Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:43 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times

Advertisements

Quick recap of me....I was 192 pounds years ago...got down to 142 through lots of exercise and calorie restriction....moved to the pi** poor state of Mississippi....no gyms...very hot....gained weight up to 160...

Okay so I bought a cheesy eliptical, use weights and do other weight bearing exercises at home. Lowered my carbs and am down to 152.8 as of this morning. I still eat pasta and rice etc...just not a staple in my diet. I use the Atkins shakes. They are good. So has anyone had much success with a lower carb diet? Just curious. Thanks!

And MS IS the fattest state! Everywhere you look! And they all smoke and/or chew too! Gross! I hate it here! We are saving to move to Orlando...well nearby anyhow. Can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 06:56 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Your weight gain has nothing to do with geography.

It has more to do with your genes.

People aren't fat because they live in Mississippi; Mississippi has a high obesity index because of the people who live there: poorer people, high percentage of African Americans, and low education levels. Same in Alabama.

Three of the strongest predictors of obesity are %poverty, %uneducated and %African American.
"Also contributing to the state's [Alabama] obesity are simple demographics. For instance, blacks tend to be more obese than other racial groups, and Alabama has a relatively high black population. "
and
"Poorer people also tend to be more obese, and Alabama is a relatively poor state. In Alabama, the obesity rate for people who make less than $15,000 a year is 31 percent; for those earning more than $75,000 a year it falls to 21 percent.
Also, the less educated are more likely to be obese, and Alabamians tend to receive less education than residents elsewhere in the nation. The obesity rate in Alabama is 26 percent for adults with a high school education and 18 percent for college graduates."
from

Huntsville Times: Why are people in Alabama so fat?

Old 06-25-2009, 07:14 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
And MS IS the fattest state! Everywhere you look! And they all smoke and/or chew too! Gross! I hate it here! We are saving to move to Orlando...well nearby anyhow. Can't wait!
Yeah that's true, I lived in MS but the other poster is right, your diet shouldn't be determined by the condition of people around you and/or geography. It's just dredging up more motivation to keep going with your diet and work-out esp. with the kind of food they serve there.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 AM

145 posts, read 412,366 times
really, if you are surrounded by overweight people, shouldnt this be an incentive to stay healthy? I live half the year in TN - at the moment - and really there is nothing like seeing the obsese people to make you want to carry on dieting!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielou View Post
there is nothing like seeing the obsese people to make you want to carry on dieting!
True. Also, if you want to quit drinking, hang out near a liquor store around 515-530 PM on weeknights and watch who goes in there. Worn out, baggy eyes, depressed, etc.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:25 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Quick recap of me....I was 192 pounds years ago...got down to 142 through lots of exercise and calorie restriction....moved to the pi** poor state of Mississippi....no gyms...very hot....gained weight up to 160...

Okay so I bought a cheesy eliptical, use weights and do other weight bearing exercises at home. Lowered my carbs and am down to 152.8 as of this morning. I still eat pasta and rice etc...just not a staple in my diet. I use the Atkins shakes. They are good. So has anyone had much success with a lower carb diet? Just curious. Thanks!

Yes, I'm on a low carb diet right now and it's been working very well for me.

How low are you keeping your carbs? To properly bring on ketosis, you should keep them under 20 or 30g a day for the first couple weeks and then you can increase them slightly after that.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:29 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,804 times
Quote:
I still eat pasta and rice etc...just not a staple in my diet.
Sounds like you may be eluding basic calorie math. Research resource.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:45 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Oh ya'll misuderstood me. I don't blame MS for weight re-gain...There are no gyms here. The fat thing was just an observation. I hate it for other reasons. No jobs. You have to be born and raised here to get a good job in this county. It is a family thing.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:54 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Your weight gain has nothing to do with geography.

It has more to do with your genes.

People aren't fat because they live in Mississippi; Mississippi has a high obesity index because of the people who live there: poorer people, high percentage of African Americans, and low education levels. Same in Alabama.

Three of the strongest predictors of obesity are %poverty, %uneducated and %African American.
"Also contributing to the state's [Alabama] obesity are simple demographics. For instance, blacks tend to be more obese than other racial groups, and Alabama has a relatively high black population. "
and
"Poorer people also tend to be more obese, and Alabama is a relatively poor state. In Alabama, the obesity rate for people who make less than $15,000 a year is 31 percent; for those earning more than $75,000 a year it falls to 21 percent.
Also, the less educated are more likely to be obese, and Alabamians tend to receive less education than residents elsewhere in the nation. The obesity rate in Alabama is 26 percent for adults with a high school education and 18 percent for college graduates."
from

Huntsville Times: Why are people in Alabama so fat?
That has got to be one of the most racist posts I've seen in a while. I can't say whether or not Charles is mean-spirited, but certainly ill-informed. Have you not looked at Anglo- Americans in northern states, or Native- Americans, or hispanics in CA? Hell, Americans EVERYWHERE are largely obese from bad diet and lack of exercise.
I am African-American and have always been slender until I moved to a rural area where I have to drive most of the time. I don't qualify as obese, but stress, hormonal changes, deviations from a healthy diet and relative inactivity due to lifestyle have made me gain pounds.
I did lose 45 pounds using the Atkins diet. I now can regulate my weight by maintaining a modified low carb guideline. Processed, bleached, simplified sugars, starches and grains as in breads, white rice, prepared foods, et al, will encourage our metabolism to pack on fat unless you can successfully burn it off with activity.
A classic example is how fat the poor folk can get from diets of mac & cheese, ramen, and hamburger helper. As soon as we can educate low income Americans about the values of fresh, unadulterated foods AND make them accessible/affordable to the masses , we will obliterate those terrible high rates of heart disease, diabetes, and cancers in our neglected communities.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
That has got to be one of the most racist posts I've seen in a while.
Don't let your emotions get in the way of the facts.

Obesity and African Americans - The Office of Minority Health

Let me google that for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss