Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 05:26 AM

1,075 posts, read 794,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Elliptical. In case you need to google it.

Thank you, preguntas, and sailbot for the reply Elliptical became a good start in my google search. I was concerned with muscle groups and low impact as per my ladder comparison.

The closest I came to what my under-desk peddle exerciser does was answered by your suggested google search.
I asked-(how do different ratios of elliptical machines help specific muscle groups) and Google came up with the Elliptical Trainer (without the arm movement). Although the Elliptical Trainer is not the same as the under-desk peddle exerciser they feel similar to my own experience having used (Elliptical Trainer) years ago at a college campus gym where I also spent lots of time on ladders throughout the campus as their electrician.

Bottom line the under-desk peddle exerciser is low impact for me and it works the muscle groups I am concerned with. The feet and legs upper and lower, front and back, all get a workout. In my experience I have felt positive benefits over the short time I have used the exerciser. One more plus for this exerciser is also the cost which is affordable. Thanks for the Elliptical and the Google tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 05:31 AM

107,005 posts, read 109,295,440 times
as a diabetic who is a gym rat for two decades , i can say until i elevated to running about 3.5 miles non stop, the bike and elliptical did little for my sugar and pressure .

it wasn’t until i upped the intensity that i saw a difference.

glycogen spikes while running and is higher then when i start out .

but things fall fairly quickly within an hour of stopping and even eating

Old 05-07-2024, 07:50 AM

Default I only wish I was a runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as a diabetic who is a gym rat for two decades , i can say until i elevated to running about 3.5 miles non stop, the bike and elliptical did little for my sugar and pressure .

it wasn’t until i upped the intensity that i saw a difference.

glycogen spikes while running and is higher then when i start out .

but things fall fairly quickly within an hour of stopping and even eating

I had been curious about the numb feeling in my feet and legs which led to the original question in the thread. That said, I am very fortunate in the fact those feeling in my feet had not continued as intensely after using this exerciser I described with with the attached photo's in the beginning of the thread. The leg numbness could be attributed to a lack of exercise or even to much recent physical work painting all the lower molding in the house in a crouched position.

Referring back to google I had asked what is the percentage of runners by age group and it turns out only 3% of people are runners in my age group. We walk 5 miles a day but I do not see 5 miles of walking as enough exercise daily. So hence dusting off and using the under-desk peddle exerciser and or riding the exercise bike.

I'm sure you are right about your exercise intensity having much to do with your personal diabetes experience, but one size don't fit all. My wife does isometric exercises which she does regularly which also are pretty intense and she is comfortable with.

I have also been to and or lived in multiple regions of the U.S and many people are house bound for 5 or more months a year due to weather conditions. We are fortunate to live in Florida so the year round outdoor conditions work for us. I wish I was a runner but I'd rather do the 5 mile walk daily thing with my lovely wife of 53 years.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:52 AM

107,005 posts, read 109,295,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
I had been curious about the numb feeling in my feet and legs which led to the original question in the thread. That said, I am very fortunate in the fact those feeling in my feet had not continued as intensely after using this exerciser I described with with the attached photo's in the beginning of the thread. The leg numbness could be attributed to a lack of exercise or even to much recent physical work painting all the lower molding in the house in a crouched position.

Referring back to google I had asked what is the percentage of runners by age group and it turns out only 3% of people are runners in my age group. We walk 5 miles a day but I do not see 5 miles of walking as enough exercise daily. So hence dusting off and using the under-desk peddle exerciser and or riding the exercise bike.

I'm sure you are right about your exercise intensity having much to do with your personal diabetes experience, but one size don't fit all. My wife does isometric exercises which she does regularly which also are pretty intense and she is comfortable with.

I have also been to and or lived in multiple regions of the U.S and many people are house bound for 5 or more months a year due to weather conditions. We are fortunate to live in Florida so the year round outdoor conditions work for us. I wish I was a runner but I'd rather do the 5 mile walk daily thing with my lovely wife of 53 years.
i am 71 and run 3.70 miles every other day . not on pavement though anymore , only cushioned tred .. weight lift the days i don’t run .

we do take two days a week off now . we used to do 6 days

Old 05-09-2024, 06:54 AM

3,326 posts, read 9,205,170 times
Numbness in your feet can be from many things, diabetes being only one of them. Spinal issues is another. https://www.healthline.com/health/numbness-of-foot

Get your A1C and fasting glucose if concerned but don’t rule out the fact that it could be something else.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:45 PM

Default Thank you for your suggestion, it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Numbness in your feet can be from many things, diabetes being only one of them. Spinal issues is another. https://www.healthline.com/health/numbness-of-foot

Get your A1C and fasting glucose if concerned but don’t rule out the fact that it could be something else.

Thank you for your suggestion, it makes sense. I have had my share of spinal inconveniences in this lifetime that I've always exercised my way out of or had Chiropractors adjust things back into place. I use the term spinal inconveniences because compared to many with serious back issues, I consider myself fortunate.

My exercise program has been increased some due to being motivated by mathjak107 earlier posts and my diet has been changing slowly eliminating junk foods which I am better off without. I have also stopped wearing a pair of shoes which were a little restrictive and the combination of these changes are producing positive results.

The A1C fasting glucose will be a consideration in the future if the feelings my feet and or legs experienced return and become an issue. I also have found switching desk chairs to be helpful, most of all increasing exercise seems to be the most positive change. I will report back

Thanks for your reply.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:15 AM

3,326 posts, read 9,205,170 times
Depending on your age and family history an A1C check might not be out of line.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:20 PM

Default I agree.

Quote:
Depending on your age and family history an A1C check might not be out of line.

I agree, for now I'm hoping the changes I am making with diet exercise etc. will be all I have needed. So far after a month the original symptoms are gone. Last year was a year of very big physical projects. I'm going to use that as reasonable explanation until any symptoms tell me other wise. I'm glad that summer is almost here, summer has always been my feel my best time of year.

We'll see, thanks for the advise,

Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

7,324 posts, read 5,211,066 times
Quote:

Thank you. It's about time someone said that here.....Neuropathy is a diabetic complication that shows up later rather than earlier in the course of T2, and usually means lack of control for an extended period...Walkers/runners are more likely to suffer neuropathy from over-use, repetitive trauma to peripheral nerves &/or back problems.

Otoh-- exercise is an excellent way to prevent elevated BS from showing up in a genetically predisposed diabetic or to get them back down in a diabetic in poor control. ..A new pt once came to me (5'6"/220 lb) who was diagnosed with DM 2 yrs earlier, responded poorly to oral meds and started on Insulin. Of course he got fatter and BSs went even higher....I stopped the Insulin, started glucophage and prescribed a low carb diet. I told him exercise, like walking, would help....He came back after a month having lost about 10 lb and with an excellent BS.....He was walking 10 miles a day!!

Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

17,570 posts, read 39,232,915 times
Quote:

I am glad you posted this. While I am a (fairly) newly diagnosed T2 I have had long standing spinal issues of all types and my feet were starting to have a few issues. After my accident breaking my knee, I seem to have suffered more damage to my spine and my feet have not been the same since. I have lots of tingling/stiffness in feet and toes, and also in my legs. I have compression, injured and fused discs, spinal stenosis, bone spurs, arthritis and scoliosis. I wasn't doing too bad before the accident, always kept active and did a lot of stretching. I do the best I can these days, but I can't do as much as before. I really watch my blood glucose because I don't want any further complications.

I apparently need the insulin; I have tried (with dr.'s suggestion) to cut back, but when I do my #s go up even with a good diet and exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes