Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 11:28 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am finally ready to really begin my New Year Resolution.

I had a very stressful two years and for the first time in mt life, I am thich around the middle.

I believe that too many carbs do not agree with me and I stick to high protein low carb veggie foods.

If I want to increase my metabolism, how much and what sort of exercise do you recommend

I am a big believer in Journaling as you lose weight, Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 09:45 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,484,958 times
Personally, for ME, veggies have too many carbs and sugar...I was a vegetarian but now I am doing low carb and lean meats. I still eats a few veggies but I check the carb and sugar content beforehand.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:14 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,684,353 times
Very common to become fat as a vegetarian, because the most interesting way to eat as one is to rely on simple carbs and starchy veggies. You probably aren't getting enough protein - I'd suggest you eat beans everyday. and stay away from that fakin' bacon type stuff, it's poison. (Traditional soy foods, like tofu and tempeh, are excellent though.)

Strength training is a must, but again you need to boost your protein levels or you will fail. That is your best bet to boost your metabolism. You can working with weights, or resistance bands, and there are plenty of things you can do just using your body for starters. Squats, chin ups (negatives since you probably aren't strong enough yet), supermans, push ups... just a few things off the top of my head.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:04 PM

610 posts, read 1,296,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Hello everyone! I am finally ready to really begin my New Year Resolution.

I had a very stressful two years and for the first time in mt life, I am thich around the middle.

I believe that too many carbs do not agree with me and I stick to high protein low carb veggie foods.

If I want to increase my metabolism, how much and what sort of exercise do you recommend

I am a big believer in Journaling as you lose weight, Anyone else?
RUN FOREST, RUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!
Good luck.

How much? you want to keep on going for about an hour.
This can start as a fairly slow jogging pace and then you gradually increase the tempo over a few weeks.
After 4-6 weeks you switch it up to HIIT. This means doing short burst of going 100% for 20~seconds or so and then 20 seconds of "rest"(walking) and then 100% again etc. continue this for 4-6 weeks while increasing the lengh of both resting and full 100%.
By this time you should've lost about 10 lbs if you eat right.
Now you go back to the longer stretches of less intense running, but you will also throw in bits of HIIT. During this step your HIIT should take up about 30% of your workout session. do this for 4-6 weeks.
By the 12th-18th week you should have lost a minimum of 15 lbs if you've eaten right etc

FAQ:

How often?

Start by working out 3 times the first 12 days, then 4 times the following 12 days and so on until you work out 6 times for every 12, this means 1 days of rest in between every session. You may still take walks and not count them as working out.

How long should a session be?

About 60 minutes.

Any tricks?

-Go hard or go home, it takes hard work to reach good goals. The only shortcuts are few and they won't cut you much, be tougher than your obstacles, that's how the game is played.
-Doing your workouts in the morning before breakfast but with a knifes edge of sugar (2-5 grams) before the session will optimize fatburning.(tricks your metabolism to think it's getting plenty of juicy carbs, which makes the body burn more in an earlier stage of your workout)
-Green tea, chili and calcium have positive(yet very small) effects on metabolism.

So what is important to think about?

1. Get enough protein.
2. Get enough micronutrients. This means vitamins, minerals, omega 3. The body doesn't work the same way without these. See them as the catalysts for your success.
3. Push your self to the limit during HIIT. going 100% rather than 95% is ESSENTIAL for the effects of HIIT.

Good luck

Last edited by sportsgeek20; 01-19-2011 at 03:25 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 03:03 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,289,003 times
If you have blood type O you will never lose weight without animal protein. I was a chubby began back in the day, have been svelte for many years since adding animal protein.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,410,577 times
One word: broccoli

Fills you up, tastes great, hardly any calories, tons of nutrients, and most of the carbs are fiber. You also need to find protein and are probably going to have to work out more. The vegetarian thing definitely makes weight loss more difficult, but I'm sure it can be done. I likes my blood every now and then, though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss