Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2022, 07:38 PM

398 posts, read 206,416 times

Advertisements

I posted this on another thread but its relevant here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
I voted no because I have Type one diabetes.

What happens in the hospital is they are so afraid you might have a hypo they withhold your insulin and or restrict your food and let your blood sugars spike.

If 1000 people get the long term effects of high blood sugar, amputations blindness ect its just "a natural progression of the disease" if one person get a hypo and has a seizure or dies someone gets sued.

Its awful the nurse checks your blood sugar and 160 "thats good" no its not. Not at all.

You have to play games, save your juice to drink just before the check before the next meal so you get a high number and get more insulin.

Try and skip the carbs so your blood sugar doesnt get to high it becomes a bad feedback loop. You skipped the carbs left them on the tray got a good blood sugar like 105 and its used as proof you need less insulin.

Its a nightmare.

Its like so bad. Its like please I do this home alone all the time I know WTF I am doing.

I mean what the hell their sliding scale my BG 140 I "don't need" any insulin here is your tray we will check BG again 5 hours from now.

Please don't F with my food or my insulin YOU dont have a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 07:41 PM

Here is the thread that inspired this one https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...ison-when.html

Old 03-31-2022, 03:39 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
"Its awful the nurse checks your blood sugar and 160 "thats good" no its not. Not at all."

False....A consistant 160 corresponds to a HbA1c of 7.0%...Numerous studies show that complcation rates of DM are not improved when HbA1c is kept below 7.0...Numerous studies show that outcomes in hospitalized pts are not improved by aggressive management of BS, but serious hypoglycemic reactions are much more likely.

Harm from hi BS is a cummulative process.. Minute to mnute BS levels don't mean much by themselves.

I compare it to carrying a 50 lb sack of cement around on your shouder-- doing it occassionally won't hurt you, but do it all day, every day and after a few yrs you'll be hunch backed and arthritic....

There's the old saying -- hi BS will take 20 yrs to kill you, but low BS may take only 20 seconds.

One needs to treat the patient, not the lab value. Don't get too fixated on individual BS readings. Your anxiety may be doing more damage than the hi BS.

Old 03-31-2022, 03:45 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
I posted this on another thread but its relevant here.

Its like so bad. Its like please I do this home alone all the time I know WTF I am doing.

I mean what the hell their sliding scale my BG 140 I "don't need" any insulin here is your tray we will check BG again 5 hours from now.

Please don't F with my food or my insulin YOU dont have a clue.
FYI. Hospitals don't micromanage your blood sugar. All they use is insulin. You either need it or you don't and they will not be adjusting the dose to match your carb intake either. They also don't deal with diabetic medications. You would have to do that on your own if you are in the hospital. For this reason, they will also not bother with trying to feed you low carb food. They just don't have that kind of time. If you don't meet the criteria for an insulin shot, you will not get it. That is why they saw the 160 and thought nothing of it. I am talking about fast acting (Bolus) insulin. Basal is another story. This is what I've seen in my experience.

https://diabetesjournals.org/care/ar...l-Standards-of

Old 04-01-2022, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
"Its awful the nurse checks your blood sugar and 160 "thats good" no its not. Not at all."

False....A consistant 160 corresponds to a HbA1c of 7.0%...Numerous studies show that complcation rates of DM are not improved when HbA1c is kept below 7.0...Numerous studies show that outcomes in hospitalized pts are not improved by aggressive management of BS, but serious hypoglycemic reactions are much more likely.

Harm from hi BS is a cummulative process.. Minute to mnute BS levels don't mean much by themselves.

I compare it to carrying a 50 lb sack of cement around on your shouder-- doing it occassionally won't hurt you, but do it all day, every day and after a few yrs you'll be hunch backed and arthritic....

There's the old saying -- hi BS will take 20 yrs to kill you, but low BS may take only 20 seconds.

One needs to treat the patient, not the lab value. Don't get too fixated on individual BS readings. Your anxiety may be doing more damage than the hi BS.

I just wanted more insulin I was feeling better and wanted to eat everything wo worry.

20 years 20 seconds... You can also say that if someone dies in that 20 years its just a "natural progression of the disease" but if some dies of a low someone gets sued. So they like us running high to protect themselves.

I actually took that from Dr Bernstien. Haven't look at his stuff in a wile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes