Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:32 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,596,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
My answer to this is "whatever!!!!".
You know what I meant, and if you don't - it shows a grave loss of common sense.

Okay, i have to spell it out. If you look at the class of people in the pre-industrial period who were affluent enough that additional calories were not a signficant impact on their budgets, you find that overweight and obesity were not that uncommon. Most of the change in the 20th century can be explained by rising real incomes, without recourse to "eevil corporate food". Add in changes in work patterns. I am dubious if simply abolishing "corporate food" would restore pre-20th century body patterns, unless we are all going to return to the rest of the pre 20th c lifestyle, including poverty.

If you want to encourage people to use less processed foods, to eat out less, to eat less meat, or whatever- go ahead - I am sure many of the things you advocate for have great benefits. But I think there is no need to attack those for whom tracking is a useful tool, and no benefit from such attacks.

certainly if you ARE looking for societal wide explanations for the increase in obesity, you would do well to look at the international data, which show that increases are happening in many if not most countries. Some of the drivers of that may be reversible - but that those drivers are themselves appearing internationally, may indicate that they reflect deeper social trends, that wont be reversed so easily or so quickly. Meanwhile we as individuals must deal with our own health and well being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 AM

"But I do not have the willpower or even the desire to swear off sweets, pizza, wine, pasta for good. "

I have decided to prioritize wine and (whole wheat) pasta over sweets and pizza. Its also a lot easier for me to stop at one glass of wine, than one slice of pizza, as I have always been a light drinker.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:38 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,297,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"But I do not have the willpower or even the desire to swear off sweets, pizza, wine, pasta for good. "

I have decided to prioritize wine and (whole wheat) pasta over sweets and pizza. Its also a lot easier for me to stop at one glass of wine, than one slice of pizza, as I have always been a light drinker.
I think wheat based carbs are bad news in general if you don't do at least 4 intense cardio workouts a week. I don't currently have a gym membership, that is why I've made such a big deal about it: I've developed a bad habit that isn't costing me but isnt' helping me either. In my own case, sweets and wine have never harmed me as much as wheat and dairy.

I just read article about Rita Wilson's weight loss. She says she was put on a diet of 1200 calories, worked out several days a week and cut most dairy out of her diet. Hmmmm, I'm wondering what her diet will look like now that she's lost 14 pounds. Based on what I've read the most she will likely be able to eat is about 1500 calories a day. Why would her trainer (who actually is Jillian Michaels) tell her to remove all dairy from her diet in order to lose weight then say, ok, now you can have dairy again? I suspect she will never eat that much dairy every again....

Rita Wilson Weight Loss - Rita Wilson Losing Weight Story - Harper's BAZAAR

The fact is, Rita Wilson is on a diet the rest of her life.....

Old 03-02-2011, 05:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,867,481 times
Her trainer didn't tell her to remove all dairy from her diet in order to lose weight. As it says right in the article you linked:
Quote:
She put me on a 1,200-calorie-a-day diet that was primarily grilled fish or chicken, steamed veggies, and big salads for lunch. You know the drill: no sugar. Very little dairy. No alcohol. A lot of exercise.
Very little dairy. That means, she could have some. Not a lot. Not as much as she had previously. But some. So now that she's lost the weight she wanted to lose, she doesn't need to be on a weight-loss diet. She can't return to the eating habits that caused her to gain all that weight, but she no longer needs to lose weight. That means, she can eat more dairy than she did, when she was trying to lose. But not as much as she did, when she was gaining. She can return to eating some of the carbs, and some of the fats, that she wasn't allowed to eat when she was trying to lose. But not as many as when she was gaining.

In simpler terms:

There is a pint of Ben & Jerry's Coffee Toffee Crunch in my freezer. I know that if I eat the whole pint today, it will cause me to gain weight.

I know that if I pretend I don't have it, and never touch it again, I will lose weight.

I know that if I have just a few teaspoons today, and then leave it there for a couple more days, then have a few teaspoons then, and then not for a few days, and so on until the pint is gone, then I will neither gain nor lose weight.

The first, is overeating.
The second, is dieting.
The third, is just sensible eating.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:20 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,297,657 times
Dairy is a well-known weight loss inhibitor. And no, ice cream has nothing to do with it....ice cream is a CARB due to the sheer amount of *sugar* it contains. Jillian Michaels eliminated in fact almost all cheese, yogurt, milk etc & I see no reason why Rita Wilson would go back to dairy after having so much success off it. The Hollywood elite know & practice all the well-kept dieting secrets, for sure.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:08 AM

42,032 posts, read 75,463,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Very little dairy. That means, she could have some. Not a lot. Not as much as she had previously. But some. So now that she's lost the weight she wanted to lose, she doesn't need to be on a weight-loss diet. She can't return to the eating habits that caused her to gain all that weight, but she no longer needs to lose weight. That means, she can eat more dairy than she did, when she was trying to lose. But not as much as she did, when she was gaining. She can return to eating some of the carbs, and some of the fats, that she wasn't allowed to eat when she was trying to lose. But not as many as when she was gaining.
That's called ... a diet!

Old 03-03-2011, 11:40 AM

"I know that if I have just a few teaspoons today, and then leave it there for a couple more days, then have a few teaspoons then, and then not for a few days, and so on until the pint is gone, then I will neither gain nor lose weight.

The first, is overeating.
The second, is dieting.
The third, is just sensible eating"

I know that if I have ben and jerrys in my freezer, its much easier to keep to just a few teaspoons a day and not every day, IF i record how much of it I have eaten, along with other foods.

That is sensible eating, reinforced by tracking.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
I think wheat based carbs are bad news in general if you don't do at least 4 intense cardio workouts a week.

I think whole grain based carbs are an almost essential part of a healthy "diet", and unless you have a wheat or gluten allergy, I don't see whats wrong with wheat.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:55 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,462,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
If they are used to eating 4 cups of pasta at dinner...
All I can say is...Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-04-2011, 01:58 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,462,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"It is the nasty, processed, preserved food (coupled with the lack of cooks in the home) that has been invading the market over the past half a century. My colleagues' parents were raised by mothers cooking mostly from scratch, at home. "

Ah, I see.

some folks are fighting the War on Corporate Food, and find weight watcher et al a distraction from that.

If we wont go back to the 1940s lifestyle, completely, we deserve to die. I see.
Huh?

You're not fighting this war yourself? In the kitchen?...
You think that having someone in the home who cooks regularly equals a quaint, ridiculous and uncalled for return to the 1940's lifestyle - oh, the disgrace???...

If so, I honestly pity you and everyone in your family. I am pretty sure you will respond that you don't need my pity but I will give it to you anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss