Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 08:42 AM

207 posts, read 704,913 times

Advertisements

OK, I am feeling a little bummed out right now. I am between 11-15 lbs more than I was before I had my baby. Yet my "baby" just celebrated her 2nd birthday. Not only am I heavier, but I have also lost muscle tone, so I am also soft & have dimples in places I never had them before (legs, butt, etc).

I gained 75lbs during my pregnancy and started walking & working out at a gym right away and lost a lot of weight during the first year. I walked a lot because I was able to put my daughter in a stroller & do a path around my neighborhood that was about 2 miles long. I also belonged to a gym that was right across the street & it provided daycare, but it was sooo expensive & my daughter never got used to the daycare so they often called me to get her. So I usually would pay a babysitter to watch her at my house while I worked out. Anyway, due to the cost I did not rejoined as I figured I would just walk especially since it is nice out.

The problem is my daughter now refuses to be put in the stroller. I can get home by 5pm & my husband does not get home until after 6pm. Ideally it would be nice to walk for about 30 minutes & then start dinner prior to my husband getting home. However, because my daughter will not get into the stroller it really messes up the schedule and I usually end up not being able to walk at all.

I should also mention that in addition to working full time, I am also in graduate school part time so my goal is usually to have working out, dinner & baby to bed by 8:30pm. Then I can study and at some point still spend time with my husband.

Are there any parents in similiar situations? Or can anyone give me suggestions for what I can do to get my daughter in the stroller again? I miss walking with her and I miss how good I use to feel as lately I feel tired and slougish and my tummy is starting to be forever bloated.

Sorry to vent, I needed to get this off my chest. I thank you in advance for suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 09:33 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
my sister gets up earlier than her daughter and husband in the mornings and if she does wake up my BIL takes care of her till she gets home.
I also use to make the 5am gym time, takes a little while to adjust but for some it works out nicely.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:56 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylove76 View Post
OK, I am feeling a little bummed out right now. I am between 11-15 lbs more than I was before I had my baby. Yet my "baby" just celebrated her 2nd birthday. Not only am I heavier, but I have also lost muscle tone, so I am also soft & have dimples in places I never had them before (legs, butt, etc).

I gained 75lbs during my pregnancy and started walking & working out at a gym right away and lost a lot of weight during the first year. I walked a lot because I was able to put my daughter in a stroller & do a path around my neighborhood that was about 2 miles long. I also belonged to a gym that was right across the street & it provided daycare, but it was sooo expensive & my daughter never got used to the daycare so they often called me to get her. So I usually would pay a babysitter to watch her at my house while I worked out. Anyway, due to the cost I did not rejoined as I figured I would just walk especially since it is nice out.

The problem is my daughter now refuses to be put in the stroller. I can get home by 5pm & my husband does not get home until after 6pm. Ideally it would be nice to walk for about 30 minutes & then start dinner prior to my husband getting home. However, because my daughter will not get into the stroller it really messes up the schedule and I usually end up not being able to walk at all.

I should also mention that in addition to working full time, I am also in graduate school part time so my goal is usually to have working out, dinner & baby to bed by 8:30pm. Then I can study and at some point still spend time with my husband.

Are there any parents in similiar situations? Or can anyone give me suggestions for what I can do to get my daughter in the stroller again? I miss walking with her and I miss how good I use to feel as lately I feel tired and slougish and my tummy is starting to be forever bloated.

Sorry to vent, I needed to get this off my chest. I thank you in advance for suggestions
I feel your pain! I gained 70-75 with each pregnancy... I've had two. I've lost all the weight and then some. The first one was easy to get the weight off but the second one took A LOT longer. I was a huge pregnant woman. Anyway, with both kids I did pretty much the same thing - I dieted. I didn't walk every single day but rather during nap time I would do 30 minutes of yoga. But more importantly I watched what I ate. Lots of veggies, no pasta, very little bread (I'd get one of those "wrap" breads that are 50 calories each and make sandwiches), lots of water/tea, fruit, etc. It was almost vegetarian. I would only "splurge" on Friday night - I'd have whatever I wanted then go back to my diet on Saturday and was good for the rest of the week. I'm the type of person that can't just have one piece of pie... I've got to have 3. So, with this I can still eat high calorie foods but only once a week. I've lost over 170 pounds (pregnancy weight + extra). My SIS did this same lifestyle change and she's lost 25 lbs so far.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Old 04-22-2008, 12:37 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quite honestly; I would put the girl in the stroller, let her scream and go jogging. She'll eventually get used to it. My daughter was the same, HATED being buckled in, she would scream her head off, but eventually she realized it didn't do her much good!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:48 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
If your "baby" is now 2 years old I dont think the extra weight you are carrying can be considered "baby weight". Im willing to bet the farm that the weight you are carrying is a result of your diet. What are you eating habits? Im sure being a mom, working full time and going to school makes it difficult to maintain a healthy nutrition plan as you would have to eat whenever you get a chance.

Give us an example of your average daily food intake.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:30 AM

324 posts, read 1,707,183 times
My child also hated the stroller, I now give him snacks, a toy and try to bring along a girlfriend who has a little one his age so they can chat while we walk. He now sits for almost 1 1/2 hours while we walk. Of course I let him out to stretch a little during that time.

I've also heard that it is 80% what you eat and only 20% excersize. So, if you can cut sugar and carbs down and calories that will help.

One more thought...a treadmill?

Old 04-23-2008, 12:55 PM

38 posts, read 183,096 times
Add some resistance training to build muscle. Lift small weights twice a week and you'll see a big difference.
Keep trying to walk daily and don't let your toddler stop you, put her in a tricycle or have her walk with you, even if it's slower you'll still get the benefits.
You could also take her to a park and walk around while she plays. ?

I'm also going through a similar struggle, my baby is only 3 months old and I have a toddler, so I understand is difficult to find the right time and energy to work out. I ride an elliptical 2 times a week and I'm cutting back on sugar and carbs, but I need to do more.

You only have a few pounds to go, don't stop working out now, hang in there, you can do it!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:25 PM

207 posts, read 704,913 times
SUGAR, COFFEE,. I can honestly say I'm addicted to sugar. It started so innocently, some jelly beans everyday @ 3pm. A once in a blue moon stop at the old fashion candy store near my job for a chico stick. Now, I'm munching on candy all day & night & they know me by name when I walk into the store. Honestly, my non sugar diet is very good. I love seafood and I usually make homemade meals 4-5 times per week. I fry foods maybe once a year and bake, broil and saute all of the time. I was a college athlete and could eat what I wanted to. I'm tall over 6ft and was always a size 8 - 10.

Anyway, regarding my daughter. She is 2 years old and she likes to play & a sweetie pie. However, she has been active darn near since she was born. She started crawling @ 5 months & walking @ 9 months. Since then she has been off. And while I can usually keep up with her she hates to get into the stroller. Heck, she is probably the only reason I only have 11-15lbs to go as I am always running after her. Someone said make her get into the stroller and trust me I have tried and tried and tried. She used to let me but one day she figured she would walk and she never got back into it. We use the little monkey harness when we are in the mall, so that helps. However, this weekend I am going to give it another try. She's a really good eater so I try not to bribe her with sweets, but maybe I will try to think of something else to get her to go back to the stroller. We have a park in our area that has a 7 mile path. I used to walk hat path 5 times per week. So I will try to do that again this Saturday with my daughter.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:56 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylove76 View Post
SUGAR, COFFEE,. I can honestly say I'm addicted to sugar.
..... Now, I'm munching on candy all day & night & they know me by name when I walk into the store.
Well duh. There's your problem.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:07 AM

3 posts, read 12,132 times
Go to a dietician. Get the B-12 shot and phentermine. It really works and is not just an advertisment on T.V. I lost 40 lbs in a month in a half. I started walking 3--5 times a week and it just fell off I promise you, you will love it and will not rebound like so many other diet fads! You'll get the energry you like and you'll look great!:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss