Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times

Advertisements

Wasn't sure where to post this one, but anyone else follow or try to follow the "Eat Right for Your (blood) Type" diet? I'm a type A and finding it very restrictive. Wondering if anyone here has significantly benefitted by this way of eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
I think it is a crock of doo doo with absolutely zero scientific basis.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
I bought the book years ago just to read what it was all about. Grannynancy is absolutely correct in her post above.

Its a bunch of baloney.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I bought the book years ago just to read what it was all about. Grannynancy is absolutely correct in her post above.

Its a bunch of baloney.
Hate to jump on the bandwagon, but it's witchcraft.

I wonder if there is any information to substantiate that people with type O blood are more likely to be mesomorphic in build, though? That was interesting to me.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:06 AM

There is definitely information that different blood types have different general (as a population) disease resistances.

The reference though was a book on blood bank immunology and I recall it discussed the relative resistance of O types to malaria and A types to bubonic plague. There is most certainly demographic variation in blood types and many more surface antigens than just the basic ABO

This article from a respected source alludes to it but is not the hardcopy source I remember reading
The ABO blood group - Blood Groups and Red Cell Antigens - NCBI Bookshelf

Anyway - how the Eat for your type author (I read the book) made his cognitive leap seems to be creating a universe of strange stuff out of some correlation data.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:21 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
There is definitely information that different blood types have different general (as a population) disease resistances.

The reference though was a book on blood bank immunology and I recall it discussed the relative resistance of O types to malaria and A types to bubonic plague. There is most certainly demographic variation in blood types and many more surface antigens than just the basic ABO

This article from a respected source alludes to it but is not the hardcopy source I remember reading
The ABO blood group - Blood Groups and Red Cell Antigens - NCBI Bookshelf

Anyway - how the Eat for your type author (I read the book) made his cognitive leap seems to be creating a universe of strange stuff out of some correlation data.
Good to know I won't get malaria! At least something positive will come of it.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:59 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times
Okay, so far, folks here not going for it. Anyone following the diet???? I'm trying it. It's interesting that the vegies I'm supposed to avoid are the ones that always bothered me anyhow. I'm supposed to avoid meat (never craved it) but fish is okay (can't live without sushi and feel fantastic after eating it.) Following this diet seems to work for me--could be coincidental.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:09 PM

Well, I am looking at some of the things........
And this is an interesting article.
Book Review: Eat Right For Your Type Hype

As of late I have been avoiding soy because of the chemicals (it is now bred to be resistant to roundup which is sprayed all over it .... ick) and other concerns .......note it as one of the few proteins other than fish that he has listed for type A..............

Anyway I think it has some interesting perspectives........and do realize the article is on the alternative naturopathic slant more than the standard medical establishment that says it is downright silly.........

Old 01-29-2011, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,823 times
I and my family follow Blood Type Diet for about 8 years. Have great experience. Started because of my son health problems: weakened immune system and vulnerable to viruses – therefore often get flu/cold, cough, sore throat and things like that. Being skeptic first tried on myself for about 1.5 year to see the results and was not sure if I could manage it. It turned out more than OK! Now all my family members are faithful followers. Was not easy to convince them at first, though! But as I do all cooking, they had a choice to eat what I prepared or cook themselves. So they eventually agreed. Now they have forgotten many health problems of the past but thank me for that!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:58 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Wasn't sure where to post this one, but anyone else follow or try to follow the "Eat Right for Your (blood) Type" diet? I'm a type A and finding it very restrictive. Wondering if anyone here has significantly benefitted by this way of eating.
Restrictive dieting 70-80% of the time is the best way to manage weight long term. ER4YT is not a crock, I've done it for a decade with good results. You may need a fresh approach though. I've recently been reading about a diet calked Dukan & am switching to that. I will still avoid wheat most of the time as per Type O diet but may add a little dairy & reduce all grains except wheat free bread, 1-2 slices a day.
Really I think Dukan is going to be huge...... Americans must get that a lifelong regime with guidelines & rules is the ONLY way to permanently lose weight. I say this as a 40 year old size zero who plans to stay thin & hot for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss