Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:46 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,948,419 times

Advertisements

Oh... and I'm making friends at the gym (well.. smiling and getting "hellos" which is more than I got when I started in April)!! lol Then I was just a 45yo, fat, guy walking through. Now I'm a recognizable fat, 45yo walking through!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 PM

196 posts, read 564,080 times
I didn't even finish reading the replies, but will give you my input. You are not eating enough. 1600 - 2200 is not enough for 285 lbs guy.. And since you retired from Navy I am assuming you used to be pretty built and have muscles. I am 140 lbs female and my calorie intake is 1700-2000. You need to feed those muscles if you want to shed the fat. With that calorie intake I doubt any of your 5 lbs gain is muscle mass.. Eat more!

Old 07-25-2010, 11:40 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,161 times
Quote:
Here's my normal daily diet:
6:30-7:30 - Protein Bar (32g protein, 280 calories), 12 oz. Orange juice.
9:15-9:45 - Two small pieces of cheese (individually wrapped) and an apple.
11:00-11:30 - Small to normal portion of lunch but include 6 oz protein and some foliage (fruits/veggies).
5:00 - Normal portion of dinner (I've been downsizing my plates from regular larger dinner plates to paper plate-size)

On occasion, I will have ice cream after dinner (once every two weeks or so).

I drink between 50-80 oz of water/gatorade a day (normally gatorade after a workout.
I know I am late on this. I've been really busy here lately.
1st...you need to eat more. Dont let your calorie intake go below 1200. Make sure you get a complex carb and protien at each meal and stick to serving sizes.
For example:
Breakfast: of Egg whites and oatmeal
mid morning: Say its after the gym, protien shake and a peice of fruit
lunch: grilled chicken and brown rice
mid afternoon: tuna sandwich on wheat bread
dinner: (a personal favorite) Chili Chicken Kabobs and a vegi
evening snack: cottage cheese or nuts
My meals (even though I am a female) are very close to above. Doing this and working out I lost a total of 45 lbs. I have gained 5lbs of it back here lately because of ALOT of stuff going on personally and really got off track in the past 4-almost 5 months. Tracking your food also helps. Everything you put into your mouth, write it down. If you have to measure or weigh your food out, do it. You will be amazed how much 6 oz of chicken is .
2nd-Kick gatoraide and all those other flavored drinks to the curb. They are loaded with high fructose corn syrup.
One last suggestion. Cut salts, sugars, high fructose corn syrup, enriched flours and hydrogenated oils out.
Your diet is 80% of your weightloss. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:02 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,948,419 times
Ladybug (and any other I forgot). Thank you for the inputs. You can see how hard it is when some tell you to eat less and others tell you to eat more. I've also heard of the 10% rule. That is... if I want get to a specific weight - only eat the amount of calories that's 10% of that weight. (e.g. if I want to get down to 190lbs, I would take in 1900 calories per day).

As I've said.. I'm feeling more energy and definitely stronger (I am doing weight training with the aerobics - but they are low-medium weights and high reps). I heard you need to have muscle to help burn fat faster, but you can't work on muscle INCREASE and weight LOSS at the same time. So, I'm just firming up the muscles I ("supposedly") have. lol

Thanks again all for the inputs... I'll stay the course and see where I end up down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss