Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:03 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,596,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
South Beach is low glycemic.

It involves eliminating all starches in the first phase, than adding some back. Though apparently without actually counting carbs. That seems similar in principle to low carb plans, even if its not actually a carb counting plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 AM

14,576 posts, read 23,136,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
It involves eliminating all starches in the first phase, than adding some back. Though apparently without actually counting carbs. That seems similar in principle to low carb plans, even if its not actually a carb counting plan.
Similar yes, but still with major differences.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Similar yes, but still with major differences.

this source indicates SB is effectively a low carb plan.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:11 PM

279 posts, read 509,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I've never done a low carb diet before and am trying to carb cycle in order to lose the last 10 pounds. This is my first day.

Breakfast: egg white omelette with cheese and mushrooms, turkey bacon

Snacks: serving of sharp cheddar cheese, serving of strawberries (4 medium sized ones cut up)

Lunch: low-sodium turkey, provolone and lettuce in a 100-calorie wrap with 8 net carbs

Then I do cardio on my actual lunch break...

Snack: muscle milkshake (5 grams of carbs), carrots and lightly salted cashews

Dinner: shrimp/chicken kabobs with bell peppers, broccoli and cheese casserol (probably mispelled)

Lifting weights

Another protein shake that I'll make with 2 scoops of whey protein and water before I go to be.

Thoughts? I'm trying to keep it below 50 grams of net carbs.

If your looking to cut 10 lbs I would cut the cheese. You seem to be eating a lot of fats with the cheese and cashews not to mention too much salt. Remember 1 gram of fat = 9 calories. What's important is cals in and cals out. I went from 185 to 166 in 3 months ( Bodyfat from 18 to 12-13 in that time but on my way to 10 percent). My macros are 40 percent protein, 35 carbs and 25 fats while consuming 1800 cals per day with that breakdown I just mentioned. I am a weightlifter and triathlete and I learned that depending on what my goals are I will eat plus/minus 20 percent of my maintenance level.

Here is a very good read

Calculating Calorie Needs and Macronutrients - Bodybuilding.com Forums

good luck.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:54 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,297,657 times
Either fast all day and eat at night or eat normally for a few days and alternate food days with fasting. I'm done with doing low carbs every day, ugh its so time consuming and boring. What you're doing may or may not work for you. To lose more fat & gain muscle look in to The Warrior Diet or Eat Stop Eat. I also personally incorporate blood type principles in to my eating style. If you're an O get rid of all dairy for good.

Intermittent Fasting Eat Stop Eat style to Lose weight, Lose Fat, Increase Growth Hormone and get healthy

My recent research is showing that online anyway low carbs is dead and is in the process of being replaced with intermittent fasting. That is why there is so much bickering on this forum about carbs. The whole movement is crumbling and on its way out. All that mini meal crap totally sucks. I know because I've done it for a decade. It works but IF may be healthier overall. I mean really how healthy is it to come on here and ask us what to eat? That's neurotic.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:52 AM

14,576 posts, read 23,136,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
My recent research is showing that online anyway low carbs is dead and is in the process of being replaced with intermittent fasting.
Hahahahaha...yeah right.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:52 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,328,514 times
Quote:
My recent research is showing that online anyway low carbs is dead and is in the process of being replaced with intermittent fasting. That is why there is so much bickering on this forum about carbs. The whole movement is crumbling and on its way out.
All my research including the recent Harvard School of Public Health study last week makes low carb look pretty good. Do you really want to be on an up and down "if it's Tuesday it must be a high carb day" plan? Too confusing. Anyway I wouldn't want to lose weight any faster than I am right now (3 lbs. a week) so I'll stick with the tried and true.

You sound like you're willing to jump on whatever latest bizarro fad diet comes down the pike. Wonder what that'll be next week.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
My recent research is showing that online anyway low carbs is dead and is in the process of being replaced with intermittent fasting. That is why there is so much bickering on this forum about carbs.
My research indicates that calories in/calories out approaches are still massively popular, whether its people counting calories on their own, or people in organized plans like WW. And at least a few people in other plans are effectively on calories in/calorie out - the restrictions on their diets have directly impacted calorie intake, ketowhatever and other metabolic manipulations aside.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,918,226 times
Low carb does not mean low fat. Fat does not make you fat. I eat nuts, nut butter, almonds, olive oil, fatty fish like salmon, etc daily.

Low carb should be with high fat and high protein to increase satiety.
High carb should be with low fat and high protein.

Fat does not make you fat! Eat the eggs whole, especially if you are doing low carb. I don't eat alot of cheese however, a serving now and and then is fine, but 3x daily is a bit much, I would substitute with a protein if I were you.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:05 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,328,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
I don't eat alot of cheese however, a serving now and and then is fine, but 3x daily is a bit much, I would substitute with a protein if I were you.
Soft cheeses are generally lower in carbs than hard cheeses. Go with brie instead of cheddar for a snack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss