Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 02:52 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
When I hear about food journals, calorie counting, etc I always wonder whether these people have a life and how it is even possible to live with such level of obsession.
Journaling, counting calories, counting points...it's a learning tool.

Most people who need to lose weight have no idea how many calories they are consuming. They have no clue on what a proper portion size is. If they are used to eating 4 cups of pasta at dinner, their belly is going to tell them that they "need" 4 cups of pasta to feel satisfied.

I journaled when I started WW and I definitely had to journal when I had gestationl diabetes. Eventually you learn what is a normal portion and you can eyeball food and determine how many points, calories or carbs are on your plate.

I don't journal anymore. I don't need to do it but in the beginning it DID help me figure out what I should and should not be eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 02:55 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Most adults in civilized countries are *capable* of eating healthy, assuming they have access to healthy foods.
weight watchers appears to have a corporate presence in UK, Ireland and Australia, at least.

obesity seems to be a global issues

BBC NEWS | Health | Obesity: in statistics

their map shows at least 5% obese in every industrialized country for which there is data, except for japan and S korea.

edit: and taiwan

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 02-25-2011 at 03:29 PM..

Old 02-25-2011, 03:15 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
"It is the nasty, processed, preserved food (coupled with the lack of cooks in the home) that has been invading the market over the past half a century. My colleagues' parents were raised by mothers cooking mostly from scratch, at home. "

Ah, I see.

some folks are fighting the War on Corporate Food, and find weight watcher et al a distraction from that.

If we wont go back to the 1940s lifestyle, completely, we deserve to die. I see.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:28 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Journaling, counting calories, counting points...it's a learning tool.

Most people who need to lose weight have no idea how many calories they are consuming. They have no clue on what a proper portion size is. If they are used to eating 4 cups of pasta at dinner, their belly is going to tell them that they "need" 4 cups of pasta to feel satisfied.

I journaled when I started WW and I definitely had to journal when I had gestationl diabetes. Eventually you learn what is a normal portion and you can eyeball food and determine how many points, calories or carbs are on your plate.

I don't journal anymore. I don't need to do it but in the beginning it DID help me figure out what I should and should not be eating.
This ^^^^^

Keeping track of calories, carbs, fat and fiber is a great way to lose weight and make sure you body is getting what it needs. It's not hard and you don't have to obsess. There are many online tools to do it. It can be very eye-opening if you've never done it.

I have always been a "healthy" weight but wanted to lose 10 pounds. I tracked my food for six weeks and lost the 10 pounds. While doing that, I realized that I was eating more carbs and fat than I needed to.

I no longer physically track what I'm eating, but I do keep track in my head and I've kept the 10 pounds off now for 4 months.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:08 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
My answer to this is "whatever!!!!".
You know what I meant, and if you don't - it shows a grave loss of common sense.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:21 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
You know, truthfully, I didnt eat much wheat or dairy in the early 2000s.... really until the last few years, and there is a good reason: yikes how often those foods, even in small amounts, throw the body off. I had a glass of wine with a brownie, feel zonked. It's not just the calories but the allergic reaction I have to both wheat & dairy....... wine is not as bad. A few years ago I drank 15 bottles of wine over a 3-4 month period with dried fruit, chocolate & goat cheese..... wheat has caused me far more problems, for sure. Why diet awareness should never end, ever. If you don't maintain awareness you will never get it.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:56 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,529 times
You know.. at first, I disagreed with Lemon&Lime's assertions about "dieting" for 10 years. But, I now agree with this individiual. As someone who has lost 67lbs in the past year, and with me now being in "maintenance" mode (which, yes, like OhioGirl said, it is FAR harder than losing weight!), I can understand what Lemon&Lime meant. You see, being in Maintenance mode is still being "on a diet" from what you were doing PRIOR to losing the initial weight to begin with.

No, I am not eating at 1400-1500 calories anymore, am now eating at maintenance and doing a zig-zag on the calories. But, prior to me losing the weight, I was eating around 3000 calories a day, and not exercising. So, in essence, I am dieting from where I was at the 3k calories, even though I am eating more than when I was losing the weight.

Further, even though I don't keep a "food journal", I am conscious of what I am consuming, and make adjustments accordingly. I think its always a good thing to do so, and as Marlow pointed out, there are alot of online references to checking on what you are consuming, and it can be an eye opening experience. I think keeping a food journal, or at least understanding what you are eating, and keeping it in mind for your meal consumption is always a good thing.

Ian

Old 02-26-2011, 04:53 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Perhaps the need to do so reflects larger problems that we should focus on solving, instead of validating this ABSOLUTELY obsessive way of dealing with the most natural acts of all: eating.

Or perhaps many people today have too much times on their hands.
Well, I'll never deny that there were reasons that I overate; but, pray tell, whatever shall I do with that extra 5 minutes a day I don't spend journaling? Besides refute fallacious arguments on City-Data, of course ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You already HAVE problems.
Well, I'm not the only one, sweetheart. And I always hated mashed potatoes.

Quote:
My answer to this is "whatever!!!!"
Hey, lookie there! We agree on something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
No, I am not eating at 1400-1500 calories anymore, am now eating at maintenance and doing a zig-zag on the calories. But, prior to me losing the weight, I was eating around 3000 calories a day, and not exercising. So, in essence, I am dieting from where I was at the 3k calories, even though I am eating more than when I was losing the weight.

Further, even though I don't keep a "food journal", I am conscious of what I am consuming, and make adjustments accordingly. I think its always a good thing to do so, and as Marlow pointed out, there are alot of online references to checking on what you are consuming, and it can be an eye opening experience. I think keeping a food journal, or at least understanding what you are eating, and keeping it in mind for your meal consumption is always a good thing.
Bingo. I'm not so sure about what is so danged hard to understand about this. If journaling is one tool that helps me in a daily struggle to keep from regaining even 20 of the 140 pounds I've lost -- and maintained that loss for 8 years -- so be it. It is no skin off anyone else's nose, it takes 5 or 10 minutes out of my day, and it works. End of story.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:55 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
I think journaling sounds helpful. I'm always on my diet so nothing enters my house that isn't diet related.... the year I drank the wine I was at an active job in which I was up moving several hours a day. I probably burned off 3000 calories a week at least. Nowadays I limit myself to about 2 glasses a week because any more than that doesn't make sense to me. I never write anything down, I'm just a serious, hardcore dieter. Am now starting to question the pizza since I do seem to have an allergy to wheat. It's been a great cheat meal the past 3 months but I'm getting bored. Truth is, years of dieting has turned me off to food a little. I think its normal for me though. My sister doesn't eat sweets, since she was a teen. Says they do.nothing for her. What a concept....

Old 02-26-2011, 11:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Everyone is on a diet; some are just living consciously and others are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss