Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 01:45 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,331,051 times

Advertisements

Walking is REAL exercise.

Don't listen to him jtur88. You are making a life change that resulted in 30 pounds gone. Stick with it. Also you are being friendlier to the environment by walking instead of wasting gas and your money on gas. Why pay for food calorie energy units you are going to remove and gas energy units you are going to remove? Paying for gas won't make you thinner, just poorer in the wallet. And you don't need to buy special shoes or equipment to walk either. Not to mention is very safe and not known for creating injury which can also be expensive to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 12:43 AM

14,585 posts, read 23,156,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Walking is REAL exercise.

Don't listen to him jtur88. You are making a life change that resulted in 30 pounds gone. Stick with it. Also you are being friendlier to the environment by walking instead of wasting gas and your money on gas. Why pay for food calorie energy units you are going to remove and gas energy units you are going to remove? Paying for gas won't make you thinner, just poorer in the wallet. And you don't need to buy special shoes or equipment to walk either. Not to mention is very safe and not known for creating injury which can also be expensive to deal with.
A) Do you seriously want to get into a fitness debate with Lao? You're simply not equipped to do that.

B) 30 pounds / 52 weeks = .58lbs lost per week, which is certainly not that impressive.

I'm seriously not trying to be the debbie-downer of the group here and 30 losing pounds is a good thing no matter how long it takes, but I wouldn't try to sell it as a way to get healthy. I mean, people like Lao, CrustedFilth, Onglet and myself could have come out with a regime that would have allowed you to lose that weight in about 2 months.

Anyways, congrats on your current progress Jtur88.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:45 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,586,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I think this is just plain silly to call this exercise.

Wouldnt it have been better to just drive to the supermarket, then, when you got home you used all that time you saved to jump rope, do some pushups, RUN/JOG around the block, or any form of REAL exercise?
A lifestyle change the OP can live with is the best form of excercise. You don't have to be gym rat to be healthy. (S)he makes a good point.

I would love to live where I could ride my bike everywhere again. When I was a bike commuter my weight was perfect and I could eat anything I wanted.

It is ridiculous to say that using our body the way it was intended to be used (gee, like a hunter gatherer?) is not "real" excercise.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:17 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,047,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
A lifestyle change the OP can live with is the best form of excercise. You don't have to be gym rat to be healthy.
That is not true. I hate when people here write stuff like this or "any exercise is good good exercise" which is not true at all. What this does is help lazy a$$e$ who dont really want to exercise justify saying "Oh I worked in my garden so I exercised" or "I walk to the market to get my exercise" instead of actually getting up and REALLY exercising no matter what their current fitness level is. Heck, my 90 year old grandmother still gets on her treadmill and goes for at least 30 minutes each day at a good constant pace.

Im just saying that when people post stuff like this they should at the very least add something that says that its exercise for the near infirm and not something that the average person who wants to exercise would/could do for results.

A good friend of mine was more than 300 pounds. Her fat friends were telling her that she should start slowly and "walk" or "lift cans of soup" to get in shape and other nonsense. Instead of doing that ridiculousness, she started taking my martial arts classes. She jumped right in full bore doing 1-2 hour classes at a time. She's now down almost 100 pounds, quit smoking and is now engaged to a rather handsome dear friend of mine who is encouraging her to continue training and losing weight. She's the happiest she's ever been in her life.

I understand that many of your views come from your own experience and where you are today. After all, you are a granny, so I dont think anyone would expect you to recommend squats, sumo deadlifts, box jumps, etc. to someone who wants to get in shape because you approach things from a grandmotherly persepective. My granny wouldnt recommend squats, bench presses either as she'd probably recommend something that she does herself (treadmill and dumbbells).

Old 08-08-2010, 12:04 PM

Uh, I am working with a personal trainer on machines and freeweights.

My grandparents never did formal "excercise" all their life other than walking, and farming and were quite fine - How many Amish do you see at they gym? A walking lifestyle is one step in that direction.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:07 PM

17,624 posts, read 16,793,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
That is not true. I hate when people here write stuff like this or "any exercise is good good exercise" which is not true at all. What this does is help lazy a$$e$ who dont really want to exercise justify saying "Oh I worked in my garden so I exercised" or "I walk to the market to get my exercise" instead of actually getting up and REALLY exercising no matter what their current fitness level is. Heck, my 90 year old grandmother still gets on her treadmill and goes for at least 30 minutes each day at a good constant pace.

Im just saying that when people post stuff like this they should at the very least add something that says that its exercise for the near infirm and not something that the average person who wants to exercise would/could do for results.

A good friend of mine was more than 300 pounds. Her fat friends were telling her that she should start slowly and "walk" or "lift cans of soup" to get in shape and other nonsense. Instead of doing that ridiculousness, she started taking my martial arts classes. She jumped right in full bore doing 1-2 hour classes at a time. She's now down almost 100 pounds, quit smoking and is now engaged to a rather handsome dear friend of mine who is encouraging her to continue training and losing weight. She's the happiest she's ever been in her life.

I understand that many of your views come from your own experience and where you are today. After all, you are a granny, so I dont think anyone would expect you to recommend squats, sumo deadlifts, box jumps, etc. to someone who wants to get in shape because you approach things from a grandmotherly persepective. My granny wouldnt recommend squats, bench presses either as she'd probably recommend something that she does herself (treadmill and dumbbells).
Your friend's approach to fitness often backfires.

I know a few people who jogged/jumped/ran while they were overweight and their joints are so crunchy now that they can barely make it up a flight of stairs by themselves.

And I'm not talking about elderly individuals, I'm talking about people who are in their late 40's/early 50's!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:52 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,331,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
A) Do you seriously want to get into a fitness debate with Lao? You're simply not equipped to do that.

B) 30 pounds / 52 weeks = .58lbs lost per week, which is certainly not that impressive.

I'm seriously not trying to be the debbie-downer of the group here and 30 losing pounds is a good thing no matter how long it takes, but I wouldn't try to sell it as a way to get healthy. I mean, people like Lao, CrustedFilth, Onglet and myself could have come out with a regime that would have allowed you to lose that weight in about 2 months.

Anyways, congrats on your current progress Jtur88.
Oh I am "equipped" and we have. He has also said some things that are flat out wrong. But I think Lao can take care of himself. So you don't need to bother with bring that into this.

Changes that stick are far better than speed loss. Any idiot can lose weight. Its making livable changes you LIKE and actually DO that makes it count.

Its NOT about impressing people. Its about getting healthy and STAYING that way. People like you with your perfectionist attitude is why people just give up and stay fat. I would say the lot of you workout and avoid food to the point of where its borderline disordered.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:23 PM

I, too, am trying to figure out what is *wrong* with a 30lb loss over a year? Maybe the older I get the more I realize that rushing to get anywhere usually leaves you ....behind. My current success is due to the fact that I quit looking for magic, and decided to make lifestyle changes, one thing at a time.

I find gentle irony in that fact that the quote "A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step" is credited to Lao-Tzu

Old 08-08-2010, 02:07 PM

12,973 posts, read 34,047,966 times
This guy said it best here - https://www.city-data.com/forum/15386720-post39.html

Old 08-08-2010, 03:01 PM

17,624 posts, read 16,793,780 times
The little things do add up and they can have a big impact on your overall health. Ex: I lived in an apartment at one point and had to walk up/down more than a few flights of stairs every day - I had to carry groceries up those stairs, lug laundry to/from the basement laundry room, etc. I never really thought much of it, though. In fact, I thought it was funny when visitors would complain about the long hike up to my apartment. What wimps - lol.

Later, I moved into a house with far fewer steps to climb. About 5 months later I returned to my former apartment building to visit a friend....and I had to climb up all those stairs again. I soon discovered that climbing long flights of stairs is not nearly as easy when you don't do it every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss