Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:12 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
2 or 3 of my meals are peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. but your 20% is basically the idea. the meals are limited in size. a pb&j is only about 400 calories.

Wow, I love peanut butter.....too bad I think I am allergic to it.....makes me itch when I eat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 05:58 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
There's a difference between eating 5 _meals_ a day, and eating 5 _times_ a day.

Breakfast: oatmeal, raisins, pinch of brown sugar.

Midmorning snack: half a banana

Lunch: lean hamburger with a slice of cheddar, lettuce and tomato slices on whole wheat toast, steamed brocolli on the side

Mid-afternoon snack: the other half of the banana

Dinner: grilled lemon-chicken over baby greens, tomato, red sweet pepper chunks, a tablespoon of crumbled feta cheese

That's only around 1200 calories, eating 5 times a day, low saturated fat, lower carb, high protein, solid fiber and vitamins and minerals, with very little chance of experiencing hunger at all, from morning til bedtime.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,386,345 times
Quote:
2 or 3 of my meals are peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. but your 20% is basically the idea. the meals are limited in size. a pb&j is only about 400 calories.
you sure about that? My PB at home says it's 200 calories per serving and the serving size is only 2 tbsp, which isn't much at all. I know the PB&Js I used to make were probably closer to 1000+ calories.. Reduced fat PB will help a little, but it's still a LOT of calories that could be replaced with something much lower and much more filling. You're also taking in a lot of carbs (bread and jelly) with those two meals alone..

Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
you sure about that? My PB at home says it's 200 calories per serving and the serving size is only 2 tbsp, which isn't much at all. I know the PB&Js I used to make were probably closer to 1000+ calories.. Reduced fat PB will help a little, but it's still a LOT of calories that could be replaced with something much lower and much more filling. You're also taking in a lot of carbs (bread and jelly) with those two meals alone..
i try to keep close to the suggested serving sizes. so 2 tablespoons peanut butter 200, 1 tablespoon jelly 50, 2 slices of white bread 120. so thats 370 with a little extra room if i go over a bit to say 400. its filling, its delicious, there is nothing wrong with the carbs. im not some silly dieter who cries about carbs. a calorie is basically a calorie.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:11 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,386,345 times
More power to you if you can handle that then. I'm a big PB&J fan and go way overboard with it, so I just basically have to avoid it.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
More power to you if you can handle that then. I'm a big PB&J fan and go way overboard with it, so I just basically have to avoid it.
well, one good thing is i make them in the morning and then take them with me to work. so im not giving myself much choice in the matter.

this diet has yielded great results and is more sustainable than other diets i have done. i consume a "meal" every 2-3 hours. im not an average person though, im a beefcake stud muffin. so i am pretty good with the discipline.

8am - 1 cup oats, 2 splenda's, little cinnamon + 1 scoop protein drink
11:30am - 1 peanut butter & jelly sandwich on white bread
1:45 post workout protein drink 1.5 scoops protein, 1 tablespoon cappuccino flavored sugar
3:45 - 1 peanut butter & jelly sandwich on white bread
6:15 - was 8oz grilled chicken with some pasta and tomato sauce, will be 1 peanut butter & jelly sandwich on white bread
8:15 large bowl of cereal (i have capn crunch and chocolate cheerios right now to choose from)

Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There's a difference between eating 5 _meals_ a day, and eating 5 _times_ a day.

Breakfast: oatmeal, raisins, pinch of brown sugar.

Midmorning snack: half a banana

Lunch: lean hamburger with a slice of cheddar, lettuce and tomato slices on whole wheat toast, steamed brocolli on the side

Mid-afternoon snack: the other half of the banana

Dinner: grilled lemon-chicken over baby greens, tomato, red sweet pepper chunks, a tablespoon of crumbled feta cheese

That's only around 1200 calories, eating 5 times a day, low saturated fat, lower carb, high protein, solid fiber and vitamins and minerals, with very little chance of experiencing hunger at all, from morning til bedtime.
All pales in comparison to the true superfoods, organ meats.

Yeah I know....blah blah blah....saturated fat......blah blah blah....will kill you....blah blah blah...is evil, heard that myth a quadrillion times.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
All pales in comparison to the true superfoods, organ meats.

Yeah I know....blah blah blah....saturated fat......blah blah blah....will kill you....blah blah blah...is evil, heard that myth a quadrillion times.
I eat chopped liver and chicken hearts and gizzards. But I don't eat it five times a day, every day, or even once a week. The OP is asking if what he's eating is too much for a snack, and is asking for advice on snacks.

There's nothing wrong with having a few crackers with chopped liver on them every so often. But it isn't a good idea to make it a daily habit.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
well, one good thing is i make them in the morning and then take them with me to work. so im not giving myself much choice in the matter.

this diet has yielded great results and is more sustainable than other diets i have done. i consume a "meal" every 2-3 hours. im not an average person though, im a beefcake stud muffin. so i am pretty good with the discipline.

8am - 1 cup oats, 2 splenda's, little cinnamon + 1 scoop protein drink
11:30am - 1 peanut butter & jelly sandwich on white bread
1:45 post workout protein drink 1.5 scoops protein, 1 tablespoon cappuccino flavored sugar
3:45 - 1 peanut butter & jelly sandwich on white bread
6:15 - was 8oz grilled chicken with some pasta and tomato sauce, will be 1 peanut butter & jelly sandwich on white bread
8:15 large bowl of cereal (i have capn crunch and chocolate cheerios right now to choose from)
Other than the splenda, white bread, and evening cereal, it sounds great. Personally I'd make it sugar, honey-wheat bread, and I wouldn't eat more than a sliver of something or a spoon of something else, after 7pm. But that's because I'm in bed around 10, and it's just too close to bedtime for my digestion to handle.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Other than the splenda, white bread, and evening cereal, it sounds great. Personally I'd make it sugar, honey-wheat bread, and I wouldn't eat more than a sliver of something or a spoon of something else, after 7pm. But that's because I'm in bed around 10, and it's just too close to bedtime for my digestion to handle.
ill add that with breakfast i take 1 tablespoon of whole psyllium husk and another after dinner. so i dont really need to worry about additional fiber intake. i also take a multivitamin, vitamin c, vitamin d3 and some caffeine powder in the morning. i dont think i get much value from the vitamins but it doesnt hurt. i probably wont replace the d3 when it runs out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss