Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:00 PM

5,319 posts, read 9,004,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
Whole grain pasta and rice turn to sugar in your mouth before it's even swallowed.

All grains should be eliminated except patmeal which is very low on the glycemic index as are sweet potatoes.

As for drinking "lots" of water...... that's the quickest wy to flush out any benificial nutrients that you may get from your food. BAD IDEA !

Too much fruit can lead to high triglycerides. Eat lots of veggies !
According to this website, fruit is an exception to the sugar causing high triglycerides issue:

Foods That Cause High Triglycerides | LIVESTRONG.COM

Quote:
Fructose is also a naturally occurring sugar in fresh fruit, such as apples. Fresh fruit usually provides the benefit of fiber, which helps slow absorption into the bloodstream, and according to the Alpha Online Nutrition Center, the body has a higher tolerance for sugar that is more slowly absorbed.

This website even recommends eating more fruit to lower triglycerides:

Food to Lower Triglycerides

Quote:
The following foods should be increased:
  • Dark green leafy vegetables and fruits
  • Beverages such as fresh fruit juice, herbal tea, black coffee. Drink lots of water.
  • Fish and lean cuts of such meats as chicken, turkey and veal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 05:57 AM

665 posts, read 1,731,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
According to this website, fruit is an exception to the sugar causing high triglycerides issue:

Foods That Cause High Triglycerides | LIVESTRONG.COM

This website even recommends eating more fruit to lower triglycerides:

Food to Lower Triglycerides
Read the articles again.

The Livestrong article is written by a "Nutritionist" and says that eating fruits is ok because fruits have fibre.

Fruits are VERY high in fructose. Fructose is ONLY proccessed by the liver. Triglycerides are a metabolite of fructose metabolized by the liver. The only fruit that is low in fructose is bananas.

The second link says even less and seems to have been written by the guy who sweeps the floors on the night shift. It is chock full of untruths and myth and shouldn't be considered as science.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:06 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,328,514 times
Fruit juice is really not something you should drink much of due to its high sugar content relative to fiber. Better to eat a piece of fruit. Some though are better than others. A peach has about half the carbs, calories and glycemic load as a banana. I restrict my fruit consumption to stone fruits and berries.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:17 AM

665 posts, read 1,731,688 times
The fibre in fruit will raise HDL and lower LDL

BUT

Too much fructose WILL raise triglycerides.

Triglycerides with low LDL is not as dangerous as high triglycerides with high LDL.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:03 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,297,657 times
It also helps to stick with lower sugar fruits like grapefruit & pears. I've stopped eating apples altogether due to their high sugar content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
The fibre in fruit will raise HDL and lower LDL

BUT

Too much fructose WILL raise triglycerides.

Triglycerides with low LDL is not as dangerous as high triglycerides with high LDL.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:28 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,499,720 times
I came upon my solution by accident while training for a 5k. While I was training I began to consiously htink of myself as a "runner" not just "a guy who runs". A few days after I began training I was at the grocery store debating whether to buy a candy bar. I simply said to myself that good athletes don't pollute their bodies with junk, and that was it. I was pretty surprised. Lately I've rarely been tempted by sugary, carby foods.

Today I had my first sweet thing in two weeks--an oreo milk shake. Didn't like it. I felt heavy and gross. So I can tell you, the craving does diminish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss