Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 01:34 AM

297 posts, read 244,379 times

Advertisements

Blood glucose often in the 120-140 range but if careful with post prandial insulin under 120 at 2 hours
OR
avoiding carbs but having to resort to higher protein 40-70mg/ day to do so.

Which causes the most damage to the kidneys and heart?

Ok to generalize from ur experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 03:40 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I guess you realize, you should be asking your nephrologist this question....?

You're in a tough situation, which isn't that uncommon among diabetics. I watched a friend go through this. He ended up not being able to eat much of anything; mostly greens. (Yes, this left him hungry all the time.) He was told to avoid protein. He was in Stage 3 kidney failure.

You say you need to "resort" to higher protein; is that in order to feel satiated? If so, try substituting fat for some of the protein. Fat will help give you a feeling of satiety, plus it will help keep your blood sugar stable. For example, put half and half in your coffee/tea, or even heavy cream (whipping cream), like people on the keto diet do. That alone will keep your blood sugar steady to the point where you'll be able to skip breakfast, and just hum along on coffee or tea with full cream. (I did this on the keto diet. I'm pre-diabetic, so need to keep blood sugar stable, and this worked like a charm.) That's one protein meal out of the way.

Watch your insulin and see how you do in the mornings that way. There shouldn't be any insulin spike at all, so you may not need it, or will probably need less than usual. The cream will have a gram or so of carb, and an equal amt. of lactose, and similar (negligible) amt. of protein. Depending on how much you use, of course; with 2 mugs of coffee or tea, it adds up, but is still minimal.

Then your first meal of the day can be lunch.

Old 06-20-2023, 06:19 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Is tofu protein or carbo??

Old 06-20-2023, 01:36 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Is tofu protein or carbo??
Protein. Tofu has minimal carbs.

Old 06-22-2023, 11:13 PM

Default ok and thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I guess you realize, you should be asking your nephrologist this question....?

You're in a tough situation, which isn't that uncommon among diabetics. I watched a friend go through this. He ended up not being able to eat much of anything; mostly greens. (Yes, this left him hungry all the time.) He was told to avoid protein. He was in Stage 3 kidney failure.

You say you need to "resort" to higher protein; is that in order to feel satiated? If so, try substituting fat for some of the protein. Fat will help give you a feeling of satiety, plus it will help keep your blood sugar stable. For example, put half and half in your coffee/tea, or even heavy cream (whipping cream), like people on the keto diet do. That alone will keep your blood sugar steady to the point where you'll be able to skip breakfast, and just hum along on coffee or tea with full cream. (I did this on the keto diet. I'm pre-diabetic, so need to keep blood sugar stable, and this worked like a charm.) That's one protein meal out of the way.

Watch your insulin and see how you do in the mornings that way. There shouldn't be any insulin spike at all, so you may not need it, or will probably need less than usual. The cream will have a gram or so of carb, and an equal amt. of lactose, and similar (negligible) amt. of protein. Depending on how much you use, of course; with 2 mugs of coffee or tea, it adds up, but is still minimal.

Then your first meal of the day can be lunch.
for your PM.

Old 06-24-2023, 07:35 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Protein. Tofu has minimal carbs.
so,all soybean products are protein?
I use my air fryer to fry tofu and then braise them with mushroom and veggies in beef or chicken broth,it can be filling,try it.
****ake mushroom,King mushroom,lion mushroom,oyster mushroom ,they are all delicious.
BTW,watercress cleanse your kidneys,you have to buy them in Asian supermarket,now it is $1.45 a bundle

Old 06-25-2023, 10:45 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
so,all soybean products are protein?
I use my air fryer to fry tofu and then braise them with mushroom and veggies in beef or chicken broth,it can be filling,try it.
****ake mushroom,King mushroom,lion mushroom,oyster mushroom ,they are all delicious.
BTW,watercress cleanse your kidneys,you have to buy them in Asian supermarket,now it is $1.45 a bundle
I'm in the same boat as the original poster, type two and I also have high blood pressure and have a pacemaker. My doc never warned me that both high blood sugar and hypertension would damage my kidneys not to mention cause a heart attack, so I'm pretty sore at him.

I've been on NPH insulin, and was injecting 10 units at bedtime for the past year. Early on I woke up in the am with low blood sugar and my quack doc advised me to have a snack at bedtime to raise my bs readings into the teens mmol/L (13 mmol/L = 234 mg/dl) I've taken control now and inject 8 units at bedtime and 10 units in the morning, keeping my readings between 4 and 10 mmol/L. I also have my blood pressure under control.

One cup of soybeans has 13.3 grams of carbs, 8 grams of fiber and 18.4 grams of protein.

Extra firm tofu, 1/2 cup has 3.5 g carbs, 2.9 g fiber and 21.8g protein.

Green Giant mixed vegies are also a good choice. Especially Italian mix, 1/2 pkg. (250 grams) = 12 grams carbs, and Japanese mix 1/2 pkg. (250 grams) = 10 grams of carbs.

Old 06-29-2023, 04:31 PM

Default be very careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'm in the same boat as the original poster, type two and I also have high blood pressure and have a pacemaker. My doc never warned me that both high blood sugar and hypertension would damage my kidneys not to mention cause a heart attack, so I'm pretty sore at him.

I've been on NPH insulin, and was injecting 10 units at bedtime for the past year. Early on I woke up in the am with low blood sugar and my quack doc advised me to have a snack at bedtime to raise my bs readings into the teens mmol/L (13 mmol/L = 234 mg/dl) I've taken control now and inject 8 units at bedtime and 10 units in the morning, keeping my readings between 4 and 10 mmol/L. I also have my blood pressure under control.

One cup of soybeans has 13.3 grams of carbs, 8 grams of fiber and 18.4 grams of protein.

Extra firm tofu, 1/2 cup has 3.5 g carbs, 2.9 g fiber and 21.8g protein.

Green Giant mixed vegies are also a good choice. Especially Italian mix, 1/2 pkg. (250 grams) = 12 grams carbs, and Japanese mix 1/2 pkg. (250 grams) = 10 grams of carbs.
about injecting insulin at bed time.
I am sure you have read about "dead in bed" syndrome? the cause of a lot of diabetic deaths.

Old 06-29-2023, 04:33 PM

Default Would be nice..

It would be super if the readers here could actually try to answer the question posed in the OP.
But I guess that's hoping for too much.

Old 07-02-2023, 11:50 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveareeno5 View Post
It would be super if the readers here could actually try to answer the question posed in the OP.
But I guess that's hoping for too much.
1 - You are asking a question that is best answered by a medical professional.

2 - The answer you have basically received is ‘I haven’t sorted this out myself’, which given #1 is about what you should have expected.

All that said, my brother was told to up his “good” fat percentages. He is on a modified diet that is low carb, limited protein, non-grain, and as unprocessed as reasonably possible. He only drinks water and will not use any sweeteners except monk fruit or stevia. He is basically condiment free and essentially eats food in their natural state. It’s not a fun diet, for sure. But, it has seemed to help him, if nothing else he no longer swells so alarmingly like he used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes