Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,572,725 times

Advertisements

I started the new year with the resolve to lose weight. I have a Facebook friend who is committed to losing 20 lbs by March 31st. I thought, "I can do that, too." Great, right? Well, everything was okay until last Friday. We had Mexican food (greasy, yummy tacos!) catered at work for a co-worker's birthday. Then on Saturday I went out with my boyfriend to Olive Garden. Even though I ordered the least caloric entree, it was still 500 calories!

When I went to the grocery store on Sunday, I stuck to salad, vegetables, etc. I'm trying to stay away from potato chips of any kind. I'm feeling a little discouraged, though.

How do people diet and still manage to go out to eat?! Most restaurants have dishes that are 1,000+ calories! The Outback, Olive Garden, Cheesecake Factory... I hate to think I can never go to a restaurant again unless I order a house salad and that's it!

I'm trying to move more as well, but my ankles hurt. That's probably due to the way I sit when I'm home (cross-legged with my feet tucked under, which bends my ankles). I have poor circulation, though, and I'm not willing to turn the heat up any higher than 70. My feet are almost always cold! Besides, the rest of my body feels fine; it's just my feet that get cold.

On that note, I have to go to work (I start at 6:30 a.m.!), but thanks in advance to anybody who responds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,753,039 times
Once you decide that you're serious about losing weight, the rest of it will fall into place. The best way to start is to write down every bite you eat and log the calories, fat, protein and fiber. There are lots of websites that will help you do this. Sparkpeople dot com is one of them. As you go through your day, you'll know how many calories you've eaten and how many you can still eat before the day is out. If you want to lose weight, you'll stick to the plan. If you don't, you won't. You don't have to eat house salads for the rest of your life, but you won't be eating any Outback cheese fries, either.

And you have to exercise. "Moving" is a start, but you need to think about getting 45-90 mins. of exercise 5-6 days a week. If you're completely sedentary, start with walking and gradually move to more vigorous cardio exercise and weight training.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 PM

17,478 posts, read 16,660,204 times
Don't get discouraged. You can find something on the menu at most restaurants - just be sure and do the research before you go. And if a meal you want to order contains more calories than you want, go ahead and order it but eat less than the full amount. You do not have to be a plate cleaner.

Ex: Check out the "Energy breakfast" at the Cheesecake Factory.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:40 PM

12,974 posts, read 34,007,332 times
Its just about impossible to get healthy food at any restaurant. My suggestion is to head over to Healthy Wok on Ventura blvd and ask Chi (the owner) to set you up with some really healthy options. Other than Healthy Wok, I dont think you can really eat healthy at most restaurants.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:54 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,017,947 times
When I go out to eat, like at Chili's, TGI Friday's, Cheddars, etc.. I will order a full entree, and eat half of it, save the other half for the next day. Most entree's can range from around 1000-1600 calories. I also have a rule of thumb to eat early (like 11am), so I have all day to burn it off.

But, like Marlow and Lao said, you need to examine how you eat, and start eating healthier. Cheddar fries are out, but there are alot of good healthy options. Consider cooking at home more often. You will find you cook alot healthier than you will get from restaurants.

Ian

Old 01-11-2011, 11:59 PM

12,974 posts, read 34,007,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
When I go out to eat, like at Chili's, TGI Friday's, Cheddars, etc.. I will order a full entree, and eat half of it, save the other half for the next day. Most entree's can range from around 1000-1600 calories.
Heck, the Jack Daniels Burger alone at TGI Fridays is 1500 calories. Add in the fries and drink and you have one meal that is 2000 calories. And THAT is one of the lesser calorie meals from their regular menu.

If someone is serious about watching what they eat, they dont eat out at restaurants.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:31 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,193,048 times
This "eating out with friends" issue is actually a big deal for me.

I never eat out by myself, but I do go out with a bunch of guys every week, and have periodic dinners with old freinds, once a month. And we have an office lunch.

The periodic dinners are no big deal since we usually go to a place that has a lighter option for salads and stuff, so no fat bombs. Though this week I am going out with a friend to Olive Garden (his choice). I usually skip the office dinner, but when I go its just a salad for me. Most sit-down places have salads as options, but go for the more simple salads vs things that are sort of elaborate.

The weekly group event is usually at the Spaghetti Warehouse, so I know what the lower calorie items are there. This week, though, it's 'Smashburger', which is not a good choice for dieters, since there isn't too much on the menu thats low fat or low calorie.

I tend to eat lighter for the day before and the day I go out, say have a very light lunch or omit an item during breakfast, since I know I will be getting more calories when eating out.

The deal eating out seems to avoid dessert and larger portions or sides or drinks other than water or iced tea (unsweentened, please), and keeping the calory count low, which is actually harder to do than you think with eating out.

If you do go out a lot for fast food and more generic chain restuarants there is this book called "Eat This/Not That" that has menu subsitutions. My neice gave it to me for Xmas since she is food-concious, and it seems a good start. This isn't a plug, but it seems a good start for folks who eat out a lot.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:42 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,193,048 times
Quote:
I will order a full entree, and eat half of it, save the other half for the next day. Most entree's can range from around 1000-1600 calories
I've done that, too. I noticed that some of my dinner partners at the Spaghetti Warehouse do this as well.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,508,669 times
Quote:
I tend to eat lighter for the day before and the day I go out, say have a very light lunch or omit an item during breakfast, since I know I will be getting more calories when eating out.
I generally do this, as well. I don't eat out very often, so I consider it a bit of a splurge and plan accordingly. You're not going to gain 20 pounds from one less-than-ideal restaurant meal, but don't use it as an excuse to completely derail your normal healthy eating.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,421,434 times
Sometimes I just order an appetizer that isn't fried and loaded with cheese (I"m lactose intolerant anyways). Other times, I'll have something grilled and opt for fruit as my side or a veggie if I like the veggie choices. The other thing, I can't ever finish my plate when I go out to eat so I always get a box. That give me lunch for the next day (yess!!).

You could also get a bowl of a broth soup that has lots of stuff in it. You'd be surprised how filling a cup/bowl of soup can be and as far as I know, they're not as calorie dense as a main course meal at restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss