Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 07:37 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,540,182 times

Advertisements

Over the years I have often heard that the scale is about a week behind in registering your weight loss. The hard work you do this week won't necessarily show up until next week's weigh in?

Any truth to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 07:46 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
Every body is a little different in weight loss. But I notice I will bloat up (adding a few) before I go down which usually happens within a week or less. Just take your weight everyday for awhile to see how your body does it. It never worked for me to take weight 1x week or 1x a month. I thought that was useless because of pms water weight so I could not really see what was going on with my progress. Another bonus of daily weights is that you will see any water weight gains that come from hormones, too much salt, etc. If you get a digital scale thats rather accurate you may even have the joy of watching it creep down all week on steady weeks.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:46 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,548 times
I have always noticed this personally. Weight loss and gain seems to show up one week late for me. Which is why the first week in January is always so depressing

Old 07-01-2010, 01:11 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Over the years I have often heard that the scale is about a week behind in registering your weight loss. The hard work you do this week won't necessarily show up until next week's weigh in?

Any truth to this?
I don't think it's true, maybe 1 or 2 days.

Sometimes you just get stuck and need some help to boost your metabolism. This is the part where I kind of agree with the Body for Life approach (diet 6 days, and eat whatever you want on day 7) I also think strength workouts are key, not just cardio alone.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:59 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,948 times
A friend I've known for years who is very obsessed with their weight (self described anorexic/bulimic) told me that it takes five days for a binge to show up on the scale. With that knowledge, I guess it would also take that amount of time to show weight loss as well. Unfortunately, as was mentioned, if you're prone to bloat or retain water the fluctuations on the scale can be frustrating, especially if you've been working hard on trying to lose weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
This is the part where I kind of agree with the Body for Life approach (diet 6 days, and eat whatever you want on day 7) I also think strength workouts are key, not just cardio alone.
Can you really eat what you want, or just at one meal that day? Just curious.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Every body is a little different in weight loss. But I notice I will bloat up (adding a few) before I go down which usually happens within a week or less. Just take your weight everyday for awhile to see how your body does it. It never worked for me to take weight 1x week or 1x a month. I thought that was useless because of pms water weight so I could not really see what was going on with my progress. Another bonus of daily weights is that you will see any water weight gains that come from hormones, too much salt, etc. If you get a digital scale thats rather accurate you may even have the joy of watching it creep down all week on steady weeks.
Now that you mention it my body does seem to bloat up and lug down a bit (exercise wise) right before I start losing again. After seeing the scale inch up a bit last week it was good to see some pounds dropping off again today.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post

I stick to my food plan 6 days a week and then relax for a day, all day.

I don't binge at all you can eat buffets or anything. But I'll have a heavier breakfast than normal and if I've been craving something a little wicked, I'll feel free to indulge in that food without feeling even a speck of guilt.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:36 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
That is not true for me. If I pig out one day, it shows up the next. If I am "good" one day, it shows up the next.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:33 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
It's all day but chances are that once you start seeing results and lose weight, you won't go overboard on your free day like the other poster said.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:56 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,948 times
Thanks for the explanations on the 7th day of Body for Life. I always worry that if I give myself too much freedom, I could go crazy!

I think that it seems like a good idea to "rest" the diet a little bit on the 7th day as it could help give the metabolism a boost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss