Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 01:45 AM

14,733 posts, read 15,220,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You have options. You can go to your every 6 month appointments, get your prescription, fill your prescription, appropriately take care of the insulin you receive, and administer it as prescribed just like every other insulin dependent diabetic in this nation. If you want to leave out the doctor part or the prescription part, you can go to Walmart and request OTC insulin along with the needles to administer it......
This is all great, sensible, practical advice, the very best. OP needs to do the same thing that every other insulin dependent diabetic in America has to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

...... Or you can move to Canada.
Except for the suggested option of "Or move to Canada". That wouldn't work because moving to Canada wouldn't be an option for the OP. Due to the OP's circumstances and outlook the OP wouldn't qualify to move to Canada.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 02:34 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,430,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
Worlds highest price too.

I resent I don't have the freedom to get 'caught out there' and just buy some insulin without the medical system hassle. I resent the sh*t out of that far more then the jacked up cost.

You cant get high on insulin or have any 'fun' with it like pain meds and other prescription drugs, so what the hell?

In Canada just walk in and buy any insulin, America jump through medical system hoops like your on f6cking probation or at the DMV and get ripped off.

Man, it's a cruel reality for you. I'm sorry for you and American people. Why then, are so many Americans against Bernie's universal health care recommendations? They seem selfish for refusing to go with it. If it is not good for them personally then it's no good?. Is this real or does it only apply to what CD members are posting against it?

The government in my province, Alberta, (north of Montana) now covers 100% of the cost of diabetic supplies, Metformin and insulin, up to $2400/year. It used to be only $600/year! Not all provinces have the same health care supports. We don't have the long wait times (I don't even know what they mean by that) like other provinces claim they have.

If I had to pay out full cost for all of my prescriptions it would cost me over $5000/year. Now as it is, I copay $1200. But not all prescriptions are no cost. We don't get discounts on drugs or co-pays on prescriptions without paying for an extended health insurance plan that includes prescriptions, dental, private hospital room, etc. It amounts to about $150/mo. If you are a senior you don't have pay the $150.

Old 07-29-2022, 02:59 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,430,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
How the heck does using a pen that injects insulin into your body every single day and sometimes more than once a day make diabetes easier?

I fear needing to use a pen or any needle for insulin I don't mind trying the dexcom or freestyle libre because that isn't injected all the time. I have been told wait until I get older then I will have to have the liquid insulin but I am older now 63 and I take metformin twice a day and glyburide twice a day.

BTW off topic a little but am I the only diabetic type2 person on earth that sweats when my sugar is low? I keep being told that sweating means it's high which makes no sense to me. When I am out and about shopping and I start to sweat from head to knees I know my sugar is dropping. So I take a half to a quarter of a glucose tab and like magic within a mere 2 minutes I feel normal and I stop sweating.

I'm like you. If I get really hot and drippy with sweat and get dizzy, I know my sugar is too low and sinking fast!!. I take my glucose tabs with me when I leave the house. My sugar never goes above 12 (216 US) so i don't know what my physical warning is for a reading of 25 (450 US) or so.

I'm type 2 but had to start taking insulin because the oral meds alone weren't working anymore.
It's progressive disease so yes, you will have to take insulin. I can tell you it doesn't hurt. The needles for the pens are tiny and short not like when you get the flu shot. F shots hurt because they are being stuck into muscles with a really long thicker needle, whereas insulin is given in fatty tissue. The most recommended area is in the stomach a little above the belt line. You'll find out it is not that scary. You can either pinch the fat and inject in the pinch or when you get used to it you can stick it straight into a fatty stomach, like mine. lol

I crave sweets really bad. How about you?

Old 07-29-2022, 08:03 AM

9,205 posts, read 6,388,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
This is all great, sensible, practical advice, the very best. OP needs to do the same thing that every other insulin dependent diabetic in America has to do.

Except for the suggested option of "Or move to Canada". That wouldn't work because moving to Canada wouldn't be an option for the OP. Due to the OP's circumstances and outlook the OP wouldn't qualify to move to Canada.

Do you mean that Canada protects itself from unwanted immigrants? There is a process to emigrate to Canada from the US? She can't just walk across the Rainbow Bridge and stay?

Old 07-29-2022, 11:33 AM

398 posts, read 209,625 times
Quote:
I am really curoius.

Whats the difference in outcomes between the US and Canadian diabetics.

A canadian has the freedom to maybe be skatter brained and try and live a normal life because if they get "caught out there" don't have their insulin plans changed not going home right now trying to be spontaneous they walk into a pharmacy and buy some insulin like its nothing.

American diabetics jump hoops like circus animals and are used as cash cows but are they better off?
I feel a little better today but still resent the hell of it.

How about these little facts ,

"The risks of improper ibuprofen use and overuse. One study estimates that NSAIDs — non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs used to treat pain and inflammation — are responsible for 107,000 hospitalizations and 15,600 deaths a year in the U.S."

Ok now Tylenol.

"It is responsible for 56,000 emergency department visits, 2,600 hospitalizations, and 500 deaths per year in the United States. Fifty percent of these are unintentional overdoses."

OK so everyone can go buy all this crap thousands die but as a diabetic in the US I cant be trusted I have my insulin and like a circus animal jump through hoops.

I want this thread on track. I post dumb stuff other topics but I signed up here to talk diabetes hence the screen name.

Why cant I be spontanoius cause I am an American diabetic ?

Why cant I just be out and do life and if I am just doing my tthing cant walk into a pharmacy like diabetics in every other country and buy some insulin?

I want this thread on track. Posted alot of nonsence on this website but I signed up to discuss this.

I dont want to talk about immigration law and moving to canada.

I want to talk about why American diabetics have to do all this crap and why we are so ripped off.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:00 PM

14,733 posts, read 15,220,244 times
Quote:

..... Why cant I just be out and do life and if I am just doing my tthing cant walk into a pharmacy like diabetics in every other country and buy some insulin? .....
I find this question a bit confusing. Considering that the condition may represent a life and death situation due to unexpected circumstances beyond your control when you're away from home, is there some reason why you can't be prepared in advance by carrying an emergency supply kit from home with you when you're out and about doing your spontaneous life thing?

Old 07-29-2022, 12:14 PM

398 posts, read 209,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I find this question a bit confusing. Considering that the condition may represent a life and death situation due to unexpected circumstances beyond your control when you're away from home, is there some reason why you can't be prepared in advance by carrying an emergency supply kit from home with you when you're out and about doing your spontaneous life thing?

Canadians dont have to do that.

I was far from home I screwed up left my insulin behind and unlike a Canadian I was poop out of luck. On the highway in a car traveling and I messed up left my stuff behind.

Everyone makes mistakes loses wallets kar keys ect.

But I am an American diabetic. So we couldent just pull of the next exit roll into the pharmacy I buy insulin like I am not in "murica" no it was a hassle from hell

If I was not "murican" would have stopped next exit nearest pharmacy.... Need some insulin thanks !

No it "murica" like I wanted Xanax or Oxycodone play the whole RX game for my insulin. Play all these games.

How about the topic here?

Why just "murican" diabetics have this crap ?

Call me out be irresposible OK. Messed up left my stuff behind. I am the bad guy ?

Step up tell me why just "muricans" got to deal with the whole RX thing. Step up. Post tell me hotshot

Tell me.

Last edited by I_am_too_sweet; 07-29-2022 at 12:27 PM..

Old 07-29-2022, 03:24 PM

20,311 posts, read 9,203,879 times
Quote:
I feel a little better today but still resent the hell of it.

How about these little facts ,

"The risks of improper ibuprofen use and overuse. One study estimates that NSAIDs — non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs used to treat pain and inflammation — are responsible for 107,000 hospitalizations and 15,600 deaths a year in the U.S."

Ok now Tylenol.

"It is responsible for 56,000 emergency department visits, 2,600 hospitalizations, and 500 deaths per year in the United States. Fifty percent of these are unintentional overdoses."

OK so everyone can go buy all this crap thousands die but as a diabetic in the US I cant be trusted I have my insulin and like a circus animal jump through hoops.

I want this thread on track. I post dumb stuff other topics but I signed up here to talk diabetes hence the screen name.

Why cant I be spontanoius cause I am an American diabetic ?

Why cant I just be out and do life and if I am just doing my tthing cant walk into a pharmacy like diabetics in every other country and buy some insulin?

I want this thread on track. Posted alot of nonsence on this website but I signed up to discuss this.

I dont want to talk about immigration law and moving to canada.

I want to talk about why American diabetics have to do all this crap and why we are so ripped off.
What does the FDA and AMA say about OTC diabetes care?

Old 07-29-2022, 06:14 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,426,823 times
I_am_too_sweet... I understand your frustration. You are correct, it sucks that we need to beg for help and jump through hoops at times in order to obtain this insulin that we need to stay alive.

I have experienced a time when I went to the pharmacy only to be told that my prescription had expired and that they would have to talk to my Dr to get approval for more refills and it could take a couple of days.

Then a couple of days pass and they say they never heard back from my doctor.

Then I called my doctor's office to tell them I need the refill and they say they received the request and already sent it back electronically and everything should be good, but they would resend it again. So I go back to the pharmacy and they say they still never received it. Now I'm getting pissed.

I drove over to my clinic and tell the check-in lady that I want a written prescription that I can hold in my hand and bring to my pharmacy. They get a nurse who takes me back to an exam room and asks me to go over what's going on so I tell her how I need my prescription and it has supposedly been submitted twice but the pharmacy keeps saying they never got it so I'd like a paper script written out so that I can get the insulin that I need. She left for a couple of minutes, got the paper prescription that I requested, and I was on my way to finally get this whole thing behind me.

Then a few weeks later I got a bill in the mail because they charged me for a regular office visit for this. I called them up and tried to tell them I shouldn't have to pay it, and I thought they took care of it, but then a few weeks later I got another notice, only this time with late fees. Grrrrr!!! After another phone call I finally got it taken care of, and then said FU to that clinic forever and found another one that thankfully works much better.

So anyways, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your frustrations about how bad it can suck to have to rely on a doctor for a prescription that you need in order to live. I know I speak for many Type 1 diabetics when I say we often know more about this disease and how to treat it than most doctors do. It sucks to have to be held hostage by the system like this.

The thing is though, that insulin IS a very dangerous drug. I'm not sure if more Canadians die from insulin overdose than Americans do, but I do know that it is very easy to overdose on the stuff, and alot of people no-doubt do die from this, probably every day, in both countries.

I honestly don't know what the right answer is, weather it's better to keep it a controlled substance like most other dangerous drugs, or to open it up to make it easier for the people who truly need it.

I wish there were a way to give people like us a lifetime prescription card or something. To me that seems like it would be a reasonable solution.

Last edited by bfrabel; 07-29-2022 at 06:34 PM..

Old 07-29-2022, 06:50 PM

2,769 posts, read 1,256,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I_am_too_sweet... I understand your frustration. You are correct, it sucks that we need to beg for help and jump through hoops at times in order to obtain this insulin that we need to stay alive.

I have experienced a time when I went to the pharmacy only to be told that my prescription had expired and that they would have to talk to my Dr to get approval for more refills and it could take a couple of days.

Then a couple of days pass and they say they never heard back from my doctor.

Then I called my doctor's office to tell them I need the refill and they say they received the request and already sent it back electronically and everything should be good, but they would resend it again. So I go back to the pharmacy and they say they still never received it. Now I'm getting pissed.

I drove over to my clinic and tell the check-in lady that I want a written prescription that I can hold in my hand and bring to my pharmacy. They get a nurse who takes me back to an exam room and asks me to go over what's going on so I tell her how I need my prescription and it has supposedly been submitted twice but the pharmacy keeps saying they never got it so I'd like a paper script written out so that I can get the insulin that I need. She left for a couple of minutes, got the paper prescription that I requested, and I was on my way to finally get this whole thing behind me.

Then a few weeks later I got a bill in the mail because they charged me for a regular office visit for this. I called them up and tried to tell them I shouldn't have to pay it, and I thought they took care of it, but then a few weeks later I got another notice, only this time with late fees. Grrrrr!!! After another phone call I finally got it taken care of, and then said FU to that clinic forever and found another one that thankfully works much better.

So anyways, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your frustrations about how bad it can suck to have to rely on a doctor for a prescription that you need in order to live. I know I speak for many Type 1 diabetics when I say we often know more about this disease and how to treat it than most doctors do. It sucks to have to be held hostage by the system like this.

The thing is though, that insulin IS a very dangerous drug. I'm not sure if more Canadians die from insulin overdose than Americans do, but I do know that it is very easy to overdose on the stuff, and alot of people no-doubt do die from this, probably every day, in both countries.

I honestly don't know what the right answer is, weather it's better to keep it a controlled substance like most other dangerous drugs, or to open it up to make it easier for the people who truly need it.

I wish there were a way to give people like us a lifetime prescription card or something. To me that seems like it would be a reasonable solution.

It's not right that you had to go through all that when It should have been easy for the Doctor to have it automatically sent as a digital or fax script.

I don't know about insulin injections so please forgive my ignorance. Why don't they make it like the pen thing? where it is already premeasured for the patient? or is insulin an as needed injections?
When is someone every going to come up with a cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes