Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:24 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,411,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
Nope not looking for a modeling contract. LOL But I'm 5'5 150lbs. I am right at the verge of being overweight for my height and dont like it. Up until I started this office job 3 years ago, I weighed between 105-110(size 1) and now I'd just be happy to be down at 125-130ish(size 5). I have a lot of tummy pudge too, I constantly get the-are you pregnant question and I hate it. But thanks!
Those are your measurements and you're 150? Then you need to thank your physical trainer LOL You're in nice shape. Well, I would lay off the weights a bit, and do more cardio. Sadly, doctors wouldn't recommend it, but I think if you're not losing more weight, you need to eat less.

But how to do that without ruining your metabolism?

Good luck, sweetie. Maybe someone else will have good advice for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 03:40 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,680,731 times
Don't lay off the weights - that's terrible advice.

Stop paying attention to the scale, and go by measurements. You are gaining muscle and losing fat fat, and so I know your clothes are fitting better. Just keep it up, stay the course. The belly fat will go away if you keep doing what you are doing.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 PM

4,677 posts, read 2,061,710 times
I will not lie, my clothes are fitting looser but for all the work I'm doing and not to really see the lbs coming off on the scale is really frustrating!

And as far as exercise, the class I'm in meets M-F for 45 minutes and every other day is either upper body or lower body. We run at least two laps a day, crunches, push ups, lots of stuff with weights, more running, curls, squats, etc. So we do cardio and weights usually on a daily basis.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:32 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,680,731 times
Quote:
I will not lie, my clothes are fitting looser but for all the work I'm doing and not to really see the lbs coming off on the scale is really frustrating!

And as far as exercise, the class I'm in meets M-F for 45 minutes and every other day is either upper body or lower body. We run at least two laps a day, crunches, push ups, lots of stuff with weights, more running, curls, squats, etc. So we do cardio and weights usually on a daily basis.
Why be so hung up on the scale? I'm not seeing the benefit. Most people look at my pictures and think I weigh 120. I actually weigh about 138. I certainly dont care... What difference does it make?

Old 07-22-2010, 06:52 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,680,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I always get a good chuckle when someone says "muscle weighs heavier than fat"....

A pound is a pound.
A pound of muscle weighs 1 lb
A pound of fat weighs 1 lb
A pound of feathers...umm....weighs 1 pound.

The truth is that muscle is DENSER than fat.

The poster didn't say a pound of muscle is heavier than a pound of fat. I believe they were probably talking about the volume. A certain volume of muscle will weigh more than the same volume of fat. This is why someone may be skinnier than someone else and weight the same.

She's wondering why she is skinnier but has only lost a few pounds.

Anyway, unless you are dishing out some heavy poundage and doing it intensely, you are not really gaining muscle weight. Your muscles may be getting stronger, but you are probably not gaining pounds because of a gain in muscle. To put on significant muscle weight, it does require you taking in more calories than you eat.

My advice is to keep going at it. Your body probably still has a good amount of fat and your metabolism is probably still pretty low. You are just losing it a little slower than normal. I would consider normal, with a change in exercise and diet, being 1 pound a week. So, 2 months would be around 8-10 pounds. You are slightly under that. Give it more time.

The other thing I find is that my body retains more water when I consistently work out than when I don't. It knows that it's gonna need that water, while when you are not in shape, you don't sweat on a frequent basis. Athletes start sweating sooner and harder than others when doing the same activity.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:45 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,411,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Don't lay off the weights - that's terrible advice.

Stop paying attention to the scale, and go by measurements. You are gaining muscle and losing fat fat, and so I know your clothes are fitting better. Just keep it up, stay the course. The belly fat will go away if you keep doing what you are doing.
How is that terrible advice? She doesn't want to be a bodybuilder, she wants to be slimmer. Maybe I should have said go light on the weights. If she continues to lift weights, she will get bigger muscles. She should at least go light on the weightlifting and do more cardo if she wants to lose pounds.

I think the OP said she wants to lose weight, not gain muscle. It sounds like she's in good shape muscle-wise. Although I am overweight now sigh. I've lifted weights, worked out and danced for years and I still do. If she's like me, she doesn't want to look really "muscly" she wants to slim down and be attractive.

Maybe that's not the loftiest goal in the world to some people, but her muscles aren't going to go away if she lightens up a bit. My mom used to lift when she was younger and she STILL has an arm like a linebacker and she's 60.

She lived on a farm as a child, and did a lot of heavy work, too. Personally, I don't want that to happen to me because when she got fat, she looked fatter, and the big muscles were still there...under the fat. LOL don't get me wrong, my mom Rocks.

Some women can gain muscle easily by weightlifiting. Personally, I say unless you want to have big muscles, go light on the weights. You'll be toned, but still what I consider more feminine-looking.

pffft so there

Old 07-25-2010, 07:34 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,554,984 times
The same advice I gave Florida Mom:

Advice needed.Female beginner wants to lose 107 pounds.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:03 AM

15 posts, read 21,763 times
Quote:
But I'm really not eating more, I'm eating less(have lowered my portion sizes), try not to eat fast food. I think I've had fast food 2 times in the last 11 weeks. I eat fruits and veggies. And drinks tons of water! Thats why I'm lost. I dont know what else to do. My trainer said I have to be under 1700 calories a day but not under 1200 calories and I am usually closer to 1200 than the 1700. I'm approx. between 1300-1400 a day.
This is good. just make sure that you don't go on any starvation diet or your metabolism will slow down and you won't be able to lose weight. keep it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss