Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you buy soy products?
No, it doesnt agree with me 8 27.59%
No, because I believe it is unhealthy 10 34.48%
Yes, because its healthier than meat 8 27.59%
Yes, because I'm vegetarian and need protein 5 17.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:11 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,108 times

Advertisements

I like Boca Burgers, but I much prefer black bean burgers if I'm going vegetarian for a night. I think one of the worst mistakes people do when making veggie burgers is trying to make a "faux meat" taste like the real thing. It never will and it will never have the same texture. However, you can make a YUMMY veggie burger if you avoid this path and by adding some seasonings, a good mix of ingredients, etc..

Beans and rice are a staple of vegetarian nights here. Most "faux meat" products aren't that good, and the ones that are somewhat flavorful are just really expensive. I'd rather just get some meat in me than try to imitate the taste. Otherwise, if I want to go meat free for a night, I'll use ingredients carefully to make something good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 05:30 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,345 times
This appears to be a balanced web article with links to scientific studies. It presents two sides of the argument. I am glad that I nursed both of my babies for a full year even though I currently do eat some soy products but am rethinking the soy isolate.

Soy and the Thyroid: A Look at the Controversy Over Soy and Thyroid Health

Old 08-10-2010, 02:22 PM

17,362 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
I like Boca Burgers, but I much prefer black bean burgers if I'm going vegetarian for a night. I think one of the worst mistakes people do when making veggie burgers is trying to make a "faux meat" taste like the real thing. It never will and it will never have the same texture. However, you can make a YUMMY veggie burger if you avoid this path and by adding some seasonings, a good mix of ingredients, etc..

Beans and rice are a staple of vegetarian nights here. Most "faux meat" products aren't that good, and the ones that are somewhat flavorful are just really expensive. I'd rather just get some meat in me than try to imitate the taste. Otherwise, if I want to go meat free for a night, I'll use ingredients carefully to make something good.
I like all kinds of gardenburgers - black bean and mushroom burgers are my favorite. I have a (Morningstar Farms) burger no bun about once a week along with some brown rice and a side salad. I do think they are healthier than the typical fast food burger - way less salt and fat.

I'm pretty sure the black bean and mushroom varieties also have soy in them, so I might look into making my own from scratch.

Soy is in a lot of different things now - many if not most cereals seem to have it these days. My general take is that it's probably fine for most of us to have in moderation.

Last edited by springfieldva; 08-10-2010 at 02:52 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 07:14 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,076 times
I have a weird feeling about eating soy. Why is it in Pam spray??

I think it is a cheap alternative for something more natural.

I will be discontinuing use and switch to almond based products!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
I drink a few ounces of organic soy milk three or four times a week (helps with the hot flashes ); veggie burgers and their ilk are too salty and too processed for me.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,734 times
Soy just does not agree with me...flatulence off the chart Esp. soy milk. From what I've read, soy isn't necessarily a good thing for us to eat. I've eaten it my whole life...in Oriental food. In that small quantity it's ok. Wish it were different for me

BTW, soy candles don't seem to bother me...I love 'em.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:25 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,752 times
I'm a vegetarian and it's a good source of protein for me, so I eat soy-based courses sometimes, but I usually prefer brown rice, beans and all.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:36 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
For a while I was buying soy milk for my pre-teen daughter because she doesn't like regular milk, but I got spooked by the whole hormone thing so I stopped. Also, I read an article recently (in Mother Jones, I think) that said that in terms of the environment, meat may actually be better than soy because soy it takes so many resources to turn soy beans into things such as milk and meat substitutes.

We'll continue to use tofu in stirfries, etc., but not really for anything else.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:55 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Also, I read an article recently (in Mother Jones, I think) that said that in terms of the environment, meat may actually be better than soy because soy it takes so many resources to turn soy beans into things such as milk and meat substitutes.
Do you mean the article (a really short meat vs. soy debate) post in the June or July issue? That was just a silly pi$$ing match. What would you expect an animal farmer to say - that soy is more ecologically and environmentally friendly? He actually said that we (Americans) should be eating twice the amount of beef meat that we do. Seriously? I guess the AMA has a lot to learn. (Disregard if that's not the article you were talking about ` ).

Soy should be eaten fresh, within a few days of it being made. Real tofu and soy milk spoil within a couple of days. In the last posted article, they refer to it as "traditional soy." If you eat/buy anything that can keep for weeks or can be frozen, or if you buy soy milk in grocery stores like Safeway, Albertson's, etc. you are not getting the real stuff which it the only type that has health benefits, imo.

Unfortunately, fresh soy is just not that easy to find.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
My problem with soy is what I have read about the estrogens and the potential for it to increase the incidence of Cancer in women. I wasn't aware of the thyroid connect too. Thanks...informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss