Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:03 PM

304 posts, read 1,326,449 times

Advertisements

I have tried and tried all the "healthy" ways to lose weight since putting on 40 something pounds when taking antidepressants. I have always eaten healthy and couldn't understand why people kept telling me eat less exercise more, when according to all the calculators I was eating way too little (just natural apetite not trying to diet).

I had started this low carb thing a few times, but with no real conviction, would quit easily. Now I will say I am eating more than ever...and do not miss any high carb foods at all. It is very much like breaking a cycle. As I see myself as an all or nothing person, there was no scaling back on anything, I had to do it cold turkey.

My weight loss has been slower than what I would think (according to Atkins book) but his charts put me in the insulin resistant category (whihc I have already suspected). I do have an appointment at doc's earliest convenience (nearly 2 months from now!!!) to run the test to rule out diabetes (or pre)...but anyway...thought I would share some of my low-carbing secrets with others.

I really don't care to hear from those telling me this is unhealthy....I have heard it all before...but funny thing is I feel better than ever and a fat analysis reading puts me down 3 whole percentage points (from 36.5 to 33.5%), which pretty much is all the weight I have lost so far (7 pounds in 4 weeks).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 04:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol_Stacey View Post

I have tried and tried all the "healthy" ways to lose weight since putting on 40 something pounds

My weight loss has been slower than what I would think......all the weight I have lost so far (7 pounds in 4 weeks)

I really don't care to hear from those telling me this is unhealthy....
So what is it you want to hear? (I don't think seven pounds in four weeks is slow. A delta of 875 calories per day is not easy.)

Sounds like you've tried "to change your eating habits" and tried "to re-wire your brain" and tried "to look at food differently" and tried "to live a different lifestyle", without dieting of course because dieting never works, everyone knows that.

Do you think you can maintain the lifestyle you have now (that is allowing you to lose weight) for the rest of your life?

Old 08-06-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
So what is it you want to hear?

Sounds like you've tried "to change your eating habits" and tried "to re-wire your brain" and tried "to look at food differently" and tried "to live a different lifestyle", without dieting of course because dieting never works, everyone knows that.

Do you think you can maintain the lifestyle you have now (that is allowing you to lose weight) for the rest of your life?
YES! I feel that I am missing nothing at all and actually enjoy not feeling like a bloated cow every time I eat a meal (carbs make me bloat and almost instantly fall asleep).

Old 08-06-2009, 04:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
low eating slows metabolism. stops weight loss. increase metabalism decrease calories.
excercise is a must. depression can cause unconscious eating.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry3911948 View Post
low eating slows metabolism. Stops weight loss. Increase metabalism decrease calories.
Excercise is a must. Depression can cause unconscious eating.

huh???!!!

Old 08-06-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
low eating slows metabolism. stops weight loss. increase metabalism decrease calories.
excercise is a must. depression can cause unconscious eating.
Wouldn't have taken much more effort to write this in Haiku....

So, eat more and lose weight. Got it.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:19 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Good for you! Make sure you follow the atkins plan all the way. The end part of the diet is healthy enough. Those types of pills can do odd things to the body. So many people have that problem. Have you ever heard of the low carb type diet helping depression? If not you should google around for info on it. That would pretty nice if you got two birds with one plate!

If at any time you feel you do not like it. Make sure you wean up your carbs no matter how annoying. South Beach is a nice version of low carb too you may like to check out if for only a read.

Does your doctor that gave you your meds know you are doing this diet? If not tell him/her. They may need to adjust things as you lose or maybe the low carb thing will help your mood.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:29 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
What kind of food do you avoid? What do you eat?

I wouldn't know a carb from a protein if they came up and bit me.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Have you ever heard of the low carb type diet helping depression?
Does the low-carb diet decrease serotonin in the brain and lead to depression? | Psychology Today

A Low Carbohydrate Diet May Cause Low*Mood

Low Carb Diets Bad for Depression? (http://depression.about.com/b/2003/07/24/low-carb-diets-bad-for-depression.htm - broken link)

Nutrition and Weight Loss Answers: Do Low Carb Diets Cause Depression?

Old 08-06-2009, 06:34 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
What kind of food do you avoid? What do you eat?

I wouldn't know a carb from a protein if they came up and bit me.
You don't avoid anything. You just adjust the quanity of it. I suggest to read the book of atkins and south beach before jumping in on it. Too many people follow it the fad way with "I can eat bacon forever" when that is NOT the atkins diet or southbeach.

But basically a carb is sugars and starches. Protien is things like meat, nuts, cheeses. You can google up a list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss