Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2007, 09:16 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Could your best friend make you fat?

Researchers who have studied "networks" of obesity think so: they found that if someone's friend becomes obese, that person's chances of becoming obese increase by more than half.

Your best friend can make you fat: researchers - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 09:20 AM

292 posts, read 993,925 times
I have often wondered about that as I see two people eating enough food for six people. It's good to know there is some research to back it up. I wonder if the same is true for people who stay fit together?

Old 07-29-2007, 09:37 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times
I read this elsewhere the other day and there was a a related video which showed the social-network relationships of obese people to others and to thin people (statistics and data collected from multiple other related studies). Over time thin people who were "near" obese people in the social network themselves gained weight and some became obese. It was really a powerful image to see the time lapse of the circles representing the people and their weight getting larger and soon the obese people were almost like centers of obesity.

I certainly think that eating habits are more than genetic - so this does seem to make sense. I just question what people should do about this knowledge except to pay more attention to their own bodies when they eat, rather than to try to eat as much as someone they are with.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:46 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Default Conversely...

Well, thankfully, this study also found that the converse was true also-if your close friend lost weight, you were significantly more apt to do so too! We laughed about this because recently my husband and I have been attending Weight Watchers. My husband lost about 40 pounds and me about 20. So he encouraged a couple of his best friends to come as well. Both have lost around 40 or 50 themselves now. So it seems to us that this is an example of how we can and do influence our friends positively or negatively.

For whatever reason, this particular linked report did not talk about the positive of influencing your friends to lose weight, but the report I read about it last week in the newspaper did. Apparently, the study showed a strong correlation to the positive as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss