Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 02:05 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,467,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I am dubious if simply abolishing "corporate food" would restore pre-20th century body patterns, unless we are all going to return to the rest of the pre 20th c lifestyle, including poverty.
You're so wrong it hurts.

Where I grew up as well as many other parts of the world people had MORE THAN ENOUGH food - but natural food, in its basic form, to be cooked from scratch.
Industrialized, corporate food was simply not available.
People were not fat. Done.

Are you serious when you argue what you argue? Are you even aware of how nasty most of the processed, pre-packaged food you find in this country actually is? Did you find any country on this Earth where THE FAT look so monstrous, except maybe the UK more recently?

Do you really think that THAT kind of monstrosity comes from eating too much good food because one has enough money and is not in deep poverty, in danger of starving?

Oh, Lord, denial and poor judgment are shockingly scary things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
certainly if you ARE looking for societal wide explanations for the increase in obesity, you would do well to look at the international data, which show that increases are happening in many if not most countries.
Yes. For the exact reasons I have brought up. Increased availability of processed food. Faster and faster pace of life, catching up with American ways.
Both adults working (harder and harder) with no one having enough time to cook on a regular basis in the home.

You really don't want to connect the dots, do you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 02:06 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,467,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The first, is overeating.
The second, is dieting.
The third, is just sensible eating.
...and give us our daily common sense...

Old 03-04-2011, 02:19 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,301,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Dairy is a well-known weight loss inhibitor. And no, ice cream has nothing to do with it....ice cream is a CARB due to the sheer amount of *sugar* it contains. Jillian Michaels eliminated in fact almost all cheese, yogurt, milk etc & I see no reason why Rita Wilson would go back to dairy after having so much success off it. The Hollywood elite know & practice all the well-kept dieting secrets, for sure.
Study: More Milk Means More Weight Gain - washingtonpost.com

2 Foods that Could be Making You Gain Weight and Get Sick

Milk Diets and Dairy Weight Loss: Lay it to Rest

10 Foods that Cause Indigestion and Weight Gain | 3FC

Food Intolerances

Weight Loss Myth? Dairy Makes You Fat / Fitness / Weight Loss

Drinking Dairy Causes Obesity

Weight-Loss Ads are Big Dairy’s Latest Way to Trick Consumers

As I've said on this thread, I've followed the Blood Type diet rule which forbids dairy for Os and found it to be very helpful. Dairy is a convenience food, period. It does not promote weight loss and is a metabolic inhibitor for Os. I have noticed this continually over 10+ years.... recently added it back for variety, out it goes as of today.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,891,490 times
You've been on a diet for 10 years. You continue talking about how this or that doesn't promote weight LOSS - not weight MAINTENENCE - so these comments of yours about your own personal diet, combined with your twice-daily reminder to everyone that you've been dieting for 10 years, indicates that you've been trying to lose weight for 10 years.

So - assuming - a minimal success. Call it, 2 pounds per month. Just 1/4 pound per week. That would mean, if you were minimally successful with dieting for the past 10 years, you have lost 240 pounds, in the past 10 years. Not gained any - ANY - because you have been on this weight-loss diet for the whole time.

So either you have lost more than most tall, broad-shouldered adult men weigh, or your dieting has been spectacularly unsuccessful.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:20 PM

This is a great explanation of why the blood type diet is nonsensical, illogical, medically unsound, and potentially dangerous.

Eat right for 4 your Blood Type - another Diet Fad?

Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 PM

Dairy has a funky effect on my body, period. It bloats me up & makes me look 5 lbs heavier. It's an aesthetic thing......I go back & forth with it but generally milk products make me look & feel a way that doesn't work for me. Jenny McCarthy went dairy & wheat free also, looks amazing.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:36 AM

Yeah she looks great for someone who spray-tans, wears a good 2-inch thick mask of makeup on her face, probably has stock in whatever company makes her mascara and false lashes, and has been overprocessing her hair so long that it'd break off in clumps if she didn't keep it all well-glued to her scalp.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:04 PM

Jenny McCarthy is thin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yeah she looks great for someone who spray-tans, wears a good 2-inch thick mask of makeup on her face, probably has stock in whatever company makes her mascara and false lashes, and has been overprocessing her hair so long that it'd break off in clumps if she didn't keep it all well-glued to her scalp.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,129,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
All I can say is...Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shocking I know. But if you've ever gone out to eat, this is the typical serving they pile on your plate. I've measured it...4 CUPS of pasta. That's a whole POUND of pasta.

And there are people that finish the entire plate AND have a large soda, AND bread, AND a salad with croutons and creamy dressing, shredded cheese and bacon bits.

When I was diabetic I started weighing and measuring my food. It was eye opening for me, to realize that I had under or over estimated serving sizes.

We did an exercise where she had all kinds of foods out. I was supposed to put ONE serving size on a plate, then we measured it.

I over-estimated pasta by 1/2 cup, rice by 1/4 cup, veggies were okay (though I've always liked veggies and tend to pile those on), ice cream I over-estimated by 1/4 cup, nuts I over-estimated (I put 10 almonds out..serving size is 6). I over-estimated fruit too...she had a large apple out and I was supposed to cut it in half. I under-estimated beef (which I could never stomach..so I only put 2 small pieces on the plate) and over-estimated chicken (a whole breast).

It was truely shocking how off I was with my estimations on serving size, and when you are diabetic the measurements really need to be accurate.

I'd suggest everyone try that little experiement at home. If you've never measured/weighed your food you may be shocked at what you consider a serving size.

ETA...
Wanted to mention too that I got tired of having so many dirty measuring cups in my sink everyday. You can go to any restaurant supply store and get "portion control" serving spoons. If I'm making pasta, soups, sauces or a large recipe I use the spoons to cook/stir with and then to measure out my portion. Beats having spoons to cook with, spoons to serve with and measuring cups to dole out portions.

Last edited by *Sixy*; 03-06-2011 at 09:04 AM..

Old 03-06-2011, 09:14 AM

We were brought up appreciating "doggie bags." I can count on one hand, in the past 40 of my 49 years of existence as a human being, the times I have finished a sit-down multi-course dinner at a restaurant, without taking at least some portion of it home for the next day's lunch.

Even when I get the lunch-special shrimp with lobster sauce and pork fried rice with wonton soup - I eat 2 of the wontons, around 1/3 of the broth, half of the shrimp and pork, and put the rest away for the next day.

Alfredo dishes? Oh man - I can't imagine shovelling a full restaurant version of "dinner sized" chicken alfredo downy throat in one sitting. Not that, and garlic bread, and salad..no way! One or two slices of bread, not even half the alfredo, and the salad. The rest - leftovers.

I always assumed that was the whole point of having restaurant meals. So you can eat some today, and some more of the same tomorrow. It was like - a bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss