Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 02:51 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times

Advertisements

I take several meds for diabetes, but I pay no attention to controlling my diet, in fact I eat and drink all the wrong things.
I do have complications both with my eyes, and bad neuropathy in my feet and legs. My blood sugars normally are in the 400 to 600 range and have been for years.

What I want to know is if I change my diet to something like it should be but I don't change my meds is that likely to take me too far the other way?

I will be seeing my endocrinologist next month. last A!C was 14.4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 03:15 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I take several meds for diabetes, but I pay no attention to controlling my diet, in fact I eat and drink all the wrong things.
I do have complications both with my eyes, and bad neuropathy in my feet and legs. My blood sugars normally are in the 400 to 600 range and have been for years.

What I want to know is if I change my diet to something like it should be but I don't change my meds is that likely to take me too far the other way?

It partly depends on what type of medication you're taking. Check your blood sugars often to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get low.

Personally, I wouldn't wait a month to tell my doctor what I'm doing, would contact her right off the bat for advice about the medications with a new diet.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:23 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Your meds are inadequate for what is happening with your current BS. So you need to get that under control..............adjusting meds in the future should be no problem.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:28 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:

Sounds familiar, I was on the same course about 5 years ago. My highest A1C was 7.3 which I thought was high at the time and it did not seem to be coming down. I started to take it serious at that time, I hadn't up till then. I too was relying on the pills to work regardless of what I ate. It doesn't work that way. I am surprised your doctor still has you on meds, you should be on insulin and if you are not willing to commit to diet changes, you NEED to be on it ASAP.

I went low carb over 4 years ago, cut my dose in half on the meds. My A1C is in the 5.1 to 5.4 range. I would not want to go blind, be on dialysis (or worse) or get my limbs cut off. I made the change, I think you know what you need to do.

You have to cut out all of the foods that spike blood sugar and it comes down to carbs, specifically refined carbs. You can start by eliminating wheat products, rice, potatoes, corn, and sugar. Start counting carbs and learn how to read food labels. Stop eating processed foods completely. Basically, a Ketogenic or low carb diet is what you need. Start educating yourself. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Sounds familiar, I was on the same course about 5 years ago. My highest A1C was 7.3 which I thought was high at the time and it did not seem to be coming down. I started to take it serious at that time, I hadn't up till then. I too was relying on the pills to work regardless of what I ate. It doesn't work that way. I am surprised your doctor still has you on meds, you should be on insulin and if you are not willing to commit to diet changes, you NEED to be on it ASAP.

I went low carb over 4 years ago, cut my dose in half on the meds. My A1C is in the 5.1 to 5.4 range. I would not want to go blind, be on dialysis (or worse) or get my limbs cut off. I made the change, I think you know what you need to do.

You have to cut out all of the foods that spike blood sugar and it comes down to carbs, specifically refined carbs. You can start by eliminating wheat products, rice, potatoes, corn, and sugar. Start counting carbs and learn how to read food labels. Stop eating processed foods completely. Basically, a Ketogenic or low carb diet is what you need. Start educating yourself. Good luck.
All of that is fine if you care enough. Up until now I have not cared. I expected to die at 62 like my mother, who had exactly the same issues I have now. I am not 66 and the complications are getting worse.
Also I am on Levemir 100 units a day, as well as 500 Metformin twice a day, and Gliburide.

I started a few days ago trying to watch what I eat better and this morning my fasting blood sugar level was down to 212. Much better than the 400+ it has been.

I still have no desire to live several more years. But I don't want to be so miserable until I die.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:00 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
All of that is fine if you care enough. Up until now I have not cared. I expected to die at 62 like my mother, who had exactly the same issues I have now. I am not 66 and the complications are getting worse.
Also I am on Levemir 100 units a day, as well as 500 Metformin twice a day, and Gliburide.

I started a few days ago trying to watch what I eat better and this morning my fasting blood sugar level was down to 212. Much better than the 400+ it has been.

I still have no desire to live several more years. But I don't want to be so miserable until I die.

It's not too late, and I'm glad you're taking control of it now.

My brother didn't control his sugars, and the last years of his life involved horrid health problems; the pain from peripheral neuropathy for 10 years made him miserable, the resulting foot ulcers made him miserable, the ulcer debridement appointments made him miserable, and the eventual amputations, removing his toes and feet inch by inch until all he had left were stumps, made his life an absolute horror. He never complained about his eyesight, but I know he had vision problems from diabetes as well.

You can slow the progress of your complications to help them from getting worse, as you know. It's much easier to live with a low-carb diet and avoid all that horror. Low carbing isn't bad at all.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:01 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:

You asked and I answered. Not much else I can say except your last years will not be pleasant. Blind and crippled does not sound fun.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:04 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Changing diet can make all the difference in the world with this diabetes. Sad that you don't care.

What we put into our bodies is the best thing we can control, life is precious.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:02 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:

Write down what you eat and take it to your appointment. Look at drinks that keep your blood sugar elevated for a long time. Some of them, such as orange juice, don't have a lot of carbs but keep your blood sugar extremely high all day long if you drink it in the morning. That's one of the easiest things to do. Just removing a glass of orange juice resulted in a 1 point drop in the A1c.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Write down what you eat and take it to your appointment. Look at drinks that keep your blood sugar elevated for a long time. Some of them, such as orange juice, don't have a lot of carbs but keep your blood sugar extremely high all day long if you drink it in the morning. That's one of the easiest things to do. Just removing a glass of orange juice resulted in a 1 point drop in the A1c.
I am sure there will be a difference because I was drinking about 4 or more cans of Coke a day as well as eating whatever I wanted and then in the evening I would eat pudding or candy or both.
I have now stopped all of that, drinking mostly water and about 2 cups of ice coffee with equal a day,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes