Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 06:53 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,054,270 times

Advertisements

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article...ulltext#sec4.2

Quote:
Abstract
The inability of current recommendations to control the epidemic of diabetes, the specific failure of the prevailing low-fat diets to improve obesity, cardiovascular risk, or general health and the persistent reports of some serious side effects of commonly prescribed diabetic medications, in combination with the continued success of low-carbohydrate diets in the treatment of diabetes and metabolic syndrome without significant side effects, point to the need for a reappraisal of dietary guidelines. The benefits of carbohydrate restriction in diabetes are immediate and well documented. Concerns about the efficacy and safety are long term and conjectural rather than data driven. Dietary carbohydrate restriction reliably reduces high blood glucose, does not require weight loss (although is still best for weight loss), and leads to the reduction or elimination of medication. It has never shown side effects comparable with those seen in many drugs. Here we present 12 points of evidence supporting the use of low-carbohydrate diets as the first approach to treating type 2 diabetes and as the most effective adjunct to pharmacology in type 1. They represent the best-documented, least controversial results. The insistence on long-term randomized controlled trials as the only kind of data that will be accepted is without precedent in science. The seriousness of diabetes requires that we evaluate all of the evidence that is available. The 12 points are sufficiently compelling that we feel that the burden of proof rests with those who are opposed.
The whole thing is a good read for anyone with type II diabetes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 07:49 PM

22,699 posts, read 24,748,611 times
For me, a very low-carb diet absolutely does keep my blood-sugar levels under control, in the normal range. I have not been formally diagnosed with diabetes......but when I do not watch my carbs, yikes, my BS starts going up and up.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:17 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,514,971 times
As some one who has been battling diabetes for nearly 20 years its obvious in my Blood sugar readings that low carb food intake equates to low blood sugar readings,

Old 06-15-2016, 10:22 AM

119 posts, read 127,387 times
But a low carb does not "cure" diabetes and even people following a low carb diet still have metabolic issues. The key that they are missing is the enzymatic vitamin cofactors that help lower inflammation, nevermind the several distinct genetic and environmental differences that can give rise to diabetes.

Diabetes is primarily an inflammatory disorder and inflammation can arise from several sources.

Type 2 diabetes is an inflammatory disease, say researchers - Medical News Today

Lowering carbs does not reduce inflammation so while you might not suffer from some of the neurological issues of high blood sugar you will still suffer from heart disease and other inflammation based disorders.

Looking only at blood glucose in diabetes is simplistic and dangerous to patients,

Old 06-16-2016, 03:02 PM

21,009 posts, read 28,615,323 times
My husband has been a type 2 diabetic since 2008. We are both eating low carb and stopped eating rice, pasta, bread and potatoes. We do eat beans and certain veggies that have carbs. His blood sugars have gone from 280 to 170 which is still slightly high but it's only been 1 month. He has stopped eating junk food too. He does have fruit as a snack once a day. He has lost weight too but not sure how much. He plans on weighing himself at the end of the month. He's overweight. He feels a lot better when his sugars are lower. He did get off meds in 2012 after loosing 100 lbs. He was off meds until about last year now he back on the metformin because he put some of that weight back on. Thankfully he has not been on Insulin.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:04 PM

35,308 posts, read 52,514,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_on_a_Coyote View Post
But a low carb does not "cure" diabetes and even people following a low carb diet still have metabolic issues. ,
There is no cure for diabetes,once you got it you're only option is to control it.
I find a low carb diet keeps my blood sugar at close to normal levels, however sticking to that low carb diet can be challenging.
Any particular diet you recommend for diabetics?

Old 06-19-2016, 03:14 PM

119 posts, read 127,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
There is no cure for diabetes,once you got it you're only option is to control it.
I find a low carb diet keeps my blood sugar at close to normal levels, however sticking to that low carb diet can be challenging.
Any particular diet you recommend for diabetics?

Really? i know at least two people who were on insulin for type 2 and they not only no longer have to take it but their blood sugar is normal.

Here is another example:
Type 2 diabetes and the diet that cured me | Life and style | The Guardian

Old 06-20-2016, 08:17 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,533,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_on_a_Coyote View Post
Really? i know at least two people who were on insulin for type 2 and they not only no longer have to take it but their blood sugar is normal.

Here is another example:
Type 2 diabetes and the diet that cured me | Life and style | The Guardian
Yeah, I bet you if they were to go back to eating unhealthy high carb foods their "cure" wouldn't last a more than a couple of weeks. Having a remission or being under control is NOT cured. The metabolic condition remains. The low carb thing is a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes