Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 03:44 PM

414 posts, read 1,010,505 times

Advertisements

So, I had a baby 8 months ago and I've lost most of the weight...but there is just this pesky 20 pounds (ok really it's 10, but I'm trying to lose 10 from my starting weight) that I just can't shake!

I became especially frustrated after I weighed myself this summer and had been working out regularly, consuming less calories and eating healthy food then decided to weigh myself again and NOTHING.

Now, as of late, I have not been as dedicated...with 3 weddings, interviews etc., but I'm trying to get back into the swing of things!

I've never been a runner but I will split walking and running together,exercise bands (giant rubber bands) every morning and evening for toning as well. I also push the stroller on my walks...

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have just been very frustrated and am really trying to lose this by the one year mark...which I think is a VERY realistic goal.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 04:14 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,339,983 times
Don't have any advice. I'm in the same boat as you. My baby is 9 1/2 months old and she is my third so it just gets harder and harder for me anyways.
How many kids do you have?
I found that after I had my first I didn't really lose all the weight until he was over 2. This time my kids are only 2 years apart and its proving rather difficult. If you are breastfeeding you might not lose the weight until your baby weans. Did you have a c-section?
Thanks for the thread.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:21 PM

414 posts, read 1,010,505 times
Default It's So Frustrating!

No problem! I figured there were bound to be some others in the same boat as me!

This is my first, she is weaned and I didn't have a section. I just felt like the first portion of my weight dropped really quick and the second half is just so stinking stubborn! I know most people say it takes around a year to lose everything...considering it takes 9 months to gain the weight, so I'm thinking 20 pounds by December is totally doable.

I actually can tell that my arms and legs are toning some, which makes me happy; but when the results don't show on the scale...it just irritates me! I'm only one size away from the jean size I was pre-baby and I'm trying to get down one more from that. It's good to have goals!

So I guess if you want any advice from me, I'd say purchase some exercise bands for toning. They are easy to work with and are great at night, morning, or whenever...easy to do in the living room too. I think they are technically called resistance bands...maybe. Many colleges/universities have their athletes use them for stretching etc.

Well, I hope this thread proves beneficial for more than me! If anyone has any tips on how they lost their last bit of baby weight, clearly there are some of us who would like to be let in on the secret!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:58 AM

757 posts, read 2,084,616 times
I have one word for you P90X ! I had to take predinsone about 3 years ago for 2 months and it made me gain a lot of weight. Everybody asked me if I was pregnant because the weight was mainly in my gut. I hired physical trainers, etc and nothing worked.

2 1/2 years later I looked the same Until.....I started P90X! I now look even better than I did before I took the predinsone and it's much cheaper than a physical trainer that I had before. I didn't go by their diet plan, I go by my own because I know I can stick with it. Here is a rough example of what I eat daily.

I only drink water after breakfast

Breakfast
2 hard boiled eggs
coffee
8oz glass of fat free milk

snack
small amount of almonds
string cheese

Drink a liter of water throughout the day before lunch

Lunch
grilled chicken salad with no dressing many variations such as grilled chicken with blackberries and almonds or grilled chicken with cucumbers, tomatoes, a little cheese. Instead of using dressing, I really marinate the grilled chicken well in a low fat homeade marinade that gives it a lot of flavor.

snack
choboni greek yogurt drink a glass of water with this snack

dinner
I can pretty much have anything, just in the appropriate portion size.

snack
banana with 1/2 teaspoon of melted milk chocolate or 1/2 teaspoon peanut butter. Drink a glass of water with this snack

The key of my eating is to eat very low or no carb the first 3/4 of the day so that I don't get the sugar crash that makes me hungry all day long. This way, I don't get hungry. Eating a lot of protein will help you stay full, for example choboni has 14g of protein.

I stay very full on this plan....I'm the type of person who is always hungry! Not on the above plan!

Old 08-20-2010, 08:02 AM

I've hear of p90x but I really can't afford it. Its too expensive. Any other suggestions? I mean I've cut out all sodas and I'm still not losing any more weight. I have lost 40 pounds so far but I haven't lost the 20 pounds I put on as a result of having 3 kids.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:11 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,975,442 times
I second the P90x program. You can often find it at a huge discount on Craigslist.

My wife was really worried about getting back to her pre-baby weight after her second child. The first is 15 years old, and little one is 2 years. She gained a LOT with the second pregnancy but once she stopped breastfeeding she was able to lose all of the weight. She doesnt like lifting weights too much but she does about 6-8 hours of yoga per week. She's 5' 2" tall and as of today is a fit 122.8 pounds compared to her 168-170 plus pregnancy pounds.

There are some GREAT yoga routines that can be found on YouTube and the best part is that they are FREE. With the YouTube yoga and your resistance bands (you really should get some dumbbells though) and clean healthy nutrition (i.e., none of that no carb, no this type restriction diets) you WILL lose the weight you want.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:31 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,975,442 times
Here is a great FREE one hour yoga routine that you can try.

YouTube - The Ashtanga Primary Series

This is another that I often do as part of my yoga warmup. Its only 5 minutes but you can do just this routine several times for a good workout as well.

YouTube - Yoga Sun Salutations - Dancing Warrior

Old 08-20-2010, 12:14 PM

757 posts, read 2,084,616 times
You can afford P90X. Buy it on craigslist. People sell it for around $75 on craigslist still in the package. That's less than one month at the gym.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:07 PM

196 posts, read 564,427 times
If cutting out sodas is as far as you are willing to go no P90X will help. Building the body of your dreams is HARD work.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug24 View Post
If cutting out sodas is as far as you are willing to go no P90X will help. Building the body of your dreams is HARD work.

No its not as far as I go but you would think that cutting out sodas would help wouldn't you????
I am convinced that there is something wrong with my body. Maybe its the pristiq I am on that is causing the inability to lose the weight. I am at my wits end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss