Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:38 AM

544 posts, read 1,485,375 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if it's appropriate or effective to lose weight, using this product:

100% Whey Protein by EAS

I've been doing it with frozen bananas for breakfast and I was wondering if I did it for two meals a day, and did a limited vegan lunch, I might lose this last 20 lbs I gained since high school. I think it's for muscle building, and I'm working out, but just wondering if it's good for weight loss, or not a good idea.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 03:41 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,271 times
EAS is all right for weight loss IF it is the kind that is low carb (3-5carbs per scoop) and less than 100-120 calories per scoop.....that is the kind designed for weight loss (the other is for athletes - NOT what you want because they are high in carbs). EAS is not one of the better-tasting protein powders but it is cheaper than some and it can be doctored up with sugar-free syrups like Davinci or Torini. You can also thicken it up by adding some cottage cheese or Greek Yogurt (the 0% fat kind) or a spoonful of sugar-free instant pudding.

If you decide you want to stay on the protein shakes, you might try some other brands - I like Whey Gourmet and Nectar brands very well (I've tried them all in the past 4 years....I drink at least 2 protein supps a day every day). Just be sure that you choose a product that is whey isolate, not a whey blend. If you want to try some RTD's (ready to drink in bottles or cans), the OhYeah brand bottles and the Pure Protein cans are both good. I carry RTD's with me when I travel or go out to breakfast to add to my coffee.

HOWEVER....you are adding lots of calories and carbs to your protein drink by adding bananas - it's one of the poorest choices you can make if you're trying to lose weight. If you have to add fruit, stick to berries.

I make my cold protein shakes in a small blender (a little HamiltonBeach $16 personal blender crushes ice nicely and is a little workshorse)....I use a scoop of powder, 8 oz of water (milk adds too many carbs and calories) and 5-6 ice cubes and a little flavoring. Makes a nice thick drink. If I'm using a chocolate powder, sometimes I use cold coffee or instant coffee crystals).

My favorite way to use the protein powder, tho, is to put a scoop of it in about a cup of tap water, stir to blend and then add a cup of hot coffee and some low fat creamer or half and half (it has fewer carbs and calories than regular milk) and maybe a SF syrup. Make a good warm latte drink for breakfast and/or at bedtime (de-caff works just fine).

You've chosen a good and healthy way to lose weight and maintain your muscle mass. You need to get 80-100 grams of protein a day and keep your carbs low to lose the weight and stay strong. One good way to keep the carbs low without lots of 'counting' is to just avoid any food that is white (corn, rice, potatoes, pasta, etc), but if you are doing lots of work outs you probably need more carbs than I do just for weight loss (and very little exercise!)....just make sure most of your carbs are complex ones (green stuff) and not the simple ones (sugars).

Best wishes to you......you're smart to work on the weight when it's just a '20-lb problem' instead of a '200-lb problem' like I had (notice the past tense!!).

Old 08-19-2010, 05:14 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
Does anyone know if it's appropriate or effective to lose weight, using this product:

100% Whey Protein by EAS

I've been doing it with frozen bananas for breakfast and I was wondering if I did it for two meals a day, and did a limited vegan lunch, I might lose this last 20 lbs I gained since high school. I think it's for muscle building, and I'm working out, but just wondering if it's good for weight loss, or not a good idea.

TIA
Whey is a great source of protein and makes great fruit smoothies (ironically I'm drinking one right now).

However, the plan that you just laid out is not healthy at all. You are not getting a balanced diet and it sounds like you are starving yourself which will lead to your metabolism slowing down and it actually being harder to lose weight. You will also balloon back up when you start to eat more food.

Do the following:

1. Eat a healthy balanced diet. Follow the food pyramid. 3-5 veggies a day, 2-3 fruits a day, 3-5 grains a day, 1-2 lean meat servings a day. If you get cravings for high calorie stuff then eat healthy high calorie stuff (olive oil, nuts, avocados, etc..). Drink only water. If nature made it then eat it.
2. Don't eat crap. If it has refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, trans-fats or something you can't pronounce then don't ingest it. If man made it then don't eat it.
3. Move everyday. Do lots of cardio.

I can't stress enough that you CANNOT starve yourself. By exercising you are using your muscles. Therefore you need a decent amount vitamins, minerals and protein to repair your muscles and keep them going. Even though you need to operate at a calorie deficit, you still need a decent amount of calories to fuel your activity as well.

Do this stuff and you will lose weight, be healthy AND be able to maintain it.

Last edited by Renaldo5000; 08-19-2010 at 05:23 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 10:36 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
I use that EAS protein. It's great quality and works well.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:03 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
The Unjury protein powder is the best, IMO. It's recommended by bariatric surgeons. It has no ingredients from China (guaranteed) which matters to me b/c of the contaminated pet food scandal a few years ago; 3 of my cats got sick and 1 died. Since I will be using a lot of this stuff, that's important to me. The Chinese company added the melamine to their own baby formula and killed some of their own babies. You can order it from www.unjury.com.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The Unjury protein powder is the best, IMO. It's recommended by bariatric surgeons. It has no ingredients from China (guaranteed) which matters to me b/c of the contaminated pet food scandal a few years ago; 3 of my cats got sick and 1 died. Since I will be using a lot of this stuff, that's important to me. The Chinese company added the melamine to their own baby formula and killed some of their own babies. You can order it from www.unjury.com.
That stuff is ridiculously over-priced. For $10 more I could pick up 5lbs of whey from EAS or TrueProtein. Not to mention you're getting more protein per serving.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:09 PM

196 posts, read 564,156 times
Why not just eat a balanced diet??

Old 08-20-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug24 View Post
Protein supplementation and eating a balanced diet are in no way mutually exclusive.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:35 PM

544 posts, read 1,485,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug24 View Post
The problem for me is, I really don't like food all that much. Anything with animal products or grease in it, makes me ill. I'm influenced by the photographs on tv, I've recognized, but then when I go for something like that, it always makes me sick. I'd be happy if I could do a shake and some fruit every day.

I did put a link in the OP, to the product on Amazon, which I'm subscribed to (though I don't eat enough to get it every month), but someone mentioned 'don't get the kind that athletes use, but ..' some other kind. I'm wondering if they followed the link, to see which kind THAT ONE is..? I have no idea.

Sorry if you (someone) doesn't approve of my bananas but I don't think two small, frozen bananas are going to hurt me, and the potassium is probably good as well as fiber? But I could do a shake and coffee (yes, I put coffee in mine, too) and then one other meal a day, like FF oatmeal and dry wheat toast, and an apple or something, and be perfectly happy. Good deal of distilled water and decaf green tea, too. Big salad every once in a while, with almonds and lemon juice. Half and half brown rice/jasmine rice with stir-fry veggies once in a while. Two large multivitamins every morning.

I hate food; this constant lugging of food from the store is such a bore. I used to do soy milk but it's something I found I could forgo, like most of the things we think we "need."

Old 08-20-2010, 02:59 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,377 times
Quote:
The problem for me is, I really don't like food all that much.
I'm sorry, but I don't buy that. Then how are you overweight?

Quote:
Sorry if you (someone) doesn't approve of my bananas but I don't think two small, frozen bananas are going to hurt me, and the potassium is probably good as well as fiber? But I could do a shake and coffee (yes, I put coffee in mine, too) and then one other meal a day, like FF oatmeal and dry wheat toast, and an apple or something, and be perfectly happy. Good deal of distilled water and decaf green tea, too. Big salad every once in a while, with almonds and lemon juice. Half and half brown rice/jasmine rice with stir-fry veggies once in a while. Two large multivitamins every morning.
All good stuff (except for the coffee). It sounds like you are not getting enough protein though. I would up the beans and whey supplements if you are that averse to meat. As an aside, every vegan I know is either too skinny or too fat. They either don't get enough calories and protein or they gorge on garbage to satisfy their high calorie cravings. Also, some of them suffer from the screwed up metabolism that comes from starving and bingeing cycles. Steak may have fat and cholesterol for example, but it is better for you than cookies and potato chips that have nothing of value in them.

Quote:
I hate food; this constant lugging of food from the store is such a bore.
I'd rather lug fresh food home from the store that will nourish my body and maintain my health than to lug around 20 extra pounds. *shrug*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss