Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 04:01 PM

175 posts, read 279,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There's no reason at all to address the OP's post because, as I posted already:

Violetnights: If, by "research" you mean "asking strangers on an internet forum what they think about something" then you might want to revisit your concept of research.

If you mean you are actually researching it - good luck with your studies and I hope you find something that works, SAFELY, and efficiently, for you.
I do medical research for a living . I have researched quality double-blinded, randomized controlled trials on the use of supplements and prescription medication on formal databases like PubMed. While that is helpful, sometimes it is also helpful to search on public forums for others who have used the medication and read about their experiences, results, side effects, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Ask your doctor about metformin.

PCOS is associated with metabolic disturbances, including insulin resistance, and metformin can help with that. Some, but not all, women who take it find it helps with weight loss.

It can also improve fertility, so if you do not want to get pregnant, precautions are in order.
Thank you Suzy for being one of the few helpful posters on this thread. I am on Metformin and it was just increased so hopefully it will yield some weight loss for me.

By the way, I am not the OP, I apologize to the OP if I hijacked this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 4,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars! View Post
i'm not breast feeding its been almost 6 months since i had my child and i have been exercising thats the whole point why i need them.
i know of the risk's and they don't always apply to everyone i've taken them before so i'm sure i'll be fine. all i asked was if anyone knew a doctor to lose weight, i didn't ask for someone to tell me about side affects.

thanks anyways tho
I understand and its always the skinny ,boney ones that have something to say. The doctor's prescribe the medication for a lot of fatty reasons. to help at weight loss for bad fat reasons. Abusing anything can be bad for you..so, if you drink alcohol,smoke,do drugs take prescription drugs..dont hate on someone else seeking legal help...

Old 09-18-2013, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 4,954 times
Your regular physician will prescribe if your weight is causing other problems...gyn dr's usually dont prescribe

Old 01-24-2015, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,109 times
I need major help loosing 35pounds. Its been so hard,I'm 5'11 but My weight is at 190 ,i want to be from 155weight or 160which i was before as for my chlroestrol and sugar and my bmi are all high,.I' heard About phentermine and wanted more information and to where which locations in Chicago Illinois have this at?

Old 01-24-2015, 12:04 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ok85 View Post
I need major help loosing 35pounds. Its been so hard,I'm 5'11 but My weight is at 190 ,i want to be from 155weight or 160which i was before as for my chlroestrol and sugar and my bmi are all high,.I' heard About phentermine and wanted more information and to where which locations in Chicago Illinois have this at?
Forget the phentermine. Ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist. Start walking every day. Work up to at least 30 minutes per day.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:05 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ok85 View Post
Eat less, move more.
Stay away from any kind of drugs that claim weight loss.
Losing weight is not easy and it takes time and commitment. Once you understand that and are ready you will be able to lose weight successfully.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:05 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
My sister's doctor put her on Adipex and she has 40 pounds.

She was on it for 3 months.
Her Primary doctor(yes he is a Dr. not affiliated with a weight loss clinic) has on it for 3 months on,then 2 months off,then back on it for 3 months.

She is not to terribly overweight. She was 270 at 5 ft 4in.

Meanwhile,my doctor does not say anything about my weight(I am 217 at 5ft 7in)
She does not even bring it up.

I applaud those Dr's who truly care about their pts and want to them to succeed to lose weight,even if it means prescribing pills.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:56 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
5'4" and 270 pounds? Assuming she's not a professional sumo wrestler or bodybuilder, that'd make her more or less - 140 pounds overweight. She should weigh less than the amount she's overweight. So she's basically carrying around her chubby twin 24/7.

That's "not to terribly overweight [sic]." That's morbidly obese. Is she getting help to modify her eating habits? People don't get THAT overweight via genetics, or even via steroids to treat illnesses. They get THAT overweight by unhealthy lifestyles.

As for you, at 5'7" and 217, you're not even half as overweight as your sister but you are definitely obese. You'd probably want to lose 50-70 pounds to get within a "healthy range." That's my opinion sight-unseen - again - if you're not a professional bodybuilder, there's little reason for you to be that overweight. Bodybuilders have denser bodies, and square inches of muscle weigh more than square inches of fat so you'd expect 2 people who weigh the same, one being a bodybuilder and the other being a couch potato, to appear very different from each other and have very different health and diet needs.

You and your sister would be doing each other a huge service by working together to combat your combined obesity. Adipex is a bandaid for obesity. It will reduce her appetite - but overeaters don't eat only when they're hungry. If they did, they likely wouldn't be nearly as overweight as they end up. Adipex is one tool, that is intended to be used with other tools - specifically, a healthy diet and productive exercise. If any one part of this combination is missing, the weight loss won't stay lost and the drugs will have been wasted.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:17 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,588,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessij26 View Post
I know of a weightloss center in Dunwoody, Ga that has a program that your looking for just google them. I don't know why everyone is being so mean about how you or I chose to lose weight. I had my last child and its been such a challenage for me as well. I guess I thought everyone was hear to uplift and voice their opinon without hurting feelings or being so mean.
Its not about being mean, its about telling it like it is.

Don in Austin

Old 01-26-2015, 03:49 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
5'4" and 270 pounds? Assuming she's not a professional sumo wrestler or bodybuilder, that'd make her more or less - 140 pounds overweight. She should weigh less than the amount she's overweight. So she's basically carrying around her chubby twin 24/7.

That's "not to terribly overweight [sic]." That's morbidly obese. Is she getting help to modify her eating habits? People don't get THAT overweight via genetics, or even via steroids to treat illnesses. They get THAT overweight by unhealthy lifestyles.
Well,i guess her Doctor prescribed Adipex to kick start the wt loss.
But i thought it was excessive myself that she is on it for 3 months on,and month off,and 3 months on it again.
Her doctor mentioned her wt,and that is when he prescribed it.
She did have labs that indicated she was a Diabetic type 2.

My Doc just does not say anything about my weight.
I guess because my labs are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss