Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 05:01 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Diet, including calorie control to normalize weight, is part of the standard treatment of diabetes - and pre-diabetes.

See section 5 here:

https://care.diabetesjournals.org/co...19_UPDATED.pdf

What do you suggest for the 12% who are not "overweight/obese"?
Um, yeah. Everyone knows that diet is the key way to address diabetes. Even kids in health class know that.

And as far as treatment of the rest I'm sure you can name 10 drugs you'd like to prescribe for them, right Dr Suzy? Oh, right. You're not a doctor. /shrug/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 05:28 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Um, yeah. Everyone knows that diet is the key way to address diabetes. Even kids in health class know that.

And as far as treatment of the rest I'm sure you can name 10 drugs you'd like to prescribe for them, right Dr Suzy? Oh, right. You're not a doctor. /shrug/
Suzy has never recommended drugs over lifestyle changes.

Old Gardner and I are in the 12% who are not obese but still have blood sugar issues.

I wouldn't say I am "cured", if I eat too much "white" food the blood sugar spikes come back, we just learn what we can and cannot eat. Some people would rather eat what ever they want and take drugs, others try lifestyle adjustments first.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-06-2019, 05:29 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

What do you suggest for those who have diabetes who are normal weight?

Are you a doctor?

Old 10-07-2019, 07:03 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
My friend met with a nutritionist and changed her diet. Her pre-diabetes went away.

This why I don't believe the benefit of telling someone they're "pre-diabetic." They should be told that the have the genetic background that would allow them to become a full fledged diabetic if they don't watch their diet and don't exercise enough. The genetics will never change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Which is the reason for telling a patient they have prediabetes.
Precisely. By starting the treatment for DM early, they can hopefully avoid the complications of DM later.

RE: the thin diabetic-- a tough situation. How much can you cut back when you're already not eating much?. Most pts don't have the discipline to cut back even more, so maybe they'll need to turn to adding meds sooner....Also need to verify that they're really Type II (usually have hi insulin levels & insulin resistance; will never develop ketoacidosis) and not really Type I (insulinopenic and prone to ketoacidosis; should be on insulin)

Old 10-07-2019, 08:21 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
This why I don't believe the benefit of telling someone they're "pre-diabetic." They should be told that the have the genetic background that would allow them to become a full fledged diabetic if they don't watch their diet and don't exercise enough. The genetics will never change.
I don't understand the resistance to using the term "pre-diabetic". All it means is that someone is creeping toward a formal diagnosis of diabetes "if they don't watch their diet and don't exercise enough".

Old 10-08-2019, 04:03 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
I don't understand the resistance to using the term "pre-diabetic". All it means is that someone is creeping toward a formal diagnosis of diabetes "if they don't watch their diet and don't exercise enough".

Compare it to alcoholism, another problem that involves genetic predisposition, but requires environmental exposure to manifest complications. At AA meetings, even after 40 yrs of abstinence, a member stands up to speak and says, "Hi. I'm Joe. I'm an alcoholic..." For continued success, one must never forget the underlying problem.

The poster above says the friend "was cured." No they weren't. They were controlled. If they are led to believe that they're cured, they may go back to their errant ways.

People are either born diabetic or they are not. There is no "pre-" state, except for "pre-complications" of diabetes.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:35 AM

Quote:
What do you suggest for those who have diabetes who are normal weight?

Are you a doctor?
Nope. And I have never ever pretended to be one.

I also don't second guess other people's medical situations, ask them for more information so I CAN second guess them and pretend I know better then they do about what happened, and then tell they why they are wrong and their doctor was/is right. Which you do on a regular basis pretty much every time you post. In fact I don't ever remember a post where you have ever found the drug at fault for injury or the doctor at fault for misdiagnosis, wrong medication or just out and out stupidity. It's always the patient's fault. /shrug/

So yes, you definitely recommend drugs, right? Right. Predictable.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Because it means that the person WILL get diabetes. Which is not true. They might never have diabetes. So prediabetic is a misnomer. Because they *aren't.* Unless medicine is using psychics and not science?

I guess everyone is pre-dead? Since well, we're not dead yet. And we WILL die eventually.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:49 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Suzy has never recommended drugs over lifestyle changes.

Old Gardner and I are in the 12% who are not obese but still have blood sugar issues.

I wouldn't say I am "cured", if I eat too much "white" food the blood sugar spikes come back, we just learn what we can and cannot eat. Some people would rather eat what ever they want and take drugs, others try lifestyle adjustments first.
Thin T2 diabetics suffer from a less than normal production of insulin. The result? Being thin and higher blood sugars. Many drugs will not help, at least not the type that increase insulin production. At this time, there is no way to restore pancreatic beta cells, the ones that produce insulin. In my opinion and it depends on the person of course, a better treatment is to lead a low(er) carb diet and inject smaller amounts of insulin to cover those meals. The result should be better blood sugars and lower levels of insulin, a win-win. If they were to consume higher carbs and inject more insulin as needed, the harmful effects of the too much insulin would come into play, weight gain, cardiovascular problems etc. They would be thin no more. There are actually many overweight Type-1 diabetics now, due to this viscous cycle which is in part created by the ADA and their recommendations which many follow. The answer for them too is lower carbs AND insulin. Dr. Bernstein promotes this way of living for T1's in his book.

So yeah, 12% sounds about right, most diabetics fit the other model of too much insulin and insulin resistance and many of those diabetics are overweight and suffer from numerous health problems like a fatty liver, heart problems etc.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:16 AM

7,078 posts, read 4,521,984 times
My friend was thin and walks 4 miles briskly every day. The diet changes put her back in the normal range and she has stayed there for years. The
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes