Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I've read about Aspartame and how it can contribute to overweight..it's a complicated metabolic process that overloads the liver and causes increased fat storage. But then, the FDA has received more complaints about the side effects of Aspartame than any other 'food' product or additive...it's viewed as a 'sweet poison' by many researchers...it would a wise move to avoid it if one values their health.

Google Aspartame and view the information you'll find--it's startling and upsetting. Made me avoid all foods and drinks with Aspartame in them.
Aspartame breaks down into three components: phenylalanine (an essential amino acid that you must get from diet), aspartic acid (non-essential amino acid), and methanol (methyl alcohol). Two of these compounds are used to build muscle and lean tissue in the body, one of them is even essential in a diet. Methanol is a simple alcohol that occurs throughout nature and is in the foods you eat all the time (juices, tomatoes, etc.). The methanol breaks down into formaldehyde, however there is such a tiny tiny fraction of formaldehyde that the liver doesn't even notice it. The less methanol, the less formaldehyde, and there is far less methanol in a can of diet coke than a ripe tomato.

The chemistry doesn't point to fatty liver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 07:27 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yes, of course, much info on the Internet is untrue...however, it is an unarguable fact that the FDA received more complaints on Aspartame for illness and serious side effects than any other food additive:

Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA. Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death.(1)

A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include: Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain.

Where there's smoke, there's generally fire. I care about my health. I'm not putting a bunch of chemicals in my body that cause brain tumors in lab mice.
Riiiiight. There was also a study done where people were given "aspartame" tablets. Oh, they were placebos. Guess what? A bunch of people started complaining of the same symptoms. They were also surveyed before hand to see their opinions on it and what they had heard, and guess what? The ones who had "negative reactions" had negative connotations with it. That is what we call "all in your head."

Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Let's agree to disagree...I'm not going to drink or eat a chemical like aspartame that has generated so many reports to the FDA (more than any other food additive) by people who have had so many serious side effects including seizures and death...why would a thinking person do that? Was it all in the heads of the FDA reporters? All of them??

Please cite the study you quoted and who financed it, please.

Personally, I don't gamble with my health like that--it's Russian roulette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss