Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 08:37 PM

268 posts, read 205,557 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit frustrated because I have a friend who is in total denial about having diabetes.

Also, she is married to a diabetic who has been diabetic for over 2 decades. Despite this, she has no idea what his A1c has ever been (even if the Dr. has called the husband saying it's too high & he must consider going on insulin). He consistently has fasting glucose of over 200. Interestingly, she believes when he gets his labs done, they are high because he added sugar to his coffee accidentally (not sure if once or all the time).

So, she recently got bloodwork after over 5 years & the Dr. immediately called saying it's too high. She basically ignored the Dr. & didn't even look at the result. Months later, she looked & it's an A1c of 8%.

She believes it's a mistake because she had an ice cream that day.

Is it common for diabetics to disregard hard facts like tests that are WAY out of range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 07:04 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
I don't know how common it is to deny it, but those two are in trouble. Bad things WILL happen to them if they continue to ignore their blood sugar.

They are blessed enough to have good doctors who care enough to call them and let them know the seriousness of the situation. It's a shame they are not heeding medical advice.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:18 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milezsmilez View Post
Is it common for diabetics to disregard hard facts like tests that are WAY out of range?
I don't find it common for diabetics to do this in general, but...are your friends older?

My mother (who is 75) thinks a coke won't hurt if she adds some water to it. She says she can't eat strawberries because they have too much sugar, and pretty much lives on those cheesy/peanut butter cracker things. And she can't figure out why her numbers are so out of whack.

I think it's more of a distrust of the medical community and over the years the old wives tales people have heard.

It's all about sugar to them...when it is really so much more than that!

Old 06-02-2023, 07:19 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Yes but on a totally different degree of stupid.

Like a lot of young stupid people I done stupid things. I had some serious health problems from it and ended up in the emergency room a couple times. While getting tested my doctor said my BG was pretty high and I probably had Type II unless I had just eaten before I came in. Being young and stupid I lied and said I had just had a soda and ate breakfast. He said I needed to fast and come back in to be tested for Diabetes.

That was in the very early 90s and because of the other problems I completely forgot about it and never went back to my doctor. Well flash forward 25 years and I went to the doctor again because I felt like passing out ALL the time. Turned out I really did have diabetes. In the middle I worked construction and worked very hard every day. The hard work kept my BG levels low enough it never really bothered me. Then when I quit working I ballooned up in weight and all the symptoms hit me very hard.

Diabetes is weird. Seems like there are 2 types. Those that do nothing about it and expect medications to do everything for them. They still eat cookies, ice cream, bread, pasta, drink alcohol daily, and change nothing. I have several of these friends and it is very sad to watch. Then there are those that take it extremely serious and change their diets and exercise. They seem to live a WAY better life and a much longer one. I was the first type because I didn't know better and that is how all my friends done it. It was better than nothing but after a couple years I realized that was extremely stupid(for me). Now I am drug free and eat a very strict diet that took some time to get used to. Now I feel amazing and have lost 40 pounds. My A1c is also lower than it ever got with drugs.

The saying that makes me cringe is: Life is short I am going to eat what I want. All I think is yes and now it will be even shorter with an extremely horrible ending.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post

Like a lot of young stupid people I done stupid things. I had some serious health problems from it and ended up in the emergency room a couple times. While getting tested my doctor said my BG was pretty high and I probably had Type II unless I had just eaten before I came in. Being young and stupid I lied and said I had just had a soda and ate breakfast. He said I needed to fast and come back in to be tested for Diabetes.

That was in the very early 90s and because of the other problems I completely forgot about it and never went back to my doctor. Well flash forward 25 years and I went to the doctor again because I felt like passing out ALL the time. Turned out I really did have diabetes. In the middle I worked construction and worked very hard every day. The hard work kept my BG levels low enough it never really bothered me. Then when I quit working I ballooned up in weight and all the symptoms hit me very hard.

Diabetes is weird. Seems like there are 2 types. Those that do nothing about it and expect medications to do everything for them. They still eat cookies, ice cream, bread, pasta, drink alcohol daily, and change nothing. I have several of these friends and it is very sad to watch. Then there are those that take it extremely serious and change their diets and exercise. They seem to live a WAY better life and a much longer one. I was the first type because I didn't know better and that is how all my friends done it. It was better than nothing but after a couple years I realized that was extremely stupid(for me). Now I am drug free and eat a very strict diet that took some time to get used to. Now I feel amazing and have lost 40 pounds. My A1c is also lower than it ever got with drugs.

The saying that makes me cringe is: Life is short I am going to eat what I want. All I think is yes and now it will be even shorter with an extremely horrible ending.
There are some foods, like bacon, that are not good for me but I will still eat them - in moderation. Bacon once a week at most, same with hamburgers. The way I look at it is that if eating something I love shortens my life by a week, so be it. Eating whatever you want every day is another matter. With type II now, I am reducing the sugar and carbs, and with Metformin am staying in the 6.x A1C range.

Old 06-02-2023, 09:26 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are some foods, like bacon, that are not good for me but I will still eat them - in moderation. Bacon once a week at most, same with hamburgers. The way I look at it is that if eating something I love shortens my life by a week, so be it. Eating whatever you want every day is another matter. With type II now, I am reducing the sugar and carbs, and with Metformin am staying in the 6.x A1C range.
I was told bacon wasn't near as bad if cooked until crispy.

I don't preach to my friends about food/diabetes I figure we all do what is best for us. Doesn't mean I agree with it but it is pointless and could cause problems between us as friends.

Old 06-02-2023, 10:06 AM

165 posts, read 145,875 times
Never heard of being in denial, but this disease will wreck a person if you do not treat it. Untreated diabetes and high blood sugar will cause nerve damage. Which can lead to loss of toes, legs, and blindness etc. On top of that, a person is at high risk of developing a bunch of other issues like heart disease.

But as far as drinking coffee with sugar before doing a blood test for A1C etc, that will not blow up your A1C. It will give you a high (real time) blood sugar that morning, but it will not make an A1C high; that test is typically regarded as your average blood sugar over the last 3 months.

Old 06-02-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I don't find it common for diabetics to do this in general, but...are your friends older?

My mother (who is 75) thinks a coke won't hurt if she adds some water to it. She says she can't eat strawberries because they have too much sugar, and pretty much lives on those cheesy/peanut butter cracker things. And she can't figure out why her numbers are so out of whack.

I think it's more of a distrust of the medical community and over the years the old wives tales people have heard.

It's all about sugar to them...when it is really so much more than that!

So, they're in their 40s, so not terribly old.

That said, my friend has a similar belief. She says her husband can't tolerate bananas or cauliflower because he says it wrecks his blood sugar. meanwhile, she'll give him a pint of ice cream for dessert every night--I wonder if he just keeps it quiet that it also wrecks his blood sugar because he wants that.

Last edited by Milezsmilez; 06-02-2023 at 12:32 PM..

Old 06-02-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't know how common it is to deny it, but those two are in trouble. Bad things WILL happen to them if they continue to ignore their blood sugar.

They are blessed enough to have good doctors who care enough to call them and let them know the seriousness of the situation. It's a shame they are not heeding medical advice.

Agree. I'm unsure she's aware how meaningful (& urgent) it is that the doctors are calling them & urging them to take action. I believe her husband had an a1c of over 10% once & since she doesn't even know what it is (& I don't know if he does either) they both wondered what the big deal was since 10% didn't seem "that high".

Old 06-02-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post

Wow, that's so interesting how your job minimized the effects so much.

Unfortunately, my friends seem to fall in the 1st type. And sadly, the husband doesn't like to comply with medication because of how the side effects make him feel & my friend is in denial. Since diabetes is such a "slow burn" over 20-30 years, maybe denial sets in with the thinking, "Nothing's happened yet, what's the big deal?" By the time something DOES happen, the optimal opportunity to make lifestyle/diet changes have passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes