Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 04:08 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,050 times

Advertisements

There are 2 books that a friend has recommended to me and both deal with somewhat recent studies on leptin.

Amazon.com: The Rosedale Diet: Books: Ron Rosedale,Carol Colman

and

Amazon.com: Mastering Leptin: The Leptin Diet, Solving Obesity and Preventing Disease, Second Edition: Books: Byron J. Richards,Mary Guignon Richards

Any thoughts?

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 05:46 PM

453 posts, read 2,101,566 times
i know a little. what would you like to know?

Old 06-21-2007, 07:07 PM

Just wondering if anyone has tried the program and any thoughts on it.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
i know a little. what would you like to know?

Old 06-21-2007, 08:00 PM

well, i don't know too much about the program, and i don't have my notes with me, but i'll tell you what i know and hopefully that will give you an idea of what the book is about.

leptin is a hormone with basically signals the "fed state." this means that when leptin is high, it is telling your body that you have all of your caloric needs met. this can be helpful for people who are trying to get very lean and retain muscle; if leptin is high, your body thinks that it has plenty of food in order to supply the muscle with nutrients (muscle burns a lot of calories), and so you can retain muscle well while losing fat.

however, i think what you're looking for is understanding how leptin can impede dieting. i'm not too strong on this subject, as most of the studying i did on leptin was moreso related to my needs. if one is rather overweight (clinically obese), then high leptin levels would impede weightloss because the body is still feeling like it is "fed." if the body thinks that it has plenty of calories coming in, or at least thinks it is, it can prevent weightloss. of course this is not a technical explaination, but i hope it gives you the general idea.

there are plenty of supplements and foods that can increase leptin signalling. keeping carbohydrates high will help increase leptin due to higher glycogen levels. also, fructose will increase liver glycogen levels, which has a large inpact on leptin levels.

check out Search | Mind and Muscle . it's a couple of articles on leptin written by caleb stone, who is a well-respected author in the bodybuilding world. of course these articles are going to be written more towards the bodybuilding crowd, but it's full of info and most importantly, it's free!

also, i would like to thank you for bringing up this topic; i'm about to go on a short diet in a few weeks, and i think i'm going to re-read those articles as they will probably be helpful.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:31 AM

Thank you. I will look at those articles.

I have started back to working out a bit and trying to lose and tone. In fact, today I am very sore!

I have ordered (on hold) one of the leptin diet books from the library and am waiting for it to get in.

A couple of people I have met have been proclaiming the wonders of following a leptin diet. They have lost all kinds of weight and had health improvements, etc...

I have had a hard time getting my mind around it as I have been really trying to eat all natural foods, without an processing, and very little to no meat or animal products. But I am not losing.

Anyway, thanks.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
well, i don't know too much about the program, and i don't have my notes with me, but i'll tell you what i know and hopefully that will give you an idea of what the book is about.

leptin is a hormone with basically signals the "fed state." this means that when leptin is high, it is telling your body that you have all of your caloric needs met. this can be helpful for people who are trying to get very lean and retain muscle; if leptin is high, your body thinks that it has plenty of food in order to supply the muscle with nutrients (muscle burns a lot of calories), and so you can retain muscle well while losing fat.

however, i think what you're looking for is understanding how leptin can impede dieting. i'm not too strong on this subject, as most of the studying i did on leptin was moreso related to my needs. if one is rather overweight (clinically obese), then high leptin levels would impede weightloss because the body is still feeling like it is "fed." if the body thinks that it has plenty of calories coming in, or at least thinks it is, it can prevent weightloss. of course this is not a technical explaination, but i hope it gives you the general idea.

there are plenty of supplements and foods that can increase leptin signalling. keeping carbohydrates high will help increase leptin due to higher glycogen levels. also, fructose will increase liver glycogen levels, which has a large inpact on leptin levels.

check out Search | Mind and Muscle . it's a couple of articles on leptin written by caleb stone, who is a well-respected author in the bodybuilding world. of course these articles are going to be written more towards the bodybuilding crowd, but it's full of info and most importantly, it's free!

also, i would like to thank you for bringing up this topic; i'm about to go on a short diet in a few weeks, and i think i'm going to re-read those articles as they will probably be helpful.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
A couple of people I have met have been proclaiming the wonders of following a leptin diet. They have lost all kinds of weight and had health improvements, etc...
leptin is rather new and isn't completely understood, and can often be the one factor that prevents people from having a successful diet. so a diet that is tailored to affect leptin positively can be rather effective.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:07 PM

Well, I am going to get the book and read it. I did print out a list of foods you can eat and somewhat how to eat them (when and such) but I want to understand it a bit more.

Thanks,

Dawn (who has struggled for a while now.)

Old 06-22-2007, 05:06 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,413,002 times
Tyr Global DNA Solutions for more information about Leptin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss