Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 04:48 AM

24 posts, read 16,990 times

Advertisements

I have read somewhere that sugar below 70 mgdl is dangerous, for those whose sugar level remains low most of the time can eat pure sugarcane powder from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 08:12 AM

922 posts, read 794,150 times
Last night I took my pre-dinner insulin, and then tried to eat dinner, but I couldn't eat very much of it. A few minutes later, I fell asleep in my recliner (which I freqently do after eating.)

I recently starting wearing a CGM. While I was asleep, the low sugar alarm went off and my husband woke me up. The device said my sugar was 51, so I did a finger stick test, which said 57. I recalibrated the device, and drank some soda. The number finally started going up and I was ok.

If I didn't have that alarm and my husband didn't wake me up, would I have slipped into a coma, or died?

Old 07-31-2021, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 727 times
Default Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13levine View Post
On the other hand I think someone is pulling our leg. From my experience with much higher lows I don't think a person would survive 22. It's just posted to create some controversy.
Well, my issue with low sugar began after a freaky surgery 2 years ago. And, I must look after my BS constantly BUT I myself have been so low that if I was alone I might have not made it even to the phone. I say all of this cuz I believe that @13levine is telling the truth ... why? Cuz I have dropped to 24 & still conscious enough to eat "sugar" to get it up quickly ... but this has been a gradual decline for me over time BUT I can tell you it is terrifying to be that low! I feel extremely anxious, sweat profusely, I have muscle cramping especially in the legs, no ability to do anything even thinking, as I must have already had it in my mind what to do to get help.

I have noticed a symptom that no one has mentioned that I experience and that is what I call gray-sight or blurry sight or the inability to focus also no center sight like there's a void in the middle of what I am looking at ... and no way to 'think' about anything other than consuming "sugar" like fruit mixed with cottage cheese. If I tell anybody about it they say I'm lying & making it all up cuz no one could be THAT low! Right?

Old 09-20-2021, 11:48 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,543,516 times
I once woke up to EMTs surrounding me and was told my BS had been 20 when they arrived. They said I was close to slipping into a diabetic coma. Now maybe they fudged the numbers a little biton the low side to scare me, but it really only pissed me off that I was still alive.
Spoiler
It had been a suicide attempt.

I'm still kinda pissed off about it actually, six years later.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:48 AM

5,720 posts, read 4,309,280 times
I'm hypoglycemic not diabetic and I've dropped into the 50's once or twice but can tell when it happens and get it reversed. My mom was diabetic and dropped to 36 once without realizing it. Just then someone checked on her and called an ambulance.

Old 09-21-2021, 04:10 PM

7,290 posts, read 5,170,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I'm hypoglycemic not diabetic ....
There are many reasons a person may tend towards hypoglycemic episodes, but it's a very common finding in teens & young adults who eventually prove to be Type II diabetics after the age of 40 or so....Verbum sapienti...

Old 11-07-2021, 05:16 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,203,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
10 = death
18 = life and death
27 = coma

I don't think your meter is taking accurate readings. At 22 you should have been down for the count.
Not everyone gets the symptoms you described.

Take 2 dextrose wafers or drink a full tumbler glass of fruit juice. Follow with some cheese and crackers/toast and jam.
Glucose tabs are good for carrying around in the car, a purse for a woman. Keep at home and in the car for emergencies. Beware they taste way to good.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:23 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,203,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I once woke up to EMTs surrounding me and was told my BS had been 20 when they arrived. They said I was close to slipping into a diabetic coma. Now maybe they fudged the numbers a little biton the low side to scare me, but it really only pissed me off that I was still alive.
Spoiler
It had been a suicide attempt.

I'm still kinda pissed off about it actually, six years later.
Now why waste time being pissed off at them, really? They were paramedics they don't fudge numbers. It's their job to know and do you really think they would be there if you weren't so low that you needed them, again seriously? Think about it they are not going to waste their time helping you if you don't need it.

You don't need to attempt suicide when you can make changes in your life. Oh maybe not get what you want immediately but you will get where life is better if you try. It's when you attempt suicide that life throws you crap. Please talk to someone about that.

Last edited by staystill; 11-07-2021 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: Even six years later it's good to talk to someone about what led you to attempt doing that.

Old 12-26-2021, 01:56 PM

398 posts, read 207,332 times
Lowest I ever tested was 37. I was drinking early in my diagnosis and the alcohol buzz covered up the signs of a low till I really felt bad.

So many people say alcohol is sugar, no ! its alcohol.

The molecular formula of ethanol is C2H6O. However, the structural formula of ethanol, C2H5OH, provides a little more detail, and indicates that there is an hydroxyl group (-OH) at the end of the 2-carbon chain. Ethanol is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid with a characteristic wine-like odor and pungent taste. Melting point: -173.5°F (-114.1°C)

Glucose is a simple sugar with the molecular formula C₆H₁₂O₆. Glucose is the most abundant monosaccharide, a subcategory of carbohydrates. Melting point: 294.8°F (146°C)

Its a totally different chemical and vodka has no sugar.

Old 01-20-2022, 11:59 PM

13,313 posts, read 7,359,184 times
Family member of mine years ago called me on the phone talking very slow, and speech was slurred. At first I didn't know who it was this was before cell phones before caller ID was common on most phones early 1990's. I finely figured out who it was drove over got him some sugar soda, and some sugar pills doctor gave him. He still wasn't recovering took him to the ER by the time we got where they could take blood he started to feel better by that time he also got orange juice. I believe he had been in the 20's I don't remember for sure. What he had done was taken insulin shot instead of eating dinner just went to bed didn't eat.

I have heard of police pulling people over in this condition they think the person is drunk put them in a jail cell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes