Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:57 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,905 times

Advertisements

I've stayed away from this forum for one reason, I didn't want to admit I needed to lose weight. Of course I knew it, but didn't want to admit it. Well, I had a physical today and the dr. told me I have 30 BMI and need to lose 65 lbs to be healthy. I agree.

Besides telling me to eat right and exercise can anyone give me ideas on how to lose this weight? I have two young kids and my wife and I work full time so getting to a gym is not a possibility, plus we don't have the finances for it. I do have an elliptical here at home. I want to get back into yoga, but had back surgery 2 months ago, so have to be careful. Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 08:42 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,239 times
The eliptical is a great start! I know gym memberships are getting expensive, for the most part, and actually getting there can sometimes be next to impossible but you still have options.......of course you know you need to eat right......keep track of your DCI and remember that in order to loose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in. For fast results I would recomend cutting carbs, even if it's just for a month....work out on that eliptical and if you have access to free weights, or if you can pick some up (you can get them cheap at walmart or target even) that would help. Get excited about eating healthy and being healthy! That's the best way to do it.....sounds like your looking for more of a lifestyle change than a diet plan....I love this site for healthy meals.....
WHFoods: The World's Healthiest Foods
you can click on any food item for specifics, calories....and meal ideas....pretty much does all the time consuming work for you

best of luck to you!!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:54 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,624 times
Default I hear you...

I started at Christmas time with a 30 BMI, and just last week (8 months later) officially weighed in with a 24 BMI I am no longer obese or overweight - I am now NORMAL!

I can't do much physical activity due to back problems - and finances are a huge concern for me...but get a stability ball at Walmart for $10 bucks and some of the elastic bands for about $7. That is ALL I use for physical activity.

I just posted today my blog which gives a few hints on how I lost 52 lbs to date - and now have less than 40 to go to reach my ultimate goal. Take a read, and hope it helps.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:29 PM

36 posts, read 149,429 times
Cut out processed foods and start walking. You may have a busy day, but try and figure out how you can get a couple miles worth of walking in a day. I walk to the post office and the grocery store daily, and it all helps.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:50 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Watch Craigslist and look for a good used treadmill. Ellipticals are great, but if you're not used to exercising it may be tough to make yourself use it everyday. Nothing is as easy as walking.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,495,169 times
I've lost over 50 lbs, so I know how it daunting it is in the start of your journey.

Some (possibly) helpful hints that have worked for me:

1. Don't think of it as a diet. I hate that word "diet". It has such a negative emotional context of a life of deprivation. A better phrase, "nutrition management".

2. Get moving. If your back is an issue, try something as simple as walking. But be sure to get good, well padded sneakers. And keep moving--consistently.

3. Portion control. Know what constitutes a portion. Read the labels on everything. I try to avoid items with high fructose corn syrup.

4. Nutrition balance. Your body needs a little bit of everything. Yes, this even means carbs (ie whole grain) and fats (ie monosaturated like olive oil). The key is #3 again--portion control. While fruit is tasty, and seemingly healthy, it also has a lot of sugar (carbohydrates) in it.

5. Good nutrition info can be found at diabetes.org. You don't have to be diabetic to follow the diabetes meal plan. It's a very healthy way to live.

Good luck. If I did it (along with many others on CD), you can too!!!

Old 08-16-2008, 08:50 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
I would talk to your doc before exercising at all because of your back. The cycle may put a strain on it that its not ready for. I dont know if your walking/standing time is limited either. (sometimes that can be with back issues)

google "spark diet"

It will set you up on a plan, diet,exercise (based on what you can do and your existing equipment- yes none is an option). It even has food suggestions which I think is a huge helper when trying to figure out what to eat.

Make a take-out card - list all your take-out meals with calories. Then you know what you can go for if you are out and about or on the go without blowing your diet.

With your higher BMI you most likely will lose on diet alone.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:57 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
I started at Christmas time with a 30 BMI, and just last week (8 months later) officially weighed in with a 24 BMI I am no longer obese or overweight - I am now NORMAL!

I can't do much physical activity due to back problems - and finances are a huge concern for me...but get a stability ball at Walmart for $10 bucks and some of the elastic bands for about $7. That is ALL I use for physical activity.

I just posted today my blog which gives a few hints on how I lost 52 lbs to date - and now have less than 40 to go to reach my ultimate goal. Take a read, and hope it helps.

NH2NCMOM......I read your blog and what great info you posted and also inspiring......

6/3

Old 08-16-2008, 10:44 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
NH2NCMOM......I read your blog and what great info you posted and also inspiring......

6/3
Thanks so much - it really all starts with being positive and finding what works best for you. I read so much about "diets" (as a pp said hate that word) and talked to many people, and watched a bunch of informative shows and was honest with myself on what would be something I could do or would want to do consistently. Once I got started, then I was able to do a few more things I couldn't before (like no longer drinking soda). So I took a bunch of things from all these sources and made my own special "change of living" plan. I have had many people ask me how I did it to this point, and said it sounds like something they could do. So thought I'd share. Again if you have any questions - feel free - I'll do my best to help!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Hi, Hoosier!

Two words~~ Weight Watchers!
I am beginning to sound like a broken record (or a commercial for Weight Watchers) but I really think they have a good, workable, healthy program. It provides a plan and accountability each week which is helpful. You did say finances were an issue. So I will mention it would cost about $40.00 a month. But well worth it IMO.
Wishing you success in this endeavor! I know. It ain't easy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss