for the past 10 years. Since I've been with him (13 months now), I've become the cook- and have been able to make some good, positive changes. He's cut way down on processed foods and I've been able to make substitutions in our food that he can definitely live with.

That's the good side.

The not-so-good side is trying to get him to eat on a regular basis. He knows that he needs to, it's just a matter of finding something that he will eat. We've got the sweet stuff down. Now I'm looking for something more savory. We've gone the hard boiled egg route, and he's getting sick of those. He is not a fan of nuts at all, and is pretty much "meh" about just eating a plain piece of cheese.

Part of the issue is that his bs is high in the mornings, and we are trying to get him to eat something close to bedtime to see if that will help.

(If it matters, cholesterol is not an issue for him.)

Any ideas or links would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 02:30 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,485,219 times
Here's a bunch and they have a section for snacks since I have no idea what he likes

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Recipes

Peace Love and Low Carb ?

Old 11-05-2015, 06:09 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,019,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
My partner has had type 2 diabetes for the past 10 years. Since I've been with him (13 months now), I've become the cook- and have been able to make some good, positive changes. He's cut way down on processed foods and I've been able to make substitutions in our food that he can definitely live with.

That's the good side.

The not-so-good side is trying to get him to eat on a regular basis. He knows that he needs to, it's just a matter of finding something that he will eat. We've got the sweet stuff down. Now I'm looking for something more savory. We've gone the hard boiled egg route, and he's getting sick of those. He is not a fan of nuts at all, and is pretty much "meh" about just eating a plain piece of cheese.

Part of the issue is that his bs is high in the mornings, and we are trying to get him to eat something close to bedtime to see if that will help.

(If it matters, cholesterol is not an issue for him.)

Any ideas or links would be greatly appreciated!
Netrition is a great place to purchase low carb food:

Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

Also:

LC Foods | Low Carb - Sugar Free - Gluten Free - Diabetic Friendly Baking Ingredients & Products

On these websites I regularly purchase the Country Biscuit mix, Chocolate Chip Cookie mix, the low carb bread mixes, Pizza dough mix, etc. Note that Hold the Carbs (also known as LC Foods) also sells freshly baked stuff life pizza crust and bread. I highly recommend the pizza crust (3 to a bag), which you keep frozen until ready to use.

For my breakfast, I usually make a pan of fritatas. Here is my receipe:
One, I use a cast iron skillet, for it will end up in the oven. Just make sure your skillet is approved for the oven.

Heat said skillet on stove top (medium). Add some olive oil to coat, then some chopped onion and/or minced garlic, and saute some.

Meanwhile, in my food processor, I use 5 or 6 large eggs, plus a carton of egg whites (or, 12 eggs, whatever; lately I have been using a carton of Eggbeaters Southwestern style eggs), and I get the eggs processed well, adding some sea salt, garlic powder and pepper. I usually let the processor go for about 5 minutes, which makes the eggs more 'fluffy'.

Meanwhile, in the skillet, add: spinach (about a cup or so); mushrooms (fresh or small can); meat (I usually chop up some cooked ham and sausage), and anything else that strikes your fancy (bell pepper, for instance).

Now, pour in the egg mixture, and sorta stir everything up. Now, top everything with cheese: I use a handful of Parmesean cheese, some grated cheddar, and some goat cheese, if available. Simply put, use your favorite cheese.

Now, turn the oven boiler on to 'high' (actually, do so at the outset). Place the skillet in oven, and cook for about 8 minutes. You do not want to burn the topping, but it should be a nice golden brown. In my oven, I usually put the skillet on the lower rack for half the time, then move to the top.

I initially used the method of Alton Brown:
Frittata Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

If you look herein, you will find other recipes I use, including my recipe for low carb Nutella.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:34 AM

Many thanks! I know it's tough without knowing what he likes or doesn't like, but I definitely do appreciate the links to the websites. And legalsea, that fritata sounds great!

Old 11-07-2015, 09:57 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,892,181 times
A Greek yogurt without added sugar (generally those 80 or 100 calorie ones will work) makes a good snack before bed. Greek yogurt has a lot more protein than regular yogurt, so it's worth the extra expense. Berries are also a good snack.

If he's on insulin, then I can see where skipping meals would not be good for him, but otherwise, snacking might not be that important. A lot of times I only eat one meal a day and my blood glucose remains fairly stable throughout the day. Lifting weights seems to help lower my morning blood glucose readings a lot more than having a snack before bed.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

If he's on insulin, then I can see where skipping meals would not be good for him, but otherwise, snacking might not be that important. A lot of times I only eat one meal a day and my blood glucose remains fairly stable throughout the day. Lifting weights seems to help lower my morning blood glucose readings a lot more than having a snack before bed.
No, he's not on insulin. The number one thing that we've been told though is, yes, to eat regularly. It's my impression that it is important for him to do what he can through diet and exercise to keep the blood sugar as regular as he can, without totally relying on the medication to do it.

Thanks for the suggestion about the berries. We'll add those to the rotation of the nighttime snacks.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:17 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,275,966 times
One of my favs is a celery rib or two stuffed with peanut butter, cream cheese or pimento cheese. I make my own pimento cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes