Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:58 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,752 times

Advertisements

I know this is going to sound crazy but is it possible for someone not to be able to lose weight? I have had 3 kids all c-sections and have gained about 40-45 pounds with each pregnancy. I had my third child almost 11 months ago and I have lost the 40 pounds that I had gained as of right now.
Problem is the scale will not budge anymore? I've had my thyroid tested and it is normal. I have no idea what is going on with me. I am on a medication called pristiq.
I would like to lose about 20 more pounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,629 times
According to Einstein, no... it's not possible. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. If you're using more energy than you're consuming, your body has resorted to turning some of your mass into energy. Dependent on how far you are from the Earth's core, that mass conversion will result in a certain amount of lost weight.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:21 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Yes its possible as long as your goal is realistic. Your body is just probably on pause because it lost so much already or you are now eating for your weight. You are lucky, some people pause every 10 lbs. You lost so much so your calorie needs are very different. Adjust accordingly.

EX:
5'6'', 120lbs BMR = 1433 Calories
5'6'', 160lbs BMR = 1615 Calories

Old 09-22-2010, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. I lost the 40 lbs without even trying and now when I am trying I can't lose anymore weight? Am I a freak of nature or something

Old 09-22-2010, 01:05 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,064,746 times
Two questions for you...are you nursing or were you? If so, when did you stop?

Are you on the pill and if yes, when did you start?

Old 09-22-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Two questions for you...are you nursing or were you? If so, when did you stop?

Are you on the pill and if yes, when did you start?

I breastfed for about 6 months but I pumped and I didn't have much of a milk supply. I stopped about 5 months ago. No I am not on the pill.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:18 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
What type of exercise plan are you on?
How often are you working out?
What is your normal daily routine?

Old 09-23-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
What type of exercise plan are you on?
How often are you working out?
What is your normal daily routine?

I was doing the 30 day shred and then stopped. I don't exercise regularly. I know I should but I am so tired from dealing with the 3 kids and so sleep deprived. Anyways, it is possible to lose weight without exercise apparently but its not working for me. Any more suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-23-2010, 12:25 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,064,746 times
I was in a similar situation to yours after my 4th baby. I had gained about 40lbs with that pregnancy and lost all of it in 5 weeks.

The next 40lbs came off easily over the next 7 months with diet alone. I was a gestational diabetic and just continued on the plan I was on while pregnant, still not exercising much.

After 80lbs I hit a plateau and could not lose anymore weight. I had also stopped nursing so I knew I had to adjust my eating and did that. Still, no results. Then it hit me that my metabolism was probably much better while nursing so I knew I could not make excuses anymore.

You need to exercise. I did and went on to lose another 20lbs over the next 3 months. At that time I had 4 kids ages 6, 5, 2.5 and 8 months old so I know how hard it is to find the time. My baby was not sleeping through the night and I was up late at night trying to catch up on all the househhold chores I could not get done in the day.

I'll say this too...I am NOT a morning person but I would get up with my husband and get myself moving (usually a walk, sometimes the elliptical). I added 15 - 20 minutes of weights in the daytime, whenver I could squeeze them in. Most of the times it was interrupted so I could wipe a butt, feed a mouth, fix a boo-boo...etc but I still made sure I accomplished my weight routine sometime during the day.

When my husband travelled (which happened a LOT) I would jump rope instead of going for a walk or just do weights in the morning before all the kids were up.

It sounds exhausting but I honestly had more energy during the day, even though I was getting up earlier.

Try adding even 20-30 minutes of some form of movement in a day to start...enough to get your heartrate up and produce a good sweat. That may help jump start your weightloss again. I know for me, once I start seeing a change in the way my clothes fit and a change on the scale, it motivates me even more.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:48 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,710,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I was doing the 30 day shred and then stopped. I don't exercise regularly. I know I should but I am so tired from dealing with the 3 kids and so sleep deprived. Anyways, it is possible to lose weight without exercise apparently but its not working for me. Any more suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks
Because it's not possible, almost. The best approach is a controlled diet and regular exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss