Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:05 AM

25 posts, read 66,974 times

Advertisements

My new favorite snack is oven-roasted chickpeas. Add some seasoning (I like cumin, garlic powder, and a little bit of cayenne pepper) and roast for 45 minutes or so at 425. They taste just like corn-nuts but are all protein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 11:42 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
At the risk of hijacking the thread, I just wanna say that IMO, it's not healthy to combine thoughts of "guilt" with food. I'm always hearing people say "I was bad because I ate blah blah blah." Food is food--not vice or virtue.

If you're hungry, eat something. Think about what your body needs and why it needs it. Then eat accordingly. Save your thoughts of guilt and virtue for something less concrete than choosing food or nurishing your body, which you should approach rationally.

On that note, one of my favorite snacks, or mini-meals, is one or two slices of Boar's Head reduced sodium chicken and a slice of some sort of cheese. I roll them up together and dip in mustard. The chicken is high in protein but low in fat and calories. The cheese has calcium and some fat, which along with the protein, keeps me full longer.

Another favorite is cherry tomatoes and baby carrots. The sweetness of the carrots is balanced by the tartness of the tomatoes.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:56 AM

17,403 posts, read 16,553,894 times
I do best when I limit my snacks to fresh veggies and fruits. I love to munch off of one of those premade veggie trays from the grocery store. Usually it has carrots, broccoli, snow peas, celery, cherry tomatoes already washed so there is no preparation needed. (I don't use the dip that usually comes on the tray).

On those days when I crave something warm and comforting, I make brussel sprouts. There is a recipe for them over in the food/recipe forum and boy are they yummy - lay the brussel sprouts in a glass baking dish, drizzle *lightly* with olive oil, sprinkle a pinch of sea salt over them and bake at 450 for 55 minutes. Or I have a bowl of Tabatchnak wilderness rice or mushroom barley soup and wilt in some extra spinach.

I'm also going to have to try that chickpea recipe. I'll bet that would also be a good side dish at meal time.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:02 AM

17,403 posts, read 16,553,894 times
Just looked at the recipe again. Brussel sprouts should be baked at 350 not 450.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:31 AM

443 posts, read 1,793,780 times
Whoever said snacks are bad, has no idea what they are talking about. Snacks are essential for losing weight and are very much good. As long as it's the right type of snack. Obviously a fruit or veggie is going to be better than a Snickers or some junk food. You have to feed your body the right types of foods in order to lose weight. I normally eat carrot sticks, nuts, celery, string cheese guilt free. But too much of anything can be bad for you.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:47 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,407,717 times
I like Black Bean Brownies.

brushrunner

Old 09-14-2010, 04:50 PM
YBF YBF started this thread

1,260 posts, read 3,359,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
I like Black Bean Brownies.

brushrunner
What is this? Is it sweet...is it just baked black beans?

Old 09-15-2010, 05:55 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,407,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
What is this? Is it sweet...is it just baked black beans?

Very Good!

Low Fat Vegan Black Bean Brownies | HappyHerbivore.com

brushrunner

Old 09-25-2010, 10:01 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,376,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepymiles View Post
My new favorite snack is oven-roasted chickpeas. Add some seasoning (I like cumin, garlic powder, and a little bit of cayenne pepper) and roast for 45 minutes or so at 425. They taste just like corn-nuts but are all protein.
Do you use canned chickpeas?

Old 09-26-2010, 07:12 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,620,678 times
My "go to" free food this summer has been watermelon. I cut it in cubes in a bowl and leave it in the fridge and snack whenever. But reading this thread, maybe I assumed wrong,(that all the water makes it a free food, like celery). Am I wrong about this? Would you limit watermelon as you would other fruits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss