Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:50 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,020,143 times

Advertisements

I have found that the only way for me to lose weight is to eat small amounts of food anytime I eat (also known as grazing). It needs to be nutritious (whole) food (nothing processed). For example, in the morning I might first eat a naval orange or some other fruit. Several pieces of fruit even is not too much. Then a few hours later, I will eat a handful of mixed nuts. Later on I might get an ounce of cheese (your choice) then later perhaps a cup of yogurt. Later on, a small salad with light dressing. Try to stay away from breads and cereal and sugar. Drink lots of ice water and hot tea sweetened with Stevia and a slice of lemon. If you feel suddenly hungry, you can drink a cup of lowfat milk. This is just an example - the variety and order can be moved around. The hardest part (for me) is to exercise at least 30 minutes per day, such as walking or bike-riding. I have a mental battle about getting my exercise in. I don't know why -- I think it is partly just from some issues I have with depression that makes me lazy. But, I was able to lose 20 pounds in the last eight weeks by doing the things I listed (even with a bit of cheating).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 12:54 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,987,336 times
I do know that fasting for a full day works at losing weight, at least it did for me.

I've done it twice in the past few months, and lost approximately 3lbs on each of those fasting days.

My activities on the fasting day did not involve any intense exercise, and I did not feel either hungry or thirsty at all the entire day.

I ate a little extra food the evening before.

Then late on the evening of the fasting day, I had a small bowl of cereal, and that was it for that entire day.

The next day I noticed I dropped 3lbs, and went back to my normal eating schedule.

Those pounds have remained off ever since.

I've also lost additional weight by cutting my daily calories and eating only healthy foods, but the fasting days were the most weight I've seen myself drop in a single day.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:04 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
So it takes awhile before your body goes into "starvation mode"? I've always heard that's what happens when you don't eat. Perhaps that's only after a few days?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:44 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,286,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
So it takes awhile before your body goes into "starvation mode"? I've always heard that's what happens when you don't eat. Perhaps that's only after a few days?

No read Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat. The body can go up to three whole days without food before going in to starvation mode. Intermittent fasting increases growth hormone which along with weight training has a beneficial effect on muscle retention. I have tried modified fasting most of the day on just fruits and vegetables (Warrior Diet) and normal/increased eating followed by a 24 hour fast, either way is very easy to do and really amazing for focus and energy. I can't imagine eating 3 meals a day day in and day out ever again, IF is a practice I will continue the rest of my life.

Ori Hofmekler posted this link on his blog from a nutritionist who says there is no reason to fear hunger:

Dinner with Hilary Swank's nutritionist! - Healthy Living on Shine

Old 07-15-2011, 09:40 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
I am trying the IF route and I actually don't feel hungry at all. I eat all of my 1200 calories in a 4 hour window for example,I eat a meal with 700 cal at 12pm and a 500cal meal at 4pm and I don't eat until 12pm the next day. I think eating that much gives me energy throughout the day versus eating a 300cal meal every three hours. I also eat low carb meals and I lost 4 pounds this week.(first time trying IF)
I know I'd overeat doing the 6 small meals a day route,because I did and it was even harder to stay at 1200 cal.
With IF,it seems to me the more in my stomach at one time,the longer it takes to digest,giving me energy throughout the day.

Last edited by jerseygal4u; 07-15-2011 at 09:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss