Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 11:56 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,204,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Could it be that because the pancreas doesn't work properly that causes the sugar cravings? I don't know just wondering if that is possible.

When was younger I didn't crave sugar until I got older then got adult diabetes. Thats when I really started craving sweets but then I didn't know I was diabetic a that time when I craved sugar. I always thought I was craving sugar before I became diabetic but nope I was and didn't know.
I had an endocrinologist tell me years and years ago it was because my body didn’t appropriately recognize/metabolize glucose, so when it decided I needed it for some reason, such as stress or fatigue, it kept craving it no matter how much I consumed because as far as it was concerned I didn’t consume any. I have no idea if that is credible or not but makes as much sense as anything else I’ve heard.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:36 PM

88,694 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Interesting. I used to have a friend whose father developed diabetes late. He was injecting insulin, too, not just on metformin.

She worried about her husband because he would wake up in the night, go to the fridge, and down a whole can of Coke in a few gulps and then go back to sleep. He'd be in his late 60s now, but I haven't seen them in 20 years. I wonder if he ever became diabetic.

I came close, but I asked the dr to let me try lowering the a1c with diet and exercise, and I was able to do that. Had to stop eating ice cream every day, which was the biggest culprit, but I love candy, so that has to be a rare treat now, too.

I cannot recall a time when I didn't crave sugar. It always made me feel so happy. As someone on here once said, it's just another crystalline substance made from a tropical plant.

Old 02-17-2023, 05:27 PM

2,712 posts, read 1,212,342 times
I crave a lot to much. Now I could swear it's my taste buds and my brain that craves snacks. Things like potato chips that I never use to crave before I now do. I think most of it is boredom so I try to keep busy but still it's just hard to not desire it when that comes to my taste buds. I don't understand why it is I just get this thing in me where a particular taste comes to my tongue and then my brain.

Also it's like I am never full anymore. I recently went out on the town with avocado's one every night the once in a while two of the small ones and it was the whole avocado I would eat. Well I got the worse gas pain ever and I couldn't pass it from top or bottom. I read it takes I think 24 hours if you hold in a burp to travel through the body to go out the other way (side).

I couldn't go to the bathroom which didn't help. I all of a sudden one morning while making coffee went into a literally soaking sweat and felt shaky while the coffee was brewing. I poured the water into the cup then took a big gulp of the water and refilled the coffee cup. No sooner that that cup was starting to fill I went into that full on drowning sweat from head to my knees. It scared the hell out of me. I looked at the gallon jug and don't you know it was distilled water distilled water dehydrates the body what is not at all good for a diabetic dehydration.

I went into a spiral of sweating, my sugar skyrocketed and my back hurt so bad I wanted to pass out just to not feel that pain. Then my chest hurt like hell which I suspect was from the possible gas stuck in it as well as my back, colon, and abdomen.

I keep the two gallons separate now.

So not only do I try to eat healthy but when I do I over eat which is what I did with the avocado's and makes it worse. Of course not noticing what I put in my coffee cup doesn't help.

I use to starve myself when I young. I think it was some sort of control in my life that I felt was the only thing I had to control was my own body not just to be thin.

Now I have control over my life a lot more than as a child and even a young adult and now I have not nearly enough control over my body as far as over eating. It's also like a treat and fun thing to do while watching a movie. Maybe I have to give up TV for a little while to help control it. Oh God that is a real punishment especially in the winter even with it being so warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting. I used to have a friend whose father developed diabetes late. He was injecting insulin, too, not just on metformin.

She worried about her husband because he would wake up in the night, go to the fridge, and down a whole can of Coke in a few gulps and then go back to sleep. He'd be in his late 60s now, but I haven't seen them in 20 years. I wonder if he ever became diabetic.

I came close, but I asked the dr to let me try lowering the a1c with diet and exercise, and I was able to do that. Had to stop eating ice cream every day, which was the biggest culprit, but I love candy, so that has to be a rare treat now, too.

I cannot recall a time when I didn't crave sugar. It always made me feel so happy. As someone on here once said, it's just another crystalline substance made from a tropical plant.
I'm willing to bet if he kept that up he became diabetic later in life. Soda is the worst thing for people. Especially the regular soda with all that darn sugar. It is also addictive even the diet is no better.

Old 02-17-2023, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I had an endocrinologist tell me years and years ago it was because my body didn’t appropriately recognize/metabolize glucose, so when it decided I needed it for some reason, such as stress or fatigue, it kept craving it no matter how much I consumed because as far as it was concerned I didn’t consume any. I have no idea if that is credible or not but makes as much sense as anything else I’ve heard.

That sounds about right IMHO because you were diabetic and didn't know it and that was why you kept craving it. It's something how we don't know what our body is telling us when we don't know what we don't know until the doctor decides to check it.

I had the wors ever yeast infections. So horrible that I used Desenex just to relieve it not knowing why it went from up inside me to the outside of my body in that area. Then like that wasn't enough my eyes did a complete opposite. I needed glasses for distance but not for near sighted. One day I'm at work and I can't see the computer it's all fuzzy but when I looked outside the window 4 stories high I could see a small sign I could never read before. Well I knew something was wrong. I told my sister and she said cut down on sugar because according to her holistic books that is what causes constant yeast infections.

What most doctors don't know and should is that to much sugar brings up the A1c and creates yeast infections. But Poo and/or not washing hands before going to the bathroom is what causes bladder infections. I had to learn that the hard way when my sister reminded me.

Every damn one of my doctors always got is screwed up and backwards. I learned this difference from an OBGYN years ago. So I looked up what google said since I noticed doctors now go on google to read medical advice yet some say stay away from google LOL.

Anyway google had it wrong so it explained why so many doctors did too. But the OBGYN with brain knew. Google wouldn't admit it's error so they just added poo.

Old 03-04-2023, 09:31 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,701,035 times
To add another twist to the question.

Is it just me who craves any and all food for about a week before your normal doctors check ups? I have noticed for some reason when I get close to an appointment I just want to eat. Then afterwards i am back to normal.

I am there now as I have an appointment on Wednesday and that is what made me think about the hunger as appointments approach.

Old 03-04-2023, 10:43 AM

18,739 posts, read 33,449,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post

I am there now as I have an appointment on Wednesday and that is what made me think about the hunger as appointments approach.
Maybe stress about the appointment? I got cravings when working under great stress. Cortisol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes