Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 12:27 AM

15,653 posts, read 26,365,233 times

Advertisements

And they “upgraded” the lancet device. I was using an old freestyle, the new freestyle is awful. I draw on my forearm. I have to slap my arm a couple of times, then on the deepest setting, I have to push it into my arm hard to get a sample. So, I’m getting bruised up.

After Old Faithful croaked I tried a few others, and they were all awful. Anybody got any suggestions as to others that actually work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 06:58 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,514,971 times
Sounds painful, how much blood are you trying to obtain?and for what reason?

Old 05-23-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sounds painful, how much blood are you trying to obtain?and for what reason?
A small drop, for diabetic blood glucose testing. I test on my forearm because it doesn’t hurt. I did my fingertip last night, that wasn’t pleasant.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:56 AM

3,211 posts, read 3,004,388 times
I've never had that happen with any lancet, but I test on my palm or finger. Curious why you test on your forearm?

Edit: Oh I see, you just answered my question above. I don't find it painful to test on the palm at all, but a tiny bit painful on a finger.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:44 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,533,006 times
I test on the fingers. It helps to have a sharp lancet. I don't use a new one every time but as soon as I feel that it's become dull, I will change it. It also helps to poke my finger at an angle instead of straight in.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
A small drop, for diabetic blood glucose testing. I test on my forearm because it doesn’t hurt. I did my fingertip last night, that wasn’t pleasant.
Sounds like you are new to this blood testing. maybe try a diiferent lancet device. i use this one and dont feel a thing when doing finger pricks =https://goo.gl/images/LyJyrr but i've been doing it for 20 years .

Old 05-23-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sounds like you are new to this blood testing. maybe try a diiferent lancet device. i use this one and dont feel a thing when doing finger pricks =https://goo.gl/images/LyJyrr but i've been doing it for 20 years .
Been doing it for years. Had no issue with the old one, but the button broke, so the lancet wouldn’t launch. Tried two from the drugstore, each one would barely pierce. Luckily the outlay wasn’t bad.

So went online, and bought the new style device that goes with my meter. That isn’t very good either.

Will try drawing on my palm.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Been doing it for years. Had no issue with the old one, but the button broke, so the lancet wouldn’t launch. Tried two from the drugstore, each one would barely pierce. Luckily the outlay wasn’t bad.

So went online, and bought the new style device that goes with my meter. That isn’t very good either.

Will try drawing on my palm.
Most of the devices have a dial so you can dial in the required depth of needle penetration. This one is set on position 2 but can be dialed up to position 6 for a deeper penetration.=
https://goo.gl/images/Wjpdbg

Old 06-05-2018, 04:36 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,876,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I've never had that happen with any lancet, but I test on my palm or finger. Curious why you test on your forearm?

Edit: Oh I see, you just answered my question above. I don't find it painful to test on the palm at all, but a tiny bit painful on a finger.

Hi, newly diagnosed Diabetic here. I just got prescribed a test kit yesterday, and I love the idea of "painless" testing by using my palm, thank you!

Old 06-05-2018, 04:41 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,876,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I test on the fingers. It helps to have a sharp lancet. I don't use a new one every time but as soon as I feel that it's become dull, I will change it. It also helps to poke my finger at an angle instead of straight in.

Useful information, thanks! I'm just picking up my test kit today, so haven't even done my first test yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes