Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 08:12 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times

Advertisements

If this is the appropriate place for WW info in general, I have a question.
I have been on it now for 5 weeks and have not lost any weight, to speak of. At this rate, I see no point in renewing my membership.
There have been a few weeks when we've had company, so a few cocktails and a few restaurant meals have contributed, but I still have been pretty scrupulous at staying within my points.
Now, I do not allow myself to use any weekly points at all, and I still have not lost more than 3 pounds in 5 weeks.
I have always lost weight on other plans (Nutrasystem and Jenny Craig) but their food is so expensive that I wanted to go with WW.
It is very frustrating that I eat only healthy foods (no snacks, no desserts, no convenience foods) and have cut portion sizes way down, yet I still get no results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 09:38 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have been on it now for 5 weeks and have not lost any weight, to speak of. At this rate, I see no point in renewing my membership.
There have been a few weeks when we've had company, so a few cocktails and a few restaurant meals have contributed, but I still have been pretty scrupulous at staying within my points.
Now, I do not allow myself to use any weekly points at all, and I still have not lost more than 3 pounds in 5 weeks.
I have always lost weight on other plans (Nutrasystem and Jenny Craig) but their food is so expensive that I wanted to go with WW.
It is very frustrating that I eat only healthy foods (no snacks, no desserts, no convenience foods) and have cut portion sizes way down, yet I still get no results.
After 5 weeks you should have lost something. You may want to check with your Dr. to see if you have any medical issues that would prevent you from losing weight. My guess is you are still consuming too many calories. With WW you have to be spot on. You can of course have cocktails and eat out but you must account for it. Cocktails are calorie laden as are restaurant meals.
For me when I was on WW I made the commitment to stay away from all foods that could derail me. It was tough at first because I drink wine almost every night and my husband and I dine out at least 5 times a month.
And I was 48 and I was losing weight at a snail pace. I lost 40 lbs in six months. I have kept it off for 6 years. I eat out all the time and I am back to drinking my wine. I just watch my calories and I work out a lot.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:02 AM

I wonder if I should reduce my points? My evil twin thinks maybe Weight Watchers wants to string me along for the fees, by making my points too high?

Old 05-12-2014, 08:32 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Quote:
I wonder if I should reduce my points? My evil twin thinks maybe Weight Watchers wants to string me along for the fees, by making my points too high?
I do not think so, but I try and stick with daily points and when I exercise I do not deduct. I have only used those 'extra' points when I was going to a party or out to eat, or a holiday. I think those extra weekly points make it much harder to lose weight if you use them all the time.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:45 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Quote:
5 weeks.

Company
"A few" cocktails
"a few" restaurant meals

What was in those cocktails? What constitutes "a few?" How many calories were they, how much sugar were they?
What items were in each of those restaurant meals? If it was a salad, entree, side, what kind of dressing was on the salad? How was the entree prepared? What kind of sauce was on the side, and how was -it- prepared? How many calories was each meal, and what constitutes "a few?"

Also, you -have- lost weight, you said so yourself. You lost no more than 3 pounds. So - you lost 3 pounds in 5 weeks.

A few cocktails plus a few restaurant meals could very well equal zero change in each week that you consumed these things. So let's say 3 out of 5 weeks - which is the minimum count to constitute "a few" you consumed cocktails and restaurant meals.

This leaves you with only two weeks of actually counting your points *religiously* and measuring your progress based *strictly* on the WW plan.

So that'd be 3 pounds lost in 2 weeks, not 5 weeks. That averages to 1.5 pounds per week that you actually adhered strictly to the plan.

That's not bad at all really.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
5 weeks.

Company
"A few" cocktails
"a few" restaurant meals

What was in those cocktails? What constitutes "a few?" How many calories were they, how much sugar were they?
What items were in each of those restaurant meals? If it was a salad, entree, side, what kind of dressing was on the salad? How was the entree prepared? What kind of sauce was on the side, and how was -it- prepared? How many calories was each meal, and what constitutes "a few?"

Also, you -have- lost weight, you said so yourself. You lost no more than 3 pounds. So - you lost 3 pounds in 5 weeks.

A few cocktails plus a few restaurant meals could very well equal zero change in each week that you consumed these things. So let's say 3 out of 5 weeks - which is the minimum count to constitute "a few" you consumed cocktails and restaurant meals.

This leaves you with only two weeks of actually counting your points *religiously* and measuring your progress based *strictly* on the WW plan.

So that'd be 3 pounds lost in 2 weeks, not 5 weeks. That averages to 1.5 pounds per week that you actually adhered strictly to the plan.

That's not bad at all really.
Believe me, I know all the pitfalls, and am more likely to give something more points than not enough. I think I'm having more trouble than average because I'm such a careful eater. If I started the plan eating high calorie foods, it would be easy to cut those out, but I already do not eat any of the "pitfall" foods.
Anyway, Thursday is my weigh in day, and I'm hoping for a good outcome this week.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:58 PM

There's also the issue of how much weight you need to lose. There's definitely a bell curve when it comes to quantity. Someone who only needs to lose one or two pounds, wouldn't find it hard to do within a week or two, tops. Someone who needs to lose 100 pounds, will also not find it difficult to lose one or two pounds within a week or two, given only a few very small changes.

But if you need to lose 15-30 pounds, you might find it more difficult. Or you might need to make more significant changes than if you needed to lose a whole lot more.

Someone who is consuming 3000 calories per day - could lose some weight quickly by simply replacing their sugar-laden soda with water. That one single change could make that much of a difference, at least at first.

But if you're already only consuming 1800 calories per day, and you're only drinking 1-2 sodas per day, then switching out for water isn't going to show that much of a change, in the same amount of time.

Are you exercising? I mean above and beyond "yes I'm a kindergarten teacher I'm running around with my kids all day" or "I work retail, I'm on my feet all day." I mean actual intentional exercise, including some manner of cardio, and some manner of strength training.

If you're walking a mile a day as your #1 form of exercise, try doing a short sprint, then walk, then sprint some more, then walk some more. Get yourself sweating and breathing heavy by the time you're done with your mile. If you're not walking, start walking! If you're already running every day, turn up the speed to the sprint for some of it. If you do 10 pushups every day, work toward 20. If you do 40 stomach crunches, work your way up to 100. If you don't do any weight lifting at all, start slow, with unopened cans of stuff. If these things sound boring, buy a hoola hoop (one of my favorite exercises).

In fact, if you can hoola hoop successfully for a half hour, you'll be burning around 400 calories, and working on every single muscle in your body during that half-hour - including your jaw, the muscles around your eyes, your neck, shoulders, back, butt, even the muscles in your toes and fingers.

This will help you tighten what you *do* have, and make it look - and feel - smaller. That way, even if you're not losing weight, you're still dropping inches. This can get you on the right track, and make you feel better about yourself physically and mentally.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,715 times
Default Help

I have just read that you have found your booklets is there anyway you can send me copies I would be most grateful.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:13 AM

18,033 posts, read 27,479,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonals View Post
Anon Chick...Your reply seems a little condencending, but giving you the benefit of a doubt. I'm not trying to get something for nothing as you seem to assume. I used to have this booklet. It's not and never was available for purchase. It was a booklet that came with a paid membership, which is how I recieved it in the first place. It is no longer offered by the company that used it. But, thaanks so much for adding to my most wonderful day with your "oh so helpful" attitude.
Get over yourself. You're our first 3 hit wonder in here. Since you, there have been a couple more one hit wonders.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannymcbay View Post
I have just read that you have found your booklets is there anyway you can send me copies I would be most grateful.
I Fedexed them to you, COD. Only $479.99, and gave you a special "awesome customer" discount on the shipping. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss