Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 09:31 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,985,913 times

Advertisements

I'm a male, 5'10", and weigh about 170 lbs right now. When I was home over the holidays (late December), I was weighing in around 180. So apparently I've lost about 10 lbs in the last few weeks. My goal is to lose another 10 lbs to be at about 160 lbs. I've completely revamped my diet. I've been eating oatmeal for breakfast. At lunch, I change it up from salads to pita bread and hummus with some other fruits and veggies (primarily apples and carrots). I try to eat dinner earlier, around 4pm or 5pm. Usually I eat a protein (fish or chicken) and some veggies, salad, and/or rice. I'm also drinking a lot more water throughout the day.

As far as exercise, I've been biking and running and doing the stairs at work. Last weekend I did a 30 mile bike ride. Last night I did an 8.5 mile run. I've been doing the stairs at lunch every other day (that's about 56 flights).

I've seemed to have plateaued over the last week. I just can't seem to break the 170 mark. I'm wondering if maybe my body is in starvation mode? I've read up a little on this scenario, and apparently your body starts consuming very few calories if it notices that it's not getting much calorie intake. Do you think this is possible? Am I trying to rush this too much? In your experience, what kind of results do you usually see after a week? Two weeks?

I just want to make sure I'm not setting my expectations too high before I become disgruntled over my lack of results.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 04:01 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,712,406 times
Time to mix it up. Add some strength training to what you are doing, I guarantee you, you'll start seeing results again quite quickly. You don't even need to go to a gym, you can start doing things like push-up and squats. I think you should re-post in the E&F forum where you will find men who can give you actually guidance that works.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:18 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,491,249 times
My 2 cents:
Try eating less carbs (<75carbs/day) and more protein and do strength training for a while, and cut the sugar to under 10 grams a day.

Example:
Eat lean Canadian bacon and eggs for B Lean Steak for L and a salad and Salmon for D

Old 01-15-2011, 10:08 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,268,805 times
Instead of eating rice for dinner, eat another vegetable..something high in fiber so you will feel fuller. Also like someone else said, you need to mix up your routine. Your body is getting adjusted to your exercise..try some cardio!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,985,913 times
I have been doing the stairs every other day at work, running and cycling after work, and on some nights, i do sit-ups and/or push-ups. I have also incorporated a lot more veggies in my diet. For proteins, I stick to chicken and fish. Some good news possibly is that I'm down 10 lbs from a few weeks ago when I was on vacation. I'm not sure how accurate the scale was when I was out of town, but I was 180 lbs then, and this morning on my home scale I was down to 169. Now I'm just trying to get down to 160. I think that'd be a good weight for my height (70 inches).

Old 01-17-2011, 05:23 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,280,145 times
Hey OP, here's an excerpt of a post I made earlier today. It may be helpful:

But for someone who is not obese or even really overweight, and is just looking to lose a few of those last pounds, I don't think it is so simple. I read Jillian Michaels' "Making the Cut' and it has really worked wonders for me.

I've never been truly overweight. I was 5'9 and 177lbs beginning of the month, and had basically no definition in my stomach area. I used to work out about 5 days a week. I'd switch between cardio (usually run 3 miles or 1hr on elliptical) and strength training on off days. I was eating clean overall, but no results whatsoever in the definition dept and my weight stayed about the same give or take three pounds. For about a year. I felt like I was more maintaining my physique than getting real results.

Wasn't til I started doing the high intensity circuit training program provided in [Making the Cut], which incorporated cardio, plyometrics, and strength training all into one workout, that I truly noticed results. Now I'm 165lbs and can actually see some abs. I'm working out 4 days a week for 35-45 minutes. I've been doing this program for about two weeks.

As far as diet goes, I try to stick to about 1400-1700 calories a day. I stay away from processed foods and especially processed carbs. I eat every four hours and I do not eat after 8p. I stay away from alcohol usually, and when I do drink I'll have light beer or something clear like vodka-soda. One thing I learned from "Making the Cut" is that drinking alcohol causes your body to produce estrogen, which in turn promotes stomach fat (i.e. beer belly) which as a guy, you definitely don't want.

Either way, for me at least, my diet hasn't changed. I had to tweak my exercise regimen to get results. However, everyone is different.

One thing I will add is that her circuit training programs will kick your a$$. She incorporates a lot of push-up and squat variations and adds in a few combination exercises, like a static lunge with lateral shoulder raise. I came close to puking several times (which would not have been good at the gym). There were a few circuits I was not able to complete. This was without someone there to push me. I liked it because it's the only book I've found that is made for someone who is already in shape but is looking to get to the next level. I found I was able to break my plateau and get to a whole other level of fitness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss