Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2018, 06:09 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

As I've posted before that I am pre-diabetic, and was testing my blood sugar on a regular basis. Then when reading on it I remember that I have gastroparesis since my 30s (not from diabetes). IIRC regular process to move food through the digestive system is 45 minutes, and mine is 90 minutes.

This totally throws off testing your blood sugar after meals.

Does anyone know the proper way to test blood sugar in this case?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 07:48 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
I'm just guessing here, and I know nothing about gastroparesis and diabetes, so take this with a grain of salt--I'd eat something I know would raise my sugar, test after 1-1/2 hours, and then test every 15 minutes until I saw the spike, and repeat this procedure for several meals until I could see a reliable pattern of spikes at the same time interval. That would tell me when to test my sugar thereafter.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I'm just guessing here, and I know nothing about gastroparesis and diabetes, so take this with a grain of salt--I'd eat something I know would raise my sugar, test after 1-1/2 hours, and then test every 15 minutes until I saw the spike, and repeat this procedure for several meals until I could see a reliable pattern of spikes at the same time interval. That would tell me when to test my sugar thereafter.
That makes sense!! Thank you.

And a legitimate reason to eat sugar.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:03 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikala43 View Post
that makes sense!! Thank you.

And a legitimate reason to eat sugar.
Okay, that made me laugh.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Okay, that made me laugh.
It's for science!

Old 09-17-2018, 09:39 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
The general advice is two hours after a meal. By that time, numbers should be back to normal. Another thing that affects the time is the type of food you eat. There are slow carbs and fast carbs. Beans and potatoes are examples respectively. The only way to know for sure is to establish a pattern and stick with it. Test at 1 hour, 1:15, 1:30 and so on till you find what you need. The other option is to get a CGM. It may be a little expensive but you would only need it for a while, just till you find out. That's up to your doctor, it requires a prescription. I wished it didn't. Maybe some day.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:07 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
As I've posted before that I am pre-diabetic, and was testing my blood sugar on a regular basis. Then when reading on it I remember that I have gastroparesis since my 30s (not from diabetes). IIRC regular process to move food through the digestive system is 45 minutes, and mine is 90 minutes.

This totally throws off testing your blood sugar after meals.

Does anyone know the proper way to test blood sugar in this case?

a) If you're convinced your gastroparesis isn't secondary to DM, what is it's cause? Pyloric stenosis? Post surgical adhesions? Autonomic insufficiency?

b) A prolong GI transit time is different than gastroparesis, and is more usually secondary to colonic, rather than upper GI factors.

c) Post-prandial BS determinations are only needed to confirm early DM when fasting BS is still normal. Once the dx of DM is made, ppBS is a useless number because we have very little control over it.

Pre-prandial BS is needed by those on a sliding scale insulin regimen.

One of the most common phenomena seen in Type II diabetics is an altered initial insulin response on initiating eating. This reflex is mediated by both neural means and more importantly thru the secretion of incretins. Diabetics seem to wait for an insulin response until the BS actually starts to go up an hour or two after eating so they;re always playing "catch up" rather than anticipating a rising BS like non-diabetics.

For that reason, constant nibbling results in more consistent BS control than sitting for set, larger meals.

Complication rates are minimized by keeping HbA1c levels<7% (ie- average BS <160mg%) and are not directly related to short term higher swings in BS.

Summary: don't worry about post-prandial BS.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:12 AM

Gastroparesis is ideopathic, but I suspect from post op adhesions, if anything.

I had a gastric emptying test, and I am double the norm.

Now I have to go look up the terms in 90% of your post.....

((not complaining, I appreciate your input))

Old 09-17-2018, 10:15 AM

Mayo clinic says side effect of gastroparesis is change in blood sugar levels....

Old 09-18-2018, 03:15 PM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Mayo clinic says side effect of gastroparesis is change in blood sugar levels....

Obviously BS runs high in diabetics who have gastroparesis as a complication. BS should be lower in those cases where DM isn't the cause--- slower release of food into the duodenum and then the jejunum, where most absorption of nutrients takes place, is equivalent to "constant nibbling."

The real point here is that post-prandial BS determinations just aren't important in managing DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes