Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,860,492 times

Advertisements

Ice Milk was created to masquerade as ice cream, for people who for whatever reason weren't allowed to have the full-fat effect. Ice milk is a substitute for ice cream. Ice milk and low-fat ice cream doesn't taste as rich as ice cream.

Sugar substitutes are another one - if I want something with sugar in it, I'll get the stuff with sugar in it. I won't substitute with saccharine, or Splenda, or whatever the latest low-calorie substitute for sugar is this month. I don't put substitute "even sweeter, but half the calories!" crap in my coffee. I don't use substitute non-dairy "creamer" for my coffee either. I use real actual whole milk, or half-and-half, or light cream. Because it TASTES better. It feels better on the tongue, it slides better down the throat, and it mixes better with the coffee. It also smells better. Coffee with fake cream in it smells nasty.

Tofutti is a substitute for ice cream. Turkey bacon is a substitute for real bacon. Tofu, in general, is a substitute for..well - nothing really. But people who eat vegitarian meals like to pretend it's a substitute for meat. It's like opening a can of SPAM and calling it a substitute filet mignon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 02:45 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,593,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Ice Milk was created to masquerade as ice cream, for people who for whatever reason weren't allowed to have the full-fat effect. Ice milk is a substitute for ice cream. Ice milk and low-fat ice cream doesn't taste as rich as ice cream.

Sugar substitutes are another one - if I want something with sugar in it, I'll get the stuff with sugar in it. I won't substitute with saccharine, or Splenda, or whatever the latest low-calorie substitute for sugar is this month. I don't put substitute "even sweeter, but half the calories!" crap in my coffee. I don't use substitute non-dairy "creamer" for my coffee either. I use real actual whole milk, or half-and-half, or light cream. Because it TASTES better. It feels better on the tongue, it slides better down the throat, and it mixes better with the coffee. It also smells better. Coffee with fake cream in it smells nasty.

Tofutti is a substitute for ice cream. Turkey bacon is a substitute for real bacon. Tofu, in general, is a substitute for..well - nothing really. But people who eat vegitarian meals like to pretend it's a substitute for meat. It's like opening a can of SPAM and calling it a substitute filet mignon.

ice cream is a substitute for fruit, for people who dont want to enjoy the wonders of fruit, lack air conditioning, and/Or want to get heart attacks.

Ice cream was invented in the late 18th cent. It had good things and bad things. ice milk was invented more recently, its real ice milk, and it serves a purpose. I dont need a rich taste, AFAICT that depends what youre used to.

Indeed, I find coffee just fine with skim milk and sweetener. The difference between good roasts, good coffees, etc is bigger to me than the difference among milks and sweeteners. Oddly, some people drink instant coffee, and put sugar and cream into it.

BTW, I never use non dairy creamer either. Like i said, skim milk is just fine (Ive heard folks say lactose reduced skim is better in coffee than regular skim, but I dont notice the difference). If I am having coffee with a meat meal (rare that I do that) i just dont have any milk or creamer.

Turkey "bacon" is a food that tastes good. So is Tofutti. I dont really care how they originated. Tofu is nutritious, and in chinese cooking, wonderful. It CAN be made into "meat substutes" but thats not what it was originally.

SPAM was a substitute for ham. I dont eat either, so cant really speak to how good that substitution is.

Sugar, btw, is often beet sugar, which is a substitute for cane sugar. Cane sugar is a substitute for honey.

Personally, i dont like unsweetened coffee. I cant tell the difference between sugar and sweetener in coffee, and its a few less empty calories. I have pretty much stopped drinking diet soda - i drink real water or seltzer instead, not sugar water. When I DO feel like a soda, I still enjoy a diet coke. So sue me.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:55 PM

btw let me perfectly clear

IF you are happy with what you are eating, and with all the weight and health impacts of what you are eating, then good for you. I do not mean to come off as preachy.

I am happy to be losing weight - I look better and I feel better. And I am enjoying my food, my drink (looking forward to that Merlot) and my exercise. Believe you me, whenever I use a "low fat" or "non-fat" alternative, I consider the options of using a controlled amount of the full fat version, or skipping that food altogether. WW gives me that choice (despite the encouragement to non fat dairy, in theory you could use only full fat dairy) I could either use a smaller amount, cut back somewhere else, or not lose weight as fast (since I am not using all my weekly points, and not "eating" my activity points, I have slack most weeks). I am comfortable with the choice I am making.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:00 PM

That's what I was saying. Given the option of a few spoonsful of normal fattening ice cream, or a two-scoop bowl of fat-free ice skim milk with chocolate-flavored splenda juice, I'd take the tiny bit of richness to the big glob of nothingness. Or, if I felt that wasn't enough, I'd just not have any at all and eat a carrot.

Like, if suddenly the FDA outlawed salted potato chips and said that unsalted sweet-potato chips were allowed, I'd just do without. I really don't like sweet-potato chips, and I don't make a habit of eating potato chips; it's just a nice treat on occasion.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
That's what I was saying. Given the option of a few spoonsful of normal fattening ice cream, or a two-scoop bowl of fat-free ice skim milk with chocolate-flavored splenda juice, I'd take the tiny bit of richness to the big glob of nothingness. Or, if I felt that wasn't enough, I'd just not have any at all and eat a carrot.

Like, if suddenly the FDA outlawed salted potato chips and said that unsalted sweet-potato chips were allowed, I'd just do without. I really don't like sweet-potato chips, and I don't make a habit of eating potato chips; it's just a nice treat on occasion.

I dont like over salted things mostly.

I never really have two scoop bowls of frozen dessert. I sometimes have like a WW ice whatever sandwich - theyre good. I happen to enjoy toffuti and esp frozen yogurt, but really, I havent much of either since being on WW. I like bagel brunches, and Id rather have a modest shmear of low fat or even non fat cream cheese than a teeny speck of full fat - its mostly about the lox and the bagel anyway, the creem cheese mainly just holds it together.

I have also discovered a love for Cabots 75% reduced fat cheddar - I dont eat that every day either, but its a nice treat.

Oh, and if you havent tried greek non fat yogurt - well its a perfect "substitute" for sour cream. and no, a tea spoon of real sour cream with a banana just doesnt work. Thats pathetic. I eat a cup of the yogurt, and a whole banana, and im in heaven

Old 03-18-2011, 03:18 PM

Oh c'mon you can't convince me that you actually believe a bagel with lox and fat-free cream cheese tastes even CLOSE to being as good as a bagel with lox and either real cream cheese, or its lower-fat cousin Neufchatel. I suppose you reject belly lox too. Sacrelig!

Non-fat yogurt is no substitute for the regular yogurt (which is fairly low fat to begin with). I like yogurt, AS yogurt. Not as a substitute for anything else. And yes I like bananas in the yogurt. I also like sour cream, but not "with" anything, except occasionally on my blintzes and with herring and raw onion. On a plate. I can't imagine how icky pickled herring and onion would taste made with non-fat yogurt instead of full-fat sour cream. Blech.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Oh c'mon you can't convince me that you actually believe a bagel with lox and fat-free cream cheese tastes even CLOSE to being as good as a bagel with lox and either real cream cheese, or its lower-fat cousin Neufchatel. I suppose you reject belly lox too. Sacrelig!.
low fat cream cheese is just as good as full fat, IMO. Non fat however, is noticeably worse than low fat, thats true. The $7 a bottle table wine I drink is noticeably worse than a $40 a bottle Medoc. But I like having the money in my pocket. Some folks would just skip the wine. Some would just skip the dairy shmear. We all make our own choices. I havent had a bagel brunch in a few weeks - if all goes well I will be at goal in a couple of months and will go on mtnce, and at that point I will almost certainly switch back to low fat from non fat, so its not a huge deal.

Quote:
Non-fat yogurt is no substitute for the regular yogurt (which is fairly low fat to begin with). .
have you tried greek yogurt? the taste and texture (even in non fat) are different from regular yogurt.

Quote:
I like yogurt, AS yogurt. Not as a substitute for anything else. .
If i like something, why cant i use it as a substitute for something else I like? Why is "substitute" an evil word?

Quote:
And yes I like bananas in the yogurt. I also like sour cream,.
I also like sour cream. But I hate it when my doc looks at my blood test numbers, and considers taking out a life insurance policy on me.

Quote:
but not "with" anything, except occasionally on my blintzes and with herring and raw onion. On a plate. I can't imagine how icky pickled herring and onion would taste made with non-fat yogurt instead of full-fat sour cream. Blech.
I usually eat herring straight on a cracker - have for years. As for nonfat greek yogurt on blintzes - thanks for that GREAT idea!

OTOH I havent really done blintzes at home since Ive been on WW - too many points in the blintzes!

A cup of nf greek yogurt is only 3 points, and fresh fruit is zero, so NF yog with banana or berries is a 3 point "snack" that is "to die for" Whereas certain other "authentic foods" are literally to die for. No thanks

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 03-21-2011 at 09:23 AM..

Old 03-21-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I also like sour cream, but not "with" anything, except occasionally on my blintzes and with herring and raw onion.
I grew up with bananas and sour cream. Its a deep comfort food for me. In more recent years I tried low fat and non fat sour cream, which are not particularly natural.

I was prepared to not like the NF greek yog with sour cream, but I gave it a try.

It won me over.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I suppose you reject belly lox too. Sacrelig!
too salty, we almost always get nova.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,229 times
Default The best way to lose weight

I think that doing right exercise regularly is the best way to lose weight. You also need discipline on eating foods and for being aware of what kind of food you are eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss