Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 11:22 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,780,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I thank you for bumping this up, as I missed this thread the first time.

I will try magnesium, since I have long thought (Type I diabetic) that my cells do not process the insulin I take very well, and I take a lot of insulin, even on my low-carb diet (I have an Omnipod pump).

I do tend to eat a lot of salad with butter-crunch lettuce that I grow; while it is a source of magnesium (looking it up just now), it is still rather minimal. I will try to incorporate spinach, as well as the supplement. We shall see!
Check spinach and oxalates. I don't eat fresh spinach but cooked some times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 10:16 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,021,495 times
I shall update: early last week I purchased a magnesium supplement, and began popping one in the morning.

I did not notice any difference in my blood sugar levels for the first four or five days (kept track, in part, by my Dexcom device).

However, by day six I noticed a definite improvement. Indeed, I guess on day seven or so I took my 'usual' dose of Novolog (via my Omnipod, using the extended feature) to cover the carbs in a food I often eat: I ended up fighting off low blood sugar by taking 3 or 4 glucose pills over the next hour or two.

I also suffered from the 'dawn phenomenon': I may wake up to a blood sugar level of 115, but if I did not take a hefty bolus immediately (say, 10 units), even without eating, my blood sugar would, in the next hour or two, raise to 170 or so (meaning, I fought high blood sugar for the rest of the day). The last few days: gone. No morning bolus needed until I have breakfast (which is always very low carb, not more than four grams, if that).

I have not changed my eating habits. Yet, it is incontrovertible, at least in my case, that the insulin is working as it should. I guess that the magnesium takes some days to become fully effective.

Anyway, count me, at least as of right now, as a convert.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I shall update: early last week I purchased a magnesium supplement, and began popping one in the morning.

I did not notice any difference in my blood sugar levels for the first four or five days (kept track, in part, by my Dexcom device).

However, by day six I noticed a definite improvement. Indeed, I guess on day seven or so I took my 'usual' dose of Novolog (via my Omnipod, using the extended feature) to cover the carbs in a food I often eat: I ended up fighting off low blood sugar by taking 3 or 4 glucose pills over the next hour or two.

I also suffered from the 'dawn phenomenon': I may wake up to a blood sugar level of 115, but if I did not take a hefty bolus immediately (say, 10 units), even without eating, my blood sugar would, in the next hour or two, raise to 170 or so (meaning, I fought high blood sugar for the rest of the day). The last few days: gone. No morning bolus needed until I have breakfast (which is always very low carb, not more than four grams, if that).

I have not changed my eating habits. Yet, it is incontrovertible, at least in my case, that the insulin is working as it should. I guess that the magnesium takes some days to become fully effective.

Anyway, count me, at least as of right now, as a convert.
Amazing and thanks for the update. Do MD's go to the magnesium issue?

If only diabetics knew this important mineral. Everyone for that matter.

I knew on young man with Type I and he went thru so much, have lost contact and I know 2 women with Type 2 but they don't "hear" me with what I bring to them, they keep trying various meds.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-07-2018 at 11:23 AM..

Old 03-09-2018, 05:41 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,021,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Amazing and thanks for the update. Do MD's go to the magnesium issue?

If only diabetics knew this important mineral. Everyone for that matter.

I knew on young man with Type I and he went thru so much, have lost contact and I know 2 women with Type 2 but they don't "hear" me with what I bring to them, they keep trying various meds.
I am going to inform my diabetes doctor (endocrinologist) when I see him next month. My last A1c was 7.0 percent (the best I have ever measured), and I shall be interested to see if it improves. Since my readings have become much more stable, I would hope so.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I am going to inform my diabetes doctor (endocrinologist) when I see him next month. My last A1c was 7.0 percent (the best I have ever measured), and I shall be interested to see if it improves. Since my readings have become much more stable, I would hope so.
It will be interesting to hear what the endo says about "your" findings. Thinking about the young fellow I knew with Type 1, I heard about him thru his grandmother, he would not take care of himself, I recall he was passing out often. The mag would be something that would help him too, but we've lost contact and grandmother died. Plus I attempted to get him on grape seed ex as there is a lot of info on this antioxidant and reduction of diabetes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes