Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:48 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,450,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Some people believe you'll eventually gain weight no matter what you do & may secretly resent your discipline. So no, having a "support group" in order to lose weight is generally a bad idea....
Of course you won't gain weight if you stay on a restrictive diet forever and obsess over every gram of carbs; but I pity anyone who lives like this, and certainly wouldn't resent their "discipline".

I don't see being forever on a diet as discipline, I rather see it as a mental health problem/obsession.

Ideally, people eat normal, healthy, balanced, non-processed meals as a matter of habit, stay active and don'/t think twice about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 02:57 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,282,148 times
I think changing your weight is a entire lifestyle choice and change.

It takes a lot of effort not just because of the willpower not to eat certain things, but rather will power to stick to a plan and do what it asks.

Meaning, having to go to the store after work, coming up with a meal plan, eating then working out.

For me, and possibly for a lot of people motivation in this area is really difficult. I know it is for me.

I've been 185 for a while and should be about 165, but I can't seem to stick to anything.

I was working out, but not eating right. Then I eat right, but don't work out.

It's tough!

Old 02-23-2011, 03:08 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,290,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Of course you won't gain weight if you stay on a restrictive diet forever and obsess over every gram of carbs; but I pity anyone who lives like this, and certainly wouldn't resent their "discipline".

I don't see being forever on a diet as discipline, I rather see it as a mental health problem/obsession.

Ideally, people eat normal, healthy, balanced, non-processed meals as a matter of habit, stay active and don'/t think twice about it.
It's not about obsessing over grams of carbs, it's about *awareness*, something that most dieters lack. I have maintained a strong awareness of what works for me and what doesn't. I'm not on a diet... but I do follow a *regime* with guidelines and I always will. I will maintain my weight whatever it takes. It's really an attitude more than anything.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,455,980 times
Your list doesn't emphasize working out much.

Losing weight is easily down to the science "calories in, calories out." If you take in more than you burn, you will not lose weight. Your goal is to really push yourself beyond your limits when you are at the gym. This why personal trainers on average get people to lose weight more than people doing it by themselves. You know those limits and if you are cheating yourself. It is also about a balance of cardio and weight training. Not just one or the other.

As for nutrition, I am a firm believer in your #1 but I think the rest don't really apply. If you deprive yourself of something you want, you will eventually cheat thus spirally you back into weight gain. Thus, eat what you want but eat in moderation. Lastly, Diet is a taboo word.

For those eating 5+ small meals, how do you make the time to do that with all that might be going on in your life (i.e. work, family, etc)?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,415,438 times
Depends on your situation. With me, it's easy because it's just the wife and I in the house. I eat whenever I feel like it and there are no meals. I'm sure it would be more difficult with young kids or a more traditional young family.
See, getting old does have a couple perks..

Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 AM

889 posts, read 2,715,059 times
Congratulations. I like your tips. Your menu at the bottom made me hungry (but for healthy stuff.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss